BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

4 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

I just can't find myself getting too excited about young PL loans for a season.

Just racking my brain and how many players have we ever signed on loan (and NOT signed permanently) that have gone on to promising careers?

(Cariney, King, Rudy obvs don't count as they were made permanent, and players like Marcus Babbel etc were already established - even Santa Cruz and Bentley were garbage when they came back!)

I came up with Michael Keane... Any others?

Nonda has done okay, now at Galatasaray, plays European football regularly etc.

Danny Simpson gone on to win the Premier League.

Jermaine Jones you could say carried on playing a a good level in germany and in a world cup.

Mame Diouf, carried on playing in Premier League, but now in Championship.

Michael Keane,  done regrettably well EDIT Sorry you said Keane

Edited by AAK

Just now, AAK said:

Jermaine Jones you could say carried on playing a a good level in germany and in a world cup.

He must be in his 40's by now!

8 minutes ago, AAK said:

Good memory, I didn't think too hard about our loans back when we were a Premier League team. To this day I have no clue how Danny Simpson became a title winning RB.

What about Championship loans? Todd Kane, Doniel Henry, Jack Bryne. Certainly no Eyal Berkovic.

We did do well enough in League 1, so perhaps I should have a little extra faith in TM.

Edited by Angry_Pirate

28 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

We need two. Any less and we are weaker than last season upfront in options.

We will probably sign someone who can cover inside forward and upfront like Armstrong. In fact, hopefully it is Armstrong. 

We have Samuel and Nuttall. I hope they have good pre-seasons. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AAK said:

Ya, and we are a Premier league club, Big Sam is our manager and nobody has ever heard of Venkys :) The future looks bright. What could possibly go wrong?

I liked Nonda when he was here. Was a handful 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Good memory, I didn't think too hard about our loans back when we were a Premier League team. To this day I have no clue how Danny Simpson became a title winning RB.

What about Championship loans? Todd Kane, Doniel Henry, Jack Bryne. Certainly no Eyal Berkovic.

We did do well enough in League 1, so perhaps I should have a little extra faith in TM.

Ha, yeh sorry, meant to put 'played' - he retired 8 years ago did Nonda

Wonder if there is something in this Maddison link, a few of their fans think we are in for him and their chairman on twitter isn't replying to any questions from Rovers fans about the link but is replying to others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gladwingone said:

Obviously you are very happy with where we are. You don't post on the LT as John Claret do you Joe ?

3rd division team gets promoted.

Now needs better team to compete in Championship.

Loan players go back to parent clubs so now 3rd division team is even weaker. 

No first team signings yet. Just a couple of lads for the U23.

We need players (TM calls them "men" and regularly reminds us that's what we need) who will be able to WIN GAMES week in week out in the Championship.

A better team than we had last season... 200 pages... still waiting for any kind of sign that might happen. 7 players required.

The aim this season is the play-offs.

You may well be content with 4th bottom.

Leonard correctly calls it "managed decline".

Not happy with bottom Championship. Relegation. Promotion. Happy with bottom of Championship.

You numbskull

"Waggout" - not a bad idea that pal.

But I am waiting for the (2 week overdue) announcement of the new senior management team before I change it.

Being happier that we have a semblance of a plan is tantamount to being John Claret? I’m afraid to say, we both know that JC is the biggest WUM on the LT boards, I’m guessing he is a massive inspiration for you? A role model maybe... 

I was going to start debating the idea that these two signings are definitely for first team squad, but then I remembered that it’s pointless and I’d be giving you the attention you crave.

The target for you might be playoffs, but anyone who isn’t a complete WUM knows that realistically, staying up is the main plan! Anything on top is bonus.

• Like 1

Imagine if we got Bauer, Maddison, Armstrong and Chapman all bought, and then loaned a Premier League Striker. 

SIgning those 4 fits in with positions of need, what Mowbray says about younger players with resell value. Could get most of that done with the Josh King Cut.

Playoffs, you want to talk about playoffs.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Imagine if we got Bauer, Maddison, Armstrong and Chapman all bought, and then loaned a Premier League Striker. 

SIgning those 4 fits in with positions of need, what Mowbray says about younger players with resell value. Could get most of that done with the Josh King Cut.

Be better if we signed a decent striker rather than loaned one. I'd be quite happy if we kicked off the season with no loans on the books. Not against a couple of them as late options but there needs to be contracted permanent options up front to go with DG rather than game time for someone for 6 months before having to replace him again.

I agree there is no rush on PL loans, let those teams do their business and then the better quality players will be available on deadline day and beyond throughout August.

Example springs to mind is we loan Jack Byrne too early as Man City knew he's miles away and then a matter of weeks later Huddersfield loan Aaron Mooy.

Bide our time on PL loans.

Edited by Angry_Pirate
  • Like 1

Just now, Ricky said:

The two over the line are surely the two we have signed.... that’s how I read it anyway.

"But we have one or two over the line now" So he isn't sure if both Rothwell and Davenport are over the line then?

Just now, Gladwingone said:

Last year TM was talking about the plan after promotion, being to "bounce through the Championship".

Now I expect he is busy bringing in the players that are going to do just that, fully backed by the owners.

I am just surprised that 200 pages later we are still waiting :rolleyes:

You ask for promotion, and further investment in the club from the owners to deliver you expectations, but you won’t even back them by watching them.

Give me a thousand @blueboy3333 ‘s over this kind of trash posting.

2 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Love the optimism but I think we need to enjoy this year. Consolidating our status must be the priority and build on the positivity. We can't overshoot and expect things and rush things. With that squad while we could go up we would head straight back down from the PL. We need to build a squad that is ready and good to go to handle the PL and build on it when we head up. I would be happy to see our young team develop and move in the right direction. 

• Like 1

A few weeks ago , not long after promotion actually somebody said something to me , which I have never posted because it was so preposterous at the time I didnt believe it myself and that was that Mowbray didn't think Smallwood was good enough for championship and was looking to replace him ....., fast forward and we've 2 midfielders signed ( ok they may or may not have been signed to go straight into the first 11) and now we have been linked to a 3rd in Morrison 

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

So if Marriott transfers to Forest or Bristol City and notches 20 goals next season will you maintain the view that his 'all round game' isn't good enough or accept that perhaps he is good enough for Rovers?

Strikers deal in a currency of goals, everything else is a sideshow.

is Marriott going to Forest or Bristol City? have they made a bid for him yet?

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I never said that Rhodes is a better player now, or that King hasnt developed a lot since he left us. Our strikers guaranteed us over 40 goals so your idiotic plan to drop one wouldnt have got us any more goals, both as an individual or as a team.

Goalkeepers that can pick a pass are no good if they dont make saves. Defenders who bring it out from the back are no good if they cant defend. Wingers who can beat a man but then do nothing after are no good. A strikers primary job is to score goals. Yes he needs other qualities ideally but if hes scoring 20 goals he is undroppable.

He hasnt said "ive signed him to play him out of position on the wing leaving us with no pace out wide" and besides I stand by my assertion that Bennett and central midfielder Rothwell both playing wide will give us little attacking threat and leave us unable to counter on teams. I think Mowbray is wiser than that anyway so its a moot point.

Yeah, im unconvinced when you account for the step up in quality that he woule be good enough.

Only because youre a martyr to transfer gossip. Its unprofessional and I wouldnt like to be a manager for him.

We have no idea what a Gestede or King partnership would have bought more goals or a better all round team or whether we would have challenge better with that partnership. Fact is with Rhodes/Gestede partnership we never properly challenge for a top 6. 

On Rothwell's role, Mowbray comment was " 

oe was a thorn in our side. He was picking the ball up and travelling with it. He travels with the ball very well and is a good athlete. He’s the type I like to add to the team.

“He’s almost an inverted winger and if there are times where we are defending deep then we know Joe can carry the ball 50 or 60 yards and do it pretty quickly."

how do you how Edwards will do at Championship unless you give him a chance? His stats are good at league 1 level. Nobody knew how Rhodes would adapt to the step up a level but he did during his time here

No I like the open and honestly comments from the Peterborough owner and he communicated to his own fans and other fans

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

Makes sense with Mowbray with Morrison being a Middlesbrough lad and Mowbray took him to WBA. Think he'd be a good signing in the Championship but not sure if he's fit, seemed to miss last season with inury.

would be decent if his injury have gone.