BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth v Rovers

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Evans is very average, I agree, but I would not feel confident putting the inexperienced Travis in just yet, and Bennett has had a really poor season, and was poor again. Its a headache for the manager of the bad kind. 

He did, but Graham has been excellent recently (criminally under supported today) and him and Dack cant be dropped, nor should we make a complicated new formation to suit him.

Travis who perform very well doesnt play but average performer Evans does? Doesnt make sense. 

Bennett wasnt poor and had a decent season. 

Graham need more support so why not play Armstrong up front with him and Dack behind to create more space for him. 

How is 3-4-1-2 a complicated system at all?.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Travis who perform very well doesnt play but average performer Evans does? Doesnt make sense. 

Bennett wasnt poor and had a decent season. 

Graham need more support so why not play Armstrong up front with him and Dack behind to create more space for him. 

I dont personally think he played very well. But like I said, I'm not necessarily saying Evans deserves to play, I agree its a weak point, ideally I'd play Whittingham there.

Can you explain how he has had a decent season without saying works hard? 

He was good at the end of last season so dropping down a league he should flourish.

27 games, no goals, only 4 assists, a red card for diving with another in the cup for petulance. I've given you evidence as to why I feel hes been poor as an attacking player, can you show me how you think hes been good?

Because its totally different to the 4-2-3-1 theyve been playing all season. 2 centre backs becomes 3, one striker becomes 2, players playing full back become wing backs, set piece set ups change at both ends, its not something you can change overnight, its something that requires time to practice and train on and adapt to, time we dont have.

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Even though it would leave our best attacking player out of position? Or out of the team?

Why? I presume you're talking about Dack?

What's his position, in 'the hole, number 10'? he's been relatively anonymous recently.

In a 442, he could complement Graham admirably in a more advanced role as part of the 2, there's nothing to say that he can't drop deeper as and when necessary.

To be perfectly honest, Mowbray has missed the biggest trick of all by not signing the dominant central defender that we have craved. If we'd shored up the back then his options would have been endless but as things stand we always seem to be trying a right back at left back or centre half, a winger in central midfield, a cultured midfielder at centre half and make do and mend all over the park. Mowbray over thinks and over complicates everything unnecessarily. Football's a simple game IF you get the BASICS right and put square pegs in square holes.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont personally think he played very well. But like I said, I'm not necessarily saying Evans deserves to play, I agree its a weak point, ideally I'd play Whittingham there.

Can you explain how he has had a decent season without saying works hard? 

He was good at the end of last season so dropping down a league he should flourish.

27 games, no goals, only 4 assists, a red card for diving with another in the cup for petulance. I've given you evidence as to why I feel hes been poor as an attacking player, can you show me how you think hes been good?

Because its totally different to the 4-2-3-1 theyve been playing all season. 2 centre backs becomes 3, one striker becomes 2, players playing full back become wing backs, set piece set ups change at both ends, its not something you can change overnight, its something that requires time to practice and train on and adapt to, time we dont have.

Whittingham? Another one who been poor. Done owt again. 

I will give u Bennett stats tomorrow when Ive research there. 

On formation,.maybe Mowbray has been working at 3 at the back for a few weeks without us knowing. 

Dack, Graham and Armstrong all linked well for Armstrong goal. They could do that all game and trouble every team in this league

4 hours ago, Al said:

I think Nyambe needs dropping for a while. He's given two goals away in recent matches by not being strong enough and being bullied off the ball. Stops breaks forward by stopping and playing the ball back, thus allowing the opposition to regroup.

Of all Nyambe's faults one thing I didn't think I'd see from him was how easy he is being knocked off the ball always thought he was a strong boy.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Evans??? Why? Done nowt all season. 

Armstrong wide? Why? He a striker. Play him there

No Travis? Why??? Played well now drop totally. Clueless

You say that about Armstrong Chaddy yet when we first signed him you said he was more than capable of playing wide of a front three? Just because you're now championing the 3-5-2 as the saviour of our season you're insisting Armstrong is a striker and only that. I agree Armstrong should be playing upfront but you change your mind more times than we concede goals! 

10 minutes ago, Butty said:

You say that about Armstrong Chaddy yet when we first signed him you said he was more than capable of playing wide of a front three? Just because you're now championing the 3-5-2 as the saviour of our season you're insisting Armstrong is a striker and only that. I agree Armstrong should be playing upfront but you change your mind more times than we concede goals! 

I said since Armstrong joined he should play up front..yes he can play wide but he a striker.

With Armstrong and Bell signed in January. We now have 2/3 wing backs in squad who can make 3-5-2 would work imo 

42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

This system, which is effectively 352 can only be played at this level if you have 2 things. 3 ball playing centre halves who are comfortable with the ball, we have 1. Also, high energy pacey wing backs. We have none. We'd struggle with this formation in my opinion 

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Whittingham? Another one who been poor. Done owt again. 

I will give u Bennett stats tomorrow when Ive research there. 

On formation,.maybe Mowbray has been working at 3 at the back for a few weeks without us knowing. 

Dack, Graham and Armstrong all linked well for Armstrong goal. They could do that all game and trouble every team in this league

I feel Whittingham has not met expectations but has been better than the rest of the sorry bunch there. 

Given you the stats. Felt he could rip up League 1 but sadly that hasnt happened. His mistake that led to their second goal today.

Nothing would indicate as such.

The 3 of them AND Payne all linked very well v Walsall. Looked well balanced, fluid and theres an additional attacking player compared to your team. Surely the best bet?

I said since Armstrong joined he should play up front..yes he can play wide but he a striker.

With Armstrong and Bell signed in January. We now have 2/3 wing backs in squad who can make 3-5-2 would work imo 

Chaddy, you're falling into the trap. Bell is the only player we've got that could be considered either a natural full back or wing back.

Armstrong, Payne, Samuel, Anthonnson, Nuttall are all central strikers but could fill in elsewhere if necessary and do. Mulgrew and Lenihan are midfield players, I'm sure you get my drift.

Filling in occasionally is fine but how it is and has been is just wrong and will never be successful. Square pegs in square holes!

Just now, darrenrover said:

Chaddy, you're falling into the trap. Bell is the only player we've got that could be considered either a natural full back or wing back.

Armstrong, Payne, Samuel, Anthonnson, Nuttall are all central strikers but could fill in elsewhere if necessary and do. Mulgrew and Lenihan are midfield players, I'm sure you get my drift.

Filling in occasionally is fine but how it is and has been is just wrong and will never be successful. Square pegs in square holes!

Bennett and Travis. 

Mulgrew and Lenihan are centre backs not midfielders

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I feel Whittingham has not met expectations but has been better than the rest of the sorry bunch there. 

Given you the stats. Felt he could rip up League 1 but sadly that hasnt happened. His mistake that led to their second goal today.

Nothing would indicate as such.

The 3 of them AND Payne all linked very well v Walsall. Looked well balanced, fluid and theres an additional attacking player compared to your team. Surely the best bet?

Whittingham.hasnt performed. Travis has. 

I find some Bennett stats tomorrow for you. 

Not the best bet in my opinion. Ive told you my team and formation and why? How many more times do I need to explain to you. Blimey it getting boring. 

Our returning players ought to be a big positive. We've done well in recent months with a lot of quality out injured. We're told that in the next few weeks most of those should be back available. Any League One side welcoming back Lenihan, Chapman, Antonsson, Whittingham and Evans to fitness in the next few weeks should be too much for this league. 

However I get the impression here that the more options we have available the more confused Mowbray is going to end up and the more chopping and changing we are going to see in order to ensure everyone gets game time. 

Bennett and Travis. 

Mulgrew and Lenihan are centre backs not midfielders

Whittingham.hasnt performed. Travis has. 

I find some Bennett stats tomorrow for you. 

Not the best bet in my opinion. Ive told you my team and formation and why? How many more times do I need to explain to you. Blimey it getting boring. 

I'm a big fan of Travis and would like to see him get a chance but to say he has performed whilst Whittingham hasn't isn't fair. 

Travis has had a couple of bench appearances in the league and has looked good. Whittingham has played much more than that and I'm not sure how you can say he 'hasn't performed'. 

15 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

This system, which is effectively 352 can only be played at this level if you have 2 things. 3 ball playing centre halves who are comfortable with the ball, we have 1. Also, high energy pacey wing backs. We have none. We'd struggle with this formation in my opinion 

This !

If we start Pompey with any 3/5 at the back formation we'll get mullered imo it's just too easy for opposition to aim balls in behind the full backs and drag the three all over the shop. This team isn't good enough technically for fancy stuff.

Just now, tomphil said:

This !

If we start Pompey with any 3/5 at the back formation we'll get mullered imo it's just too easy for opposition to aim balls in behind the full backs and drag the three all over the shop. This team isn't good enough technically for fancy stuff.

I totally agree. 

Mowbray needs to look back at what worked well against Shrewsbury, the first half at Fleetwood and in spells against Walsall and what hasn't worked time and again against the lesser teams in the league.

If Mowbray hadn't buggered about, yet again, for the past 4 matches we could and should have had 12 points from our last 4 games and been top of the league. 5 points is a poor return.

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Our returning players ought to be a big positive. We've done well in recent months with a lot of quality out injured. We're told that in the next few weeks most of those should be back available. Any League One side welcoming back Lenihan, Chapman, Antonsson, Whittingham and Evans to fitness in the next few weeks should be too much for this league. 

However I get the impression here that the more options we have available the more confused Mowbray is going to end up and the more chopping and changing we are going to see in order to ensure everyone gets game time. 

Totally agree with this, but first he will work out how "tough" the opposition is and worry about their "good players" then put out the wrong team for Rovers with the wrong formation and be pleased with a point in the face of such tough opposition.

7 hours ago, tomphil said:

There'll be changes again both selection and tactics and I think we'll lose this by two or three, another big crowd and fired up team, another midweek game and another set of ready made excuses.

To be honest i'd be tempted to go 442 with two banks of four and get right back to basics if he's going to play defensive on the wings then do it properly instead of expecting strikers/midfielders or defenders to sit there and turn into Harry Chapman when we counter.

I think we are in for a sticky patch for a game or two then hopefully they'll get it together again.

Pompey 3   Rovers 1

If we go 4-4-2 who do you play as your wide men?I'd argue Conway is our only natural winger and his legs have gone.

Payne is a good player but it's clear to see he is better suited to playing the same position as Dack so I would have rathered Mowbray had brought in and out and out winger.

It would be nice to see Armstrong and Graham as a pairing but with our lack of natural wingers I don't see how it can happen unless he goes with 3 at the back with Dack in behind or a diamond in midfield with one holding midfielder and Dack at the tip but we would probably get overrun in midfield if we played like that

We've looked most solid at the back when Antonson has given protection on the left, I'd go back to the system that was working in the winning run, and rest Dack.

Raya

Nyambe Downing Mulgrew Bell

Armstrong Smallwood Bennett Antonson

Payne Graham 

Portsmouth will play an aggressive, high tempo game, the type of which we have struggled against this season and first and foremost Mowbray has to get his players to match this. Our aim has to be to keep a clean sheet to give us a chance of winning but to do this we need to be compact with two banks of four and not letting Portsmouth play between these lines. If Graham is picked he simply has to do more to hold the ball up and retain possession.

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

If we go 4-4-2 who do you play as your wide men?I'd argue Conway is our only natural winger and his legs have gone.

Payne is a good player but it's clear to see he is better suited to playing the same position as Dack so I would have rathered Mowbray had brought in and out and out winger.

It would be nice to see Armstrong and Graham as a pairing but with our lack of natural wingers I don't see how it can happen unless he goes with 3 at the back with Dack in behind or a diamond in midfield with one holding midfielder and Dack at the tip but we would probably get overrun in midfield if we played like that

You are right about our lack of wingers atm without Chapman. So play a formation with wingers doesnt make sense. 

This is why I suggest 3 at the back plus we now have a left wing back in Bell and either Travis or Bennett at right wing back. Also look an Armstrong goal where Dack, Graham and Armstrong all link up together. Armstrong will score goals if he up front

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

I'm a big fan of Travis and would like to see him get a chance but to say he has performed whilst Whittingham hasn't isn't fair. 

Travis has had a couple of bench appearances in the league and has looked good. Whittingham has played much more than that and I'm not sure how you can say he 'hasn't performed'. 

I would like to know which games Whittingham has performed in and show his ability and you come away from the game thinking he was good today? Not very many. 

2 hours ago, OJRovers said:

We've looked most solid at the back when Antonson has given protection on the left, I'd go back to the system that was working in the winning run, and rest Dack.

Raya

Nyambe Downing Mulgrew Bell

Armstrong Smallwood Bennett Antonson

Payne Graham 

Rest Dack? You must be joking!!  ??

Archived