BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Just now, mhead said:

Anyone else confused?

Is Connor Mahoney still a Rovers player?

Does he have to turn up for training next Wednesday?

Has anyone made an approach for Jason Lowe?

Or Charlie M.?

Unless he performs a U turn I very much doubt Mahoney will be arriving for training. His next appearance at Brockhall will be to clear his locker and say goodbye to everyone (If he hasn't already done that). His contract will expire on 1st July so I doubt Mowbray will expect him to train for a couple of days before disappearing.

Mulgrew will be on his holidays after Scotland duty and will probably get longer than the rest of the squad so expect his rumours to begin later.

Lowe was being linked with Sheffield United yesterday.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, mhead said:

Anyone else confused?

Is Connor Mahoney still a Rovers player?

Does he have to turn up for training next Wednesday?

Has anyone made an approach for Jason Lowe?

Or Charlie M.?

Mahoney will be out of contract so wouldn't think he would be turning up for pre season

We heard similar from Senior last January when in the end nothing was spent at a time a couple of decent modest reinforcements could have helped fight the disaster unfolding.

We aren't talking millions here it's likely to be a few hundred grand the difference between getting a guy you want or losing him to a Bury or someone. If your serious get signing !   All that's happening here will be finding some guaranteed incoming fees first before they sanction another outlay.

Just now, tomphil said:

We heard similar from Senior last January when in the end nothing was spent at a time a couple of decent modest reinforcements could have helped fight the disaster unfolding.

We aren't talking millions here it's likely to be a few hundred grand the difference between getting a guy you want or losing him to a Bury or someone. If your serious get signing !   All that's happening here will be finding some guaranteed incoming fees first before they sanction another outlay.

This is the fear. Although I read a reporter on twitter say we have cash bids in for a couple of players, but Mowbray is trying to keep in quite. I will try and find the tweet.

If its the same as it has been over the past coupe of seasons and Mowbray stands by and lets it happen, I can see myself losing all interest. 

Hopefully it is the former. 

Just now, tomphil said:

It's exactly why whilst exempt from FFP we should be plucking the best of LL talent young enough to grow through the leagues and enhance in value. End of the day players are assets. 

Mike cheston however can't or won't even though he's allowed still won't spreak to the owners it all goes through suhail. Someone must have told Venkys we needed 5.7 million this summer so why didn't they ask for a kitty and outline a plan like this. 

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

People will still find a negative in us spending money. What a joke.

I don't think people will...should it happen.

Key point - SHOULD

We have been here before, window after window and it reeks of groundhog day. Its easy to say bids have been made, just like they were 'made' in January. I like everyone else, hopes they do pay some fees and start sanctioning wages for us to build a quality side for this division, however, I will believe it when I see it. its amazing that after so many years of their actions that there are still so many people that are so easily duped by words without action.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Clubs with ambition and money to spend don't need to go into the local paper to tell everyone that they have made cash bids for players. They just get on with it in private, pay the going rate, recruit well, assemble a quality squad and then get the credit for it down the line when the results come.

The fact that Mowbray, like Paul Senior before him, has felt the need to go to the club's mouthpiece at the Telegraph and tell people bids have been made but that for whatever reason they haven't come to anything as yet, is so predictable. It tells me the club are worried about season ticket sales approaching the final week before the early bird deadline and feel that telling fans about money to spend rather than just getting on and doing it is going to encourage more to commit to next season.

I'm not calling Mowbray a liar. I suspect he has made bids for people. The question is whether those bids are remotely acceptable or just time wasting amounts. Offers were made to people like Marshall and Mahoney, allegedly, yet they were so derisory that the players went elsewhere.

Paul Senior was adamant that there was money to be spent in January and that bids were made. Where did that get us again? Lucas Joao on loan.

Would anyone really be surprised if a single penny wasn't spent this summer and then Mowbray/Cheston tell us in September that it wasn't for a lack of trying but value for money couldn't be reached? I expect the big excuse will be that League One clubs are holding us to ransom as they expect Rovers to pay more than the going rate.

I'd love to be proved wrong and hope I am, but this seems very familiar to windows past.

How do you know, the LT didnt go to Mowbray, and ask him these questions, which he answered?

Just now, Iceman said:

How do you know, the LT didnt go to Mowbray, and ask him these questions, which he answered?

Mowbray could just have said that work is going on behind the scenes to sign new players. He didn't need to specifically say that cash bids were on the table.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

The facts of the summer so far:

1) We've released 12 first team players who between them were taking in the region of £100k a week out of the club

2) We've signed 2 free agents who between them are probably earning about £15k a week

3) The club has therefore managed to shave off about £4 million from the payroll without lifting a finger

4) We're therefore 10 players down on the relegated squad of last season

5) The manager is talking about spending money but it hasn't happened yet. Sounds familiar.

6) The sales are yet to begin. No serious rumours linking any of our players with moves away yet.

That isn't being negative. That is reality. Hopefully it changes.

In your facts you forgot to mention £6 million lost in championship tv revenue. You also forgot to mention that despite all the players released we will be operating at a loss and most likely have the highest wage bill in league 1 with players like graham, mulgrew, bennett, feeney, williams, conway, steele all still contracted!

Just now, tugayislegend said:

In your facts you forgot to mention £6 million lost in championship tv revenue. You also forgot to mention that despite all the players released we will be operating at a loss and most likely have the highest wage bill in league 1 with players like graham, mulgrew, bennett, feeney, williams, conway, steele all still contracted!

And who is responsible for all that?

• Backroom

I think most want actions rather than words. Not an unreasonable request considering the amount of nonsense that has come out of the club over the past 7 years. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me... you can't get fooled again. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

As long as he doesn't say who the bids are for, why does it matter? 

So are fans complaining now because we have made bids? I'm confused :blink:

We say we've made bids. That doesn't mean we have or at least it doesn't mean that money will actually be spent. There is a pattern emerging here. It happened last summer when zilch was spent until assets were sold and even then they only allowed a very small amount back in. It happened in January when Paul Senior was smugly reporting on camera that there was money to spend and bids made but in the end nothing was spent and we got relegated. Now we're in another transfer window and we've got the manager adamant that cash is available and talking about spending it but it still hasn't been spent yet.

As I've said before, if they invest proper money into signing new players and keep those decent ones we already have then I'll admit I was wrong and they've had a good transfer window. There's a long time to go yet.

In all honesty out of the released players (Jason Lowe, Adam Henley, Hope Akpan, Danny Guthrie, Gordon Greer, Wes Brown, Joshua Askew, Mahoney and Ramirez Howarth plus a bunch of young players) who will we really miss?  Guthrie was injury prone but could play a bit, Lowe gets vilified on here and his ilk are ten a penny, Henley was both very poor and very injury prone, Akpan consistently went through the motions, Greer and Brown were way past it, Mahoney has good potential but hasn't had the opportunity to contribute much, Haworth and Askew... meh).  Without a shadow of doubt, the wages saved on them is upwards of 100k a week.  We can add to this the decent wages that people are forgetting that we would've paid for Hoban, Emnes, Hendrie, Joao, Gallagher, Samuelsson and Byrne.  Alongside Venkys and Coyle, a lot of those players attitudes and performances have a big say in regards to where we find ourselves now.  I genuinely won't miss them in the slightest and am glad we are due an overhaul with a proper manager now at the helm. 

In terms of what we have left, I think Raya is a very good, young goalkeeper, Williams is a decent fullback, Lenihan will cope well at this level, Conway will have the run of many a fullback in League One, I like the attitude and impact Bennett can make, Whittingham is an upgrade on what we have let go, Smallwood is a proven battler and spoiler at this level, Graham should be a menace in a League where the likes of Lee Trundle have been deemed as Demi-Gods :P Each and every one of those mentioned, is a grafter with ability and we need that much more than trying to unearth the next best thing in terms of young talent.

Sadly, I think that Mulgrew will be on the move, he is injury prone but is a class above any of those released so far.  Also, I expect Evans to go - who I feel has a lot to offer but just hasn't done it consistently enough - It would not surprise me if between these two, they are getting upwards of 40k a week between them and especially in terms of Evans, I don't think that is something the club should shoulder at this level.  Moving forwards and sticking to the theme of transfers, do I expect a major cash injection into the squad? No.  Do we need one or will shrewd frees, cheapies and decent loan signings do in this league? In my opinion, absolutely they will and with our facilities and players on our books, as embarrassing as it is to be here and say this, we are a major draw for the good quality League One players and aging but Championship players.

Just now, K-Hod said:

Because, BDS- with Venky's, actions speak louder than words!

Remember when they said they would 'respect Jack Walker's legacy'?

In their defence, English is their 2nd language and maybe they meant "disrespect Jack Walker's legacy".

Just now, K-Hod said:

Because, BDS- with Venky's, actions speak louder than words!

Remember when they said they would 'respect Jack Walker's legacy'?

Sign the likes of Beckham and Ronaldinho and be in Europe within 5 years...I could go on and on.

What they say and do have been polar opposites ever since they rocked up here.

Nobody is complaining 'bids' have been made. Most are just reacting to those that posted things like 'people will even complain that we are spending money' - which we havn't even done yet. 2 players in untolds out and off the wage bill - so in actual fact, they have saved money rather than spent any at this point.

Most would agree that it was a good thing that the dross is removed from our squad. 

Yes, actions speak louder than words and Mowbray has already signed 2 quality players at this level and has said more bids are in

I bet we will have a stronger squad at the start of this season, than at the start of the last. 

26 minutes ago, tugayislegend said:

Nowhere has it been said we'll be keeping this squad together.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, JacknOry said:

Sign the likes of Beckham and Ronaldinho and be in Europe within 5 years...I could go on and on.

What they say and do have been polar opposites ever since they rocked up here.

Nobody is complaining 'bids' have been made. Most are just reacting to those that posted things like 'people will even complain that we are spending money' - which we havn't even done yet. 2 players in untolds out and off the wage bill - so in actual fact, they have saved money rather than spent any at this point.

Oh aye, as you referenced, there are plenty of other examples of them not following through with what they promised. Sometimes, I feel like people are over-looking all this for some reason. It's so bizarre.

Archived