BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Player of the Season - So Far....

Player of the Season - So Far....  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Player Of The Season?

• Richard Smallwood
    • Bradley Dack
    • Charlie Mulgrew
    • Danny Graham
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/18 at 11:04

Such a tough one. Smallwood has been the midfield player we have not had in years, Dack has been unbelievable at times but if I had to choose one right now, it would be Mulgrew. Mainly for his performance and the ability to find the net regularly from deadballs but also because of the leadership he brings.

• Backroom

It's obviously between Dack and Mulgrew, nobody else is anywhere close, but I'd go with Dack. Defensively we haven't been hugely impressive this season despite Mulgrew's individual efforts, whereas offensively we have been good and a lot of that stems from Dack's creativity and perseverance - on top of his individual effort. 

Smallwood has been very good in the centre but without the likes of Dack or Mulgrew in the team it would only count for so much. 

If DG had been perfoming like he has been in recent games all season he would be up there as well. Smallwood, Dack and Mulgrew are the main men though with the latter two  being neck and neck for player of the year.

Objectively, I know that without Smallwood Dack doesn't get the freedom to do what he does, and I know that Charlie's leadership and experience steadies the ship (and it's been a very long time since I've expected goals whenever we've won a free kick in the way I do when he picks the ball up) but heart over head Dack is just magic at this level. I'm not sure of the last time we had an attacking player in his prime who just looked too good for the opposition (relative to the division) almost whenever he was on the pitch, Bellamy maybe?

They are definitely the three though. And I think it reflects very well that two of them were new signings this season. Better recruitment than we've had in a while.

Mulgrew is class but gets injured too often, and while Smallwood has been hugely influential it's Dack by some distance. He's won us games on his own and rescued points when defeat loomed with brilliant goals. And he always puts in a shift. 

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Mulgrew is class but gets injured too often, and while Smallwood has been hugely influential it's Dack by some distance. He's won us games on his own and rescued points when defeat loomed with brilliant goals. And he always puts in a shift. 

Mulgrew has so far missed two games this season through injury and one through illness. He has played in most of the cup games too. 

• Backroom

I've gone for Dack... as others have said he's a league, maybe 2 leagues above this level. Exceptional.

My second pick would be Ryan Nyambe, he has come on leaps and bounds this season and apart from last night I genuinely would have given him MOTM the past 4 or 5 games. 

Just now, Madon said:

I've gone for Dack... as others have said he's a league, maybe 2 leagues above this level. Exceptional.

My second pick would be Ryan Nyambe, he has come on leaps and bounds this season and apart from last night I genuinely would have given him MOTM the past 4 or 5 games. 

@JAL

And so it begins..

• Moderation Lead

I think it's hard to go beyond Dack, for me. I mentioned in the other thread that IMO if he's not at it, the team tend not to be, I genuinely think he's that vital to the way we play.

It's also incredibly refreshing to see a midfielder of ours that drives forward and looks to beat a man.

Hell of a long time since we've been spoiled for choice like this long may it continue in recent years it's more likely been who do you hate most :lol:

I've gone for Smallwood given that the others you know what they can do it was just a question of them doing it although Dack is better than I thought. Smallwood though not much was expected of him I think it's fair to say but he's turned out to be what we've missed for years and has a good level of consistency. Can't ask for anymore other than he keeps it up.

17 minutes ago, DE. said:

Remember the year Marcus Olsson got player of the season? The highlight package consisted of a couple of crosses and a tackle. We finished 9th that year! 

Didn't Williams get it last year? Last few years its almost been 'give it to the player that has been the least shittest and is actually a Rovers player and not on loan'

• Backroom
Just now, JacknOry said:

Didn't Williams get it last year? Last few years its almost been 'give it to the player that has been the least shittest and is actually a Rovers player and not on loan'

I think recently it's just handed to whoever plays the most games during the season. The year Olsson won it we had Rhodes with 21 goals, Gestede with 22 goals and Conway with 10 assists... at the time I do remember people saying Olsson deserved it though, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

Don’t we usually sell our player of the year pretty quickly or have I got that wrong?

Correct! Corry Evans has had a cracking season so far...

10 hours ago, Madon said:

10 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

@JAL

And so it begins..

The guys obviously not seen the last two games and goals we conceded from Ryan maybe that's OK in his game oh well.

Really tough. Three outstanding candidates.

Dack is just exceptional - plays with a smile on his face and excites, creates, finishes clinically and carrys the ball so effortlessly.

If we had Richie we simply wouldn’t have gone down, he wouldn’t have let it happen. He’s been a revelation and exactly what we’ve been missing for so long.

But we are so lucky to have Mulgrew. His quality, assuredness, and set piece execution is sublime at the moment. Personality wise he’s got that quiet steely, confident, leading by example thing that a good team spirit revolves around...

Almost impossible to pick but in the end I plumped for Charlie because he’s got the nicest hair.

Archived