ROVERS v Sheff Wed

2 hours ago, CD_93 said:

Sharpe's predicted team:

Raya

Nyambe Downing Mulgrew Bell

Reed   Bennett

Rothwell   Dack   Conway

Graham 

Dont mind that team but Brereton has to start. 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Trouble with starting Graham AND Conway is that there is a strong likelihood both will have to be substituted due to fatigue, thereby using up 2 substitutions before we've even started.

Be surprised if Downing is starting.

Lenihan could be out injured and 2 left footed doesnt work. As Mowbray doesnt work

18 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I have sympathy for Rothwell and Palmer. They both look like they are best suited to the No.10 role in the same way Payne was last season. Payne couldn't play wide either so I have no idea why Mowbray persists with the nonsense of playing players out of position on the wing. It hasn't worked at all this season. 

Because we don't have anyone else to play on the wing! 

• Backroom
3 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Both get drawn towards the ball and leave space behind. Rothwell in particular is going to drive forward with the ball and leaves holes, safer form him to do that from the wing. If we were to play a flat 3 in midfield then Rothwell would be perfect as one of the wide centre mids.

Rothwell, I agree needs a ‘sitter’ alongside him, but Reed is a good box-to-box.

In some ways, you could argue Rodwell sat behind Reed and Rothwell would work very well as a midfield 3.

Would require 2 wingers and a mobile striker, however, essentially rendering Dack somewhat redundant.

• Like 1

• Backroom
2 hours ago, CD_93 said:

Sharpe's predicted team:

Raya

Nyambe Downing Mulgrew Bell

Reed   Bennett

Rothwell   Dack   Conway

Graham 

I like that but would swap Bennett and Rothwell’s positions.

Bennett and Conway on the wing would provide better defensive support for our full backs.

Would also prefer Brereton to start, simply to get him on the pitch. I feel he and Rothwell are itching to kick on at this point, as they’ve both shown they can drive at teams and positively influence our general performances.

• Backroom
29 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Bennett and Conway would provide brilliant defensive cover, but very little attacking threat or pace!

BUT that cover would allow Reed and Rothwell to get forward in support of the attack. Equally, when the wingers bolt forward, Reed and Rothwell are both defensively capable.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Bad feeling we will draw this. I hope for once we actually start well and come out of the dressing room fired up. If ever there was a time and a reason to do so 

I don’t mind a draw, I just want to see the gritty Rovers we saw before the break, not the ones that look like they’re giving up.

9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I don’t mind a draw, I just want to see the gritty Rovers we saw before the break, not the ones that look like they’re giving up.

Exactly - basics like tracking and closing down fell short against Wigan particularly. Maybe we missed Bennett more than we thought!

• Like 1

The most galling thing vs. Wigan was Williams giving up, and lack of effort for their third. Shocked me tbh and summed up the game.

So many variations of our team picks on here, it's inevitable that some will slate Mowbray whatever, and it's really tough to pick.

So this is my approach...

Raya

Not Bothered  Not Bothered  Not Bothered  Not Williams

Not Bothered  Not Bothered

Not Bothered      Dack      Not Bothered

Not Bothered

Tactics: The fighting, battling spirit that got us here.

If we put the effort in and play for each other like we did for the last 18 months before PNE & Wigan, then any 11 we put out can beat Sheffield Shitty Wednesday.

I'm coming to this one, and all I want is to see us fight properly again.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

So, you never saw Williams v Preston or Wigan.....well you couldn't have done or you'd never ever play him again for us.  

Think your missing the point. I'm saying they are the 4 changes that the manager will make. Whether they are the correct ones or not will be seen after the game.

• Backroom
21 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

On the back of recent results, a draw against Sheffield Wednesday isn't good enough in my opinion 

I do agree to an extent, but the winning mentality is more important to us over a season than wins. If we come out fighting it’ll be a sign that we can turn it round.

A win will be exceptionally welcome though

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's the problem, we're 1/3rd of the way through the season and 20 blokes on here can come up with 20 different formations. Barring injuries we should know our best 11 and our best way of playing by now. It's ridiculous that we're still struggling to put out a coherent team.

Not sure that is completely fair, we won't get very far with 11 players. 

I think the thing is we have a fair idea of our strongest team. It involves Reed playing centrally for a start. Apart from that then, you can pick the defence. Bell or Williams is the tough call as both are bad  then it's really just the wings. Our problem area 

12 hours ago, Ossydave said:

If we want more energy in midfield look no further than Rothwell, yet time and time again he just gets overlooked 

I'm being picky but to me he can't play in a midfield pair, the only way he will play centrally is in Dack's position. He likes to run with the ball which is dangerous if he is playing deep.

• Like 1

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I'm being picky but to me he can't play in a midfield pair, the only way he will play centrally is in Dack's position. He likes to run with the ball which is dangerous if he is playing deep.

I view it more as he’d be driving the team forward from midfield, BUT it would require the other midfielder to be prepared to show for him or mop up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

You me friend are talking rubbish 

Edited by BankEnd Rover

4 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I think that's exactly Mowbray doesn't pick him in CM. He should give him an extended run in WM though as he can't do any worse than AA.

• Like 1

Sharpe's predicted Rovers team:-

Rovers: David Raya, Ryan Nyambe, Paul Downing, Charlie Mulgrew, Amari’i Bell, Harrison Reed, Elliott Bennett, Craig Conway, Joe Rothwell, Bradley Dack, Danny Graham 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17267613.rovers-v-sheffield-wednesday-everything-you-need-to-know/?ref=mac

That's a fairly grim defence. Dropping Smallwood and Evans would be brave (unless they are out suspended or injured?) 

Conway's legs have gone but he's the only 1 in the squad who is a genuinely good crosser of a ball. Again, further proof of Mowbray's failure in the summer transfer window.