BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Don't know what to make of the latest take on things in the Telegraph. Sounds like Brereton is imminent and to be honest both Mowbray and Karanka have suggested it is close so that is good news.

The Telegraph are saying 'at least 2' in this week which is well short of what Mowbray wanted of 4-5 even with Rodwell added.

Mowbray is still pushing that he wants permanent players for the longer term which is clearly the best way to do business yet we've just added Rodwell until the end of the season and it sounds as though Harrison Reed will only be a season long loan, so we're not building for the future there.

I'd be pleased with Brereton but would still want and be disappointed if we didn't get at least another 2 on permanent terms who will stick with the club long term.

I'm as skeptical as you but the other day I'm sure LT were reporting a couple of attacking players.  Reed can't be classed as that.  Maybe, see someone off the radar coming in permanently with Brereton.  Otherwise we are short of the permanent players.  I don't think Rodwell counts in that quota. 

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Don't know what to make of the latest take on things in the Telegraph. Sounds like Brereton is imminent and to be honest both Mowbray and Karanka have suggested it is close so that is good news.

The Telegraph are saying 'at least 2' in this week which is well short of what Mowbray wanted of 4-5 even with Rodwell added.

Mowbray is still pushing that he wants permanent players for the longer term which is clearly the best way to do business yet we've just added Rodwell until the end of the season and it sounds as though Harrison Reed will only be a season long loan, so we're not building for the future there.

I'd be pleased with Brereton but would still want and be disappointed if we didn't get at least another 2 on permanent terms who will stick with the club long term.

Disappointed? So far we have signed 4 players on permanent deals and 1 on loan. Reed and Brereton will bring the total of new players up to 7, with only 2 of those on loan ,with no option to buy. Mowbray has also made Travis part of the 1st team. Rodwell on a 1 year deal makes sense, if he goes well, he will get another contract.   So you want 2 more permanents this week as well as Brereton? Man, are you ever happy? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I'm as skeptical as you but the other day I'm sure LT were reporting a couple of attacking players.  Reed can't be classed as that.  Maybe, see someone off the radar coming in permanently with Brereton.  Otherwise we are short of the permanent players.  I don't think Rodwell counts in that quota. 

Short of permanent players?

We have 5 signings so far. 4 permanent and 1 loan. With 1 loan to buy in January and just 1 simple loan. So thats 5 permanent signings and 2 loans. With January only 4 months were we can look to add 2 or 3 players possible. 

Rovers fans are never happy with their lot! Always finding something to whine and whinge about.

On the back of a successful return to the Championship we sit in5th spot unbeaten with a healthy squad who wear the shirt with pride. Couple this with the lot that have gone before and who screwed the club rotten and there is a huge difference in atmosphere.

This is BRFC 2018: a complete rebuild of the club and it’s looking rosey - red rosey in fact.

Some need to lose the negativity and get behind the club 100%. Stop whining your sounding like a downtrodden John claret!

Dont worry be happy for once. it’s the bank holiday, it’s not raining and all is good in the world of Blackburn Rovers FC????

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

You’d be disappointed!? Mate, we’re 5th in the league with a team full of lads willing to die for the cause. We’ve signed some fantastic players this window already along with potential and we’re about to commit to £6m on a 19yr Old wonderkid!! 

If this isn’t heaven for a Rovers fan after the last 9yrs I don’t know what is!!? ??

Yes i would be disappointed with our remaining business if is was Brereton on a permanent and Reed on loan. I think we need 3 more incomings at least, preferably 4, and would like at least 3 of them to be permanent transfers, not loans and not deals until the end of the season whilst people get themselves fit (Rodwell). 

The manager said he wanted at least 4 or 5 additions following Armstrong, so if we get Brereton and Reed that still means another 2-3, or if Rodwell is indeed counting as one of those then another 1-2 beyond Brereton and Reed.

I've already acknowledged that we've made a good start and have a group of players working very hard. That's why we need to strike whilst the iron is hot and maintain the momentum by strengthening. Expecting things to continue with the injuries we're picking up and shortage of options is pushing luck to the limit. 

• Like 1

Brereton, Reed and a winger in and we’ve had an excellent summer overall. I feel like we’re the perfect move for Brereton, he’ll get a lot of game time without being the main man, he’ll be able to learn off Graham (who is good at what Brereton seems to be lacking), and we’ve got a young squad who all seem to be mates. If he gets 10+ Championship goals this season he’ll be worth more than what we paid - I’ve got a good feeling about this transfer.

• Like 5

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It seems no matter who we sign some fans will push what we need out by one more player! Sign 6, we need 7. Sign 10, we need 11 

Mowbray wanted 4 or 5. If we count Rodwell as one of those, which I'm not even sure we can given the sounds of things with how long he's going to take, then we need another 3 or 4. Sounds like Brereton and Reed are likely to happen so that's another couple needed.

That is Mowbray's target, which I agree with.

• Like 1

• Backroom
28 minutes ago, JHRover said:

3 since Mowbray made that comment is only one short of 4, not 'well short' :P

I do appreciate your concern somewhat, as I still think a winger would complete our squad (either from the bench or in first team). 

But I simply cannot be unhappy with a window we expected very little of at the point of promotion, when it turns out we'll have spent around £8.5m on recruitments.

Especially when the players we've signed are flexible in terms of position, and in Rothwell we might just have re-Dacked in terms of relative quality to compared to the fee.

There's also every chance Davenport and Rothwell could similarly outperform their fees. Armstrong we got as an absolute bargain.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

We have 5 signings so far. 4 permanent and 1 loan. With 1 loan to buy in January and just 1 simple loan. So thats 5 permanent signings and 2 loans. With January only 4 months were we can look to add 2 or 3 players possible. 

Rodwell is effectively a loan as he is only here until the end of the season. If we can't or won't get the deals over the line in the long summer months then we'll struggle in January.

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Disappointed? So far we have signed 4 players on permanent deals and 1 on loan. Reed and Brereton will bring the total of new players up to 7, with only 2 of those on loan ,with no option to buy. Mowbray has also made Travis part of the 1st team. Rodwell on a 1 year deal makes sense, if he goes well, he will get another contract.   So you want 2 more permanents this week as well as Brereton? Man, are you ever happy? 

More to the point do you think Mowbray will be happy having said numerous times he wanted 4 or 5 more bodies in preferably on long term contracts and to date we've added Jack Rodwell until the end of the season (effectively a loan)?

Yes I'm happy with the Brereton one (when or if it eventually gets done). I also quite like the sound of Reed though again would prefer a permanent. That's two down, or three if we're being generous and counting Rodwell, so another couple to go. 

• Like 1

Given where we are in the window, I'd take a couple on normal loans (rather than loan to buy). It worked out fine last season eg Armstrong. Would rather have the numbers in the squad even if they aren't tied down to an option to buy.

Just now, Mike E said:

3 since Mowbray made that comment is only one short of 4, not 'well short' :P

I do appreciate your concern somewhat, as I still think a winger would complete our squad (either from the bench or in first team). 

But I simply cannot be unhappy with a window we expected very little of at the point of promotion, when it turns out we'll have spent around £8.5m on recruitments.

WHEN we get Brereton and Reed done, which we haven't yet, and IF we're counting Rodwell as one of Mowbray's targets (and not just a mutually beneficial short term arrangement to help him get fit whilst filling up the squad) then we're at 3. That means another 1 or 2 THIS WEEK. Given how long our deals take to get done, I'm not confident of that being achieved.

6 minutes ago, Mike E said:

3 is only one short of 4, not 'well short' :P

Exactly, it’s been the same from JHR all summer 

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Rodwell is effectively a loan as he is only here until the end of the season. If we can't or won't get the deals over the line in the long summer months then we'll struggle in January.

More to the point do you think Mowbray will be happy having said numerous times he wanted 4 or 5 more bodies in preferably on long term contracts and to date we've added Jack Rodwell until the end of the season (effectively a loan)?

Yes I'm happy with the Brereton one (when or if it eventually gets done). I also quite like the sound of Reed though again would prefer a permanent. That's two down, or three if we're being generous and counting Rodwell, so another couple to go. 

The caveat was “4 or 5” and now the goal posts are moved because Rodwell is “effectively a loan”...?!

Mind boggling. We needed recruitment, it’s looking like this summer we will have added 6/7 and kept our best players. Despite what Tony may have “wanted”, l can’t see how even the most skeptical fan could be dissspointed

Edited by Biz
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I have no idea why you would disappointted if we dont make more a couple of signings. We are playing well and already showing we can match teams up in this league. 

Again allowing yourself to be influenced by short term results and not by the longer term picture. Yes we've had a good start. Yes we're playing well. You don't need to tell me that. But the plan from several weeks ago shouldn't change on the basis of a few decent results.

Whether we had won our first 5 or lost our first 5 our targets and plans should remain consistent. You don't say 'well we've had a good start so we don't need any more new players now'

As expected injuries are biting and we have to add more depth or we're running a major risk.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Ok, Rodwell is not a loan, so stop saying he is :) 

I would say Mowbray is frustrated things have dragged on with Brereton, but ultimately if we get him and Reed in, I would say Mowbray will be pretty happy. I think he has done a great job this window, strengthening were we needed to be 

Would you say this window has exceeded your expectations overall? 

• Backroom
Just now, JHRover said:

WHEN we get Brereton and Reed done, which we haven't yet, and IF we're counting Rodwell as one of Mowbray's targets (and not just a mutually beneficial short term arrangement to help him get fit whilst filling up the squad) then we're at 3. That means another 1 or 2 THIS WEEK. Given how long our deals take to get done, I'm not confident of that being achieved.

I don't think the intention IS to acheive it, I think it's just Mowbray having said too much again.

Of course Rodwell counts, he's an incoming transfer regardless of length of contract.

The target at the start of the window was 6-7 and it looks like we'll hit that today. The 4-5 remark was, I suspect, subject to availability of players, and rather 'possibly up to 5' rather than setting 'another 4' as his minimum target.

Just now, JHRover said:

I definitely think we need one or 2 more coming in but i don't think they have to be loan to buys.

If we sign Brererton then that proves to me we have a bit of money and the Venkys have at least come around to supporting the manager.

IF the rumours about him wanting Freeman,Bauer and Trapp are correct then dependant on circumstance all 3 could be available in January, certainly Trapp will be.And the other 2 next summer.

If those are the players he wants he might wait it out.

We have bristol city away on Sunday then a 13 day break will give the injured players a chance to get back and Any new signings a chance bed in.

I'd like to see Reed,Brereton,pacy winger(don't think we will) and a centre half(dont we will)

It will be Brereton and Reed.If anymore I think he will bring in a goalkeeper or another wide striker type 

If it is just Brereton and Reed i'l still be happy enough with the window.Rome wasn't built in a day 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ok, Rodwell is not a loan, so stop saying he is :) 

I would say Mowbray is frustrated things have dragged on with Brereton, but ultimately if we get him and Reed in, I would say Mowbray will be pretty happy. I think he has done a great job this window, strengthening were we needed to be 

Would you say this window has exceeded your expectations overall? 

Rodwell is only here until the summer at the moment. It appears to be an arrangement where he can come in, get up to speed, and we might be able to offer him games when we're short. 

He's been around the houses this summer training at various clubs. He doesn't really fit the long term building job spoken about. People also seem to be missing the possibility that if he does do well he could just as easily be snatched from under our noses next summer. 

As I've said previously I'm not against the Rodwell one to see how it goes but hope he's as well as and not instead of our long term targets that Mowbray has spoken about. 

In terms of incomings I'd say we're short of my expectations overall given the language coming from Mowbray and Waggott.

I accept that probably stems from what has been said since the arrival of Armstrong, when they spoke about exciting signings and significant investment, since then we've added Rodwell and it seems soon Brereton. Brereton is the sort we should be after and spending money on but I hope as I've said earlier that it isn't all our money on one player or some bizarre Venky stunt like with Jordan Rhodes where they chuck a lot of money at one deal and elsewhere we're relying on loans and cheap deals. There are other areas need addressing and investing into. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Rodwell is only here until the summer at the moment. It appears to be an arrangement where he can come in, get up to speed, and we might be able to offer him games when we're short. 

He's been around the houses this summer training at various clubs. He doesn't really fit the long term building job spoken about. People also seem to be missing the possibility that if he does do well he could just as easily be snatched from under our noses next summer. 

As I've said previously I'm not against the Rodwell one to see how it goes but hope he's as well as and not instead of our long term targets that Mowbray has spoken about. 

In terms of incomings I'd say we're short of my expectations overall given the language coming from Mowbray and Waggott.

I accept that probably stems from what has been said since the arrival of Armstrong, when they spoke about exciting signings and significant investment, since then we've added Rodwell and it seems soon Brereton. Brereton is the sort we should be after and spending money on but I hope as I've said earlier that it isn't all our money on one player or some bizarre Venky stunt like with Jordan Rhodes where they chuck a lot of money at one deal and elsewhere we're relying on loans and cheap deals. There are other areas need addressing and investing into. 

We have signed other players for fees this summer. 

So spending almost £9 million , before add ons etc, along with tying down most of our squad to new deals is short of your expectations, wow. I would have to say your expectations therefore, were unreasonable. 

• Like 2

We all(?) agree we need another centre-back for when (not if) either Lenihan or Mulgrew are unavailable. That's why TM pursued Bauer for so long but Charlton haven't shifted.

So it now seems that the additional centre-back will be Rodwell!

I see that as a huge risk and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Most of us believe we need  Chapman or someone like him.

It looks as if the striker issue is settled.

That's where it sits for me and we have till Friday to sort it out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Well we could end up spending as much as 3 million on Armstrong if all the clauses in the deal are met and it had been a while since we had seen Any one over a million.

It will still have been a busy and good window.We haven't sold anyone, we are building a nice team, blend of experience and hard work and youth with skill and creativity.

Like I said I agree with you one or 2 more are needed if they are permanent great but if just loans not the end of the world 

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'm struggling to include Rodwell in any calculation 12 month deal is akin to a season loan.  He is 'training with the first team' to see how he does.  Quite possible the guy won't play a game for us - or might rediscover his passion for the game. 

Taken from the LT when Rodwell was announced TM said.

“I would hope there’s going to be some bigger deals to be done at the football club than a couple of free agents coming in to the club.”

Rothwell looks like a first team player. 

Davenport is hard to assess due to injury.  Looks lightweight, maybe one for the long term - especially given Rothwell's start.

Palmer- looks a talent - first teamer but loan, no option - could we potentially afford this guy in light of the budget?

Armstrong.  First team and permanent. 

Don't get me wrong, pleased with what we have so far...But, if the money is there as TM has said, it is better being spent as there are no guarantees with Venkys that it will ever be there again. Something TM alluded to in today's LT.

“You can have regrets and if you’re sitting there and don’t spend it and don’t get the players you want then it’s easy for managers to moan about money, not having the players, other teams being too strong, but if we can spend the money then let’s spend on some good players, young, athletic, fast footballers and see where it takes us.”

This is a pivotal season for us.  We are a bit of squad depth away from being serious dark horses for the play offs which would be a great turn around for the club.  We have a very committed squad, that just lacks a stronger bench with some quality on it.  We aren't far away at all.  

Nobody is knocking TM or the players signed.  Just don't want to see a golden opportunity not seen through.  

We want to be in a position where next year, if we are still in the champ, we only need to bring in 2 or 3 players to push on. 

• Like 1