BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

We can't really afford to be offloading anyone at this stage given the threadbare nature of our squad. The only ones I'd be happy to see the back of are Steele and Stokes. If we bring enough in then we can start trimming back again.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

But that will mean we only signed players because we sold Feeney ;) 

I would like to keep him, I think his pace and experience would be useful in League 1. Having said that, he would be far down my list of "must keeps" and I hear we have a few good wingers in the under 23s

That's something we could live with :D

Yeah he may be ok at this level but hes on upper championship wages and he's another who only shows up when it suits. Bad attitude looks like at times and i was sick to the back teeth last season of the radio commentators in away games moaning about his body language and lack of tracking back etc.

Get rid if there's a chance no point carrying ghe likes of him if he isn't prepared to graft.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

But that will mean we only signed players because we sold Feeney ;) 

I would like to keep him, I think his pace and experience would be useful in League 1. Having said that, he would be far down my list of "must keeps" and I hear we have a few good wingers in the under 23s

Would we be wrong?

Its quite plausible that bids have been put in for some players, the Venkies are again umming and urring and could have said to get someone out first. Cue a few players being touted to clubs and Cardiff have shown some interest.

Not the worst player to lose but he is the only one with any pace of note. We drastically need some pace in the side.

• Backroom

The reasons I feel cautiously positive:

We've signed 2 free players who look at worst a small upgrade on what we had before, and whose styles look to complement each other.

The rumours of Bostock, Dack, and Oztumer came from external sources rather than LET or Rovers. Any of those three would appear a great signing and would require cash, which (imo) adds credence to Mowbray's insistence that we have bids in.

I think Mowbray comes across in the Bowyer mold of saying it as it is, and given the above, I think he's telling the truth about cash bids.

I'm perfectly aware of what's gone on under Venky's. I'm a regular at WMC meetings, am helping the Rovers Trust, and have taken part in all protests last season, and 2 in the Kean era. However, I'm willing to look at next season in a positive mindset because we OUGHT to be in the playoffs as a minimum imo IF the squad remains as it is.

5 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

Clubs with ambition and money to spend don't need to go into the local paper to tell everyone that they have made cash bids for players. They just get on with it in private, pay the going rate, recruit well, assemble a quality squad and then get the credit for it down the line when the results come.

The fact that Mowbray, like Paul Senior before him, has felt the need to go to the club's mouthpiece at the Telegraph and tell people bids have been made but that for whatever reason they haven't come to anything as yet, is so predictable. It tells me the club are worried about season ticket sales approaching the final week before the early bird deadline and feel that telling fans about money to spend rather than just getting on and doing it is going to encourage more to commit to next season.

I'm not calling Mowbray a liar. I suspect he has made bids for people. The question is whether those bids are remotely acceptable or just time wasting amounts. Offers were made to people like Marshall and Mahoney, allegedly, yet they were so derisory that the players went elsewhere.

Paul Senior was adamant that there was money to be spent in January and that bids were made. Where did that get us again? Lucas Joao on loan.

Would anyone really be surprised if a single penny wasn't spent this summer and then Mowbray/Cheston tell us in September that it wasn't for a lack of trying but value for money couldn't be reached? I expect the big excuse will be that League One clubs are holding us to ransom as they expect Rovers to pay more than the going rate.

I'd love to be proved wrong and hope I am, but this seems very familiar to windows past.

Mowbray answered the question Rich Sharpe asked him. Mowbray was being honest with the fans. I would rather have Mowbray being honest than lying or just talking BS.

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

4 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

It's exactly why whilst exempt from FFP we should be plucking the best of LL talent young enough to grow through the leagues and enhance in value. End of the day players are assets. 

Mike cheston however can't or won't even though he's allowed still won't spreak to the owners it all goes through suhail. Someone must have told Venkys we needed 5.7 million this summer so why didn't they ask for a kitty and outline a plan like this. 

I agree we should be buying some of talent in the Lower leagues and aswell as out of favour Championship players. pleased with Gladwin and Dack rumours. But we shouldn't rip of by their clubs for players out of contract in 12 months time.

I suspect the owners will foot the bill in league 1 for 1 season to get us promote.

wouldn't be surprise if Mowbray speaks direct to owners and not through Suhail or Cheston

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

Mowbray could just have said that work is going on behind the scenes to sign new players. He didn't need to specifically say that cash bids were on the table.

he did 2 weeks ago now he has gone further details about now us making cash buys

4 hours ago, tugayislegend said:

In your facts you forgot to mention £6 million lost in championship tv revenue. You also forgot to mention that despite all the players released we will be operating at a loss and most likely have the highest wage bill in league 1 with players like graham, mulgrew, bennett, feeney, williams, conway, steele all still contracted!

Yes we have probably highest wage bill but hopefully we have the best squad and a squad that will achieved promotion this season

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Most would agree that it was a good thing that the dross is removed from our squad. 

Yes, actions speak louder than words and Mowbray has already signed 2 quality players at this level and has said more bids are in

I bet we will have a stronger squad at the start of this season, than at the start of the last. 

Most of the out of contract players shouldn't have been given new contracts at all and that want Mowbray decide.

Yes we have signed 2 players to play in the formation and style wants to play and specific role with the team

I agree with your last sentence

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Nowhere has it been said we'll be keeping this squad together.

Mowbray said this after his trip to India that we are not under to pressure to sell and the owners have said he can keep this squad to it unless Mowbray wants someone to go

2 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Williams a decent full back? He's pish.

Can't tackle won't tackle, can't head won't head. Too often hugging mulgrew which suggests he's more suited or used to playing as a Left sided centre half and a full back who doesn't like to cross the half way line. Teams expolited this and anyone half quick soon got behind in that space he leaves.

Nice bloke like. He will be fine in L1 tbf but i was shocked when he collected player of the year.

Williams was very decent last season and improved a lot under Mowbray. He was more attacking under Mowbray than Coyle who seem to want him not to get far forward.

Fans voted for who they seen play well throughout the season not just a handful of games like yourself

39 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Some rumours of Feeney to Cardiff, i'd be all over that one if true he's another who's wages could be better invested elsewhere.

seen this on Twitter, Cardiff wanted him in January.

27 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

TM Say's there is some budget to play with and the Dack rumours seem to be coming from the Gillingham end not Rover's I'd suggest perhaps there is something to this.  

I'm not saying its sure but I have a feeling we have put a bid in for him how ever the phone may just ring out in India when it comes time to rubber stamp any cash buys if one is ever accepted.

This is very true that these rumours have come from Gillingham not Rovers side where it looks like Mowbray is trying not to allows targets being leak to the press

17 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We can't really afford to be offloading anyone at this stage given the threadbare nature of our squad. The only ones I'd be happy to see the back of are Steele and Stokes. If we bring enough in then we can start trimming back again.

yes we can afford to get rid of certain players who aren't going to be part of the first team squad. I would be very happy to see Feeney, Steele and Stokes. we could bring in experience number 2 to Raya or promote Fisher to number 2 but I would loan him out for game time.

Chadster..

We know what TM has said and i'd wager Lambert, Bowyer & Coyle said similar which later changes to 'when the player wants to go we can't stand in his way' or similar. Every single manager under Venkys has been overruled by someone when push comes to shove so no reason to expect different this time really.

I don't think any player is ever "not for sale" with our owners. Every player has a price and if money is dangled in front of them they will take it at whatever consequence. Example: selling both centre backs in the same window ultimately resulting in relegation.

There is no long-term play with this lot. Only short term greed.

The one slight thing that may be a saving grace this time in terms of Graham & Mulgrew is the wages they are on and the fitness of them probably means no one will take a punt. Possibly some might offer to just take over their contracts but we know Vs & partners like a fee so it may be a non starter and there is no coin to pay them off without sales.

Therefore there is a chance they'll stay although they still need to be up for it. Personally I think we'll hang on to Graham for these reasons but someone might do a deal for Mulgrew, an undisclosed last min of transfer window deal that is ;)

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I don't think any player is ever "not for sale" with our owners. Every player has a price and if money is dangled in front of them they will take it at whatever consequence. Example: selling both centre backs in the same window ultimately resulting in relegation.

There is no long-term play with this lot. Only short term greed.

Nail on head! And bringing in injured geriatrics as cover.

And still people wonder how relegation conspiracies arise.

:D

In regards to a budget or anything I don't think Lambert or Coyle ever were promised budgets to spend on transfer fees. Mowbray going to the press saying about money and fees, then makes it almost impossible for them to say no there's no money, because no manager regardless of pay would come here if they knew Venkys give nothing out when they have properly promised it (face to face meeting). Whenever a manager has actually made an effort to go to India it has come with money to budget. 

Everyone says Lambert was promised this and that. I think he bottled it, didn't go to India and expected 30m to spend. 

I expect Mulgrew, Feeney, Steele, Stokes and maybe Lenihan to leave. Too expensive for league 1. (Impossible to keep them in this day and age) with that our budget will increase and be able to get players in that we need. 

To me it seems like Rovers have had a major wake up call. (7 years too late) but still a wake up call. 

Mowbray acting early in the market, signing a player we had no right to get in Peter Whittingham. And us being linked with decent players is extremely promising this early on. 

I am assuming the accountants have said invest or in danger of being put into administration at the unsustainable losses we have been making.

The cut in wages etc should mean that our losses are reduced drastically too. Help build us up from the bottom.

To late for showing ambition. Should have done that years ago. Nothing. I repeat nothing they do from now will ever get a thumbs up from me. Sooner theyre gone the better. Cant believe some people have already forgotten the last 7 years.

4 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

In regards to a budget or anything I don't think Lambert or Coyle ever were promised budgets to spend on transfer fees. Mowbray going to the press saying about money and fees, then makes it almost impossible for them to say no there's no money, because no manager regardless of pay would come here if they knew Venkys give nothing out when they have properly promised it (face to face meeting). Whenever a manager has actually made an effort to go to India it has come with money to budget. 

Everyone says Lambert was promised this and that. I think he bottled it, didn't go to India and expected 30m to spend. 

I expect Mulgrew, Feeney, Steele, Stokes and maybe Lenihan to leave. Too expensive for league 1. (Impossible to keep them in this day and age) with that our budget will increase and be able to get players in that we need. 

To me it seems like Rovers have had a major wake up call. (7 years too late) but still a wake up call. 

Mowbray acting early in the market, signing a player we had no right to get in Peter Whittingham. And us being linked with decent players is extremely promising this early on. 

I am assuming the accountants have said invest or in danger of being put into administration at the unsustainable losses we have been making.

The cut in wages etc should mean that our losses are reduced drastically too. Help build us up from the bottom.

A wake up call? Exactly what has happened since relegation that makes you think Venkys even know we've been relegated? 

At least one of them has agreed to meet Mowbray and promised to 'back' him whilst handing him an extended contract and letting him run the show without a director of football and appoint his best mate as assistant. Mowbray would be insane to walk away from that without first giving them a chance to see if it can work.

They met Bowyer, heck he delivered them tens of millions in profits over 2 years and got on with Mrs Desai yet they still started selling players from under him without notice and then sacked him. 

If you're right and those players leave this summer then we can forget about promotion. Its tough enough as it is now, having to replace the 12 that have already gone. Another 5+ departures of quality first team players to replace will be nigh on impossible. 

You say it is impossible to keep those players in this day and age. Why? Bolton kept virtually all their squad intact despite a big wage bill and having all sorts of financial problems and because of that got promoted. So it certainly isn't impossible. No doubt Cheston will want people to believe it is but it really isn't. All it takes is owners who are prepared to fund the shortfall to bounce back up, a manager the better players trust and believe in and new signings that demonstrate a determination to go back up immediately. Spending nothing all summer doesn't look like a club/owners completely serious about promotion to me.

Just now, roverandout said:

To late for showing ambition. Should have done that years ago. Nothing. I repeat nothing they do from now will ever get a thumbs up from me. Sooner theyre gone the better. Cant believe some people have already forgotten the last 7 years.

This is my own feeling really.

But ( hear the devil whisper) what if they are finally starting to do things differently? What if we do start to romp this division? Will I deprive myself?

It would be so much simpler, if recent activity meant they were on the brink of selling to someone else. Someone said their cash injection would take us to the end of June. Maybe, that is why there were two firms of accountants..Get behind me, Dunnfc!

I am sure I am not the only one. 40 plus years can't be rubbed out, as if it were nothing. But this is the moment to pinch myself and write in blood:

After Steve Kean, Agnew and Shebby Singh- even after the Lambert lie-what did they do? Owen Coyle!!!

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

But ( hear the devil whisper) what if they are finally starting to do things differently? 

There's no reason to think that at this stage. Substitute Coyle/Stewart for Mowbray/Venus. Substitute 12 players out last summer for 12 players out this, substitute a couple of early impressive signings, Whittingham and Smallwood for Graham and Stokes last summer.

Double figures out, less than half that in, massive reduction in wages paid, plenty of talk about money being spent though none actually spent.

It could really be 2016 all over again, except we're in a lower division but at least have a better man and better manager at the helm.

Still got the oaf Cheston and shadow director lurking around the place also.

Nowt changed as far as I can tell.

If we are towards the top end of the league it won't be because of a revolutionary new approach from Venkys. 

7 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

But ( hear the devil whisper) what if they are finally starting to do things differently? What if we do start to romp this division? Will I deprive myself?

Don't think this way Len. You'll only end up self-harming.

8 hours ago, roverandout said:

Nothing to do with forgetting. Just got to move on from it. The last 7 years have shownthat literally nothing we do can change there mind. 

I want them to sell as much as anyone.

Got to get over it, back Blackburn support them, because who knows when/if the venkys will sell. 

Archived