BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers V Birmingham- St Stephens , sorry Boxing day

58 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I wouldn't consider the likes of Gladwin, Smallwood and Hart as first team squad plays they should all be given early releases from their contracts. One big problem with the squad is that it's really unbalanced with it being top heavy in certain positions and light in others. Mowbray should really address this but as you say it doesn't look like it will happen next month.

They should have been out the door ages ago !

I said this kind of thing would come back to bite us on the arse way back in summer when he didn't shift deadwood out. Too busy trying to be nice and look after everybody with somebody else's money.  He'll never release or loan out one off his hundred midfielders though i bet.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I wouldn't consider the likes of Gladwin, Smallwood and Hart as first team squad plays they should all be given early releases from their contracts. One big problem with the squad is that it's really unbalanced with it being top heavy in certain positions and light in others. Mowbray should really address this but as you say it doesn't look like it will happen next month.

People like Samuel, Smallwood, Hart, Bell, I would be looking to let go in January. 

Yes I agree on certain positions in the squad being unbalanced

Just now, Amo said:

Who's buying them, chaddy?

Nobody in their right minds would pay money for them and they will be paid far too much for the level of their ability primarily down to Mowbrays benevolence. The only option I believe would be to do them a deal on the rest of their contracts, cut our losses and get shut of them.

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

Nobody in their right minds would pay money for them and they will be paid far too much for the level of their ability primarily down to Mowbrays benevolence. The only option I believe would be to do them a deal on the rest of their contracts, cut our losses and get shut of them.

All 4 are out of contracts in the summer so let them leave on free transfers. 

Smallwood and Samuel must want to play 1st football even in league 1

• Backroom

Smallwood didn't want to leave in the summer because he apparently felt he could challenge for the first team. Hopefully now he sees he is way, way down the pecking order and has a rethink. Although honestly I think best case scenario is that we loan him out for a % of his wage until the summer then release him. Same for Samuel. Bell will probably hang around due to our lack of options at LB. No idea what Hart is on or even what he looks like tbh.

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

All 4 are out of contracts in the summer so let them leave on free transfers. 

Smallwood and Samuel must want to play 1st football even in league 1

We are paying them anyway to do nothing so why not do a deal for say 80% of the remaining time on their deals and let them find a new club each in January.

Win/Win.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's what I'm saying let them go on free transfers in January 

Probably very optimistic to assume we can unload said players in Jan, even on a free.

Would you move to another job which entailed a huge pay cut if you were under no obligation to do so?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, unsall said:

Disappointing game, but at least we got a point, hopefully get 4 points next two games, the most disturbing news is what a Rovers official told me, is that Tosin is not injured and his agent is refusing to let him play, can only assume he’s either going back to City or going out on loan to a bigger club and they don’t want him injured, was also told that Dack was being lined up for a big transfer to West Brom in January, which obviously will now not happen. 

Sounds plausible in terms of the lack of info on what's going on with Tosin. On the other hand I can't see how an agent is able to influence whether he plays or not.

More likely City have notified they want him back and will pay back the loan fee etc. What's strange though is that they haven't announced this. Why wait?

All very odd.

Perhaps being Citys player any knock niggle or strain he might have they insist he can't play until they've cleared him to do so.  Over protecting their player, it's odd they wouldn't let him play if he's fit after a good run of form in the shop window before business opens.

Maybe they have firm interest but in that case you'd think they'd call him back, maybe we are being primed for that. Then again Tony probably sees our player Del as number 1 if he's fit.  That would be standard.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

We’ve gone full circle. Again.

It’s always the players. To a man, the players showed endeavour Today. However, they lack quality and belief, and do not appear to be operating to any kind of system.

Once again FFP rears it’s head as an excuse but Mowbray spent £14m on a two very average players and one well-below-average player. If we fall foul of FFP or cannot recruit properly because of it then the buck for that problem stops with Mowbray.

For all of our plans to hinge on selling the only player scoring our goals, our team talisman, is either nonsense, or strongly suggests that Mowbray doesn’t know what he is doing. I’d go as far as to say that if he hadn’t lucked out with buying Dack, he’d be gone by now.

Surprisingly it's the players on the pitch making the poor decisions and the poor passes.  Not sure how Mowbray is to blame if a player makes a poor pass.  I thought the system today was fairly clear - a basic 4-4-2, similar to what we played at Bristol. 

As for selling Dack, it's been no secret that the plan has revolved around selling to strengthen.  It's not the first time we have adopted this approach - sometimes it works and other times it hasn't - Gordon Lee and Howard Kendall were particularly good using money from sales to rebuild a stronger team.  I think that approach has been mentioned at virtually every consultation meeting with supporters.

I would agree that Gallagher and Brereton have been disappointing and, as yet, certainly not lived up to their price tags.  If Mowbray can't spend then he will have to improve the players we have and look to integrate the Under-23 players over the remainder of this season.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's what I'm saying let them go on free transfers in January 

Ultimately you have to pay up the remainder of their contracts - until June 2020.  So we don't save anything by releasing players at this stage.  No agent is going to recommend to a player that they walk away without being paid in full, particularly if dropping down a division means a huge pay cut in the future.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Parsonblue said:

Surprisingly it's the players on the pitch making the poor decisions and the poor passes.  Not sure how Mowbray is to blame if a player makes a poor pass.  I thought the system today was fairly clear - a basic 4-4-2, similar to what we played at Bristol. 

This is ultimately a bit of a circular argument as it is Mowbray and his team who select and coach the players on the pitch making poor decisions. The blame lies somewhere in the middle although the reality is that the buck stops with the manager - he's been here long enough now to have created a team that should be able to follow his orders and not make poor judgements that deviate from his instructions. If that is still happening now then the manager should be concerned. With that said we're still in a decent enough position with January approaching, but we need to shake ourselves out of this malaise sharpish or our form will end up swinging in the wrong direction and the pressure will begin to build again.

• Like 3

As for selling Dack, it's been no secret that the plan has revolved around selling to strengthen.  It's not the first time we have adopted this approach - sometimes it works and other times it hasn't - Gordon Lee and Howard Kendall were particularly good using money from sales to rebuild a stronger team.  I think that approach has been mentioned at virtually every consultation meeting with supporters.

I would agree that Gallagher and Brereton have been disappointing and, as yet, certainly not lived up to their price tags.  If Mowbray can't spend then he will have to improve the players we have and look to integrate the Under-23 players over the remainder of this season.

Don’t be obtuse. The players who keep making poor passes game after game, keep being selected. That’s Mowbray’s responsibility. Bennett and Armstrong are prime examples of where performances are not taken into account for subsequent selection.

If Dack was so important to the club’s planning then he should have been better protected. It wouldn’t have been the first time that a player was left out while speculation of a move was underway. He has got this one badly wrong and we will now pay. And not for the first time. We should have sold Dack when West Brom came in last time.

You skim over the issue with “if Mowbray can’t spend” - Mowbray has spent, and badly. The consequences of that are obvious on the pitch and for FFP but what are the consequences to him? Oh well, he’ll have to make do now with U23 players. The same ones that he singles out for criticism whenever they are given a chance. JRC should have played today instead of Buckley if a wide man was required, but it will take weeks before he can earn a place such is the time it takes for Mowbray to induct new players (regardless of their ability).

• Like 4

Ultimately you have to pay up the remainder of their contracts - until June 2020.  So we don't save anything by releasing players at this stage.  No agent is going to recommend to a player that they walk away without being paid in full, particularly if dropping down a division means a huge pay cut in the future.

I understand that Parsonblue. I just meant let them go for nothing transfer fee wise

Just now, Stuart said:

Don’t be obtuse. The players who keep making poor passes game after game, keep being selected. That’s Mowbray’s responsibility. Bennett and Armstrong are prime examples of where performances are not taken into account for subsequent selection.

If Dack was so important to the club’s planning then he should have been better protected. It wouldn’t have been the first time that a player was left out while speculation of a move was underway. He has got this one badly wrong and we will now pay. And not for the first time. We should have sold Dack when West Brom came in last time.

You skim over the issue with “if Mowbray can’t spend” - Mowbray has spent, and badly. The consequences of that are obvious on the pitch and for FFP but what are the consequences to him? Oh well, he’ll have to make do now with U23 players. The same ones that he singles out for criticism whenever they are given a chance. JRC should have played today instead of Buckley if a wide man was required, but it will take weeks before he can earn a place such is the time it takes for Mowbray to induct new players (regardless of their ability).

When Lenihan passes the ball to an opponent that is down to Lenihan.  The reason players misplace passes is because that aren't Premier League standard.  Every team does the same in this League - Birmingham gave the ball away continually, as did Wigan and Bristol last week.  There is a reason Rothwell, for example, was plying his trade at Oxford United and not Manchester United when we signed him.

As for Dack, you can't not play a player because you believe he might be sold in a few weeks time.  You'd be the first to be up in arms about the manager doing that!

Personally, I was delighted to see Buckley get a start today because I think the lad has a huge amount of potential.  

Ultimately, Stuart, you don't care for the manager - which is fair enough.  Personally, I don't mind him and think he's done a decent job overall during his time at the club.  Clearly the manager is something we will have to agree to disagree on.

The only people who can change the manager are the owners and from what one hears he has their full support.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, unsall said:

Disappointing game, but at least we got a point, hopefully get 4 points next two games, the most disturbing news is what a Rovers official told me, is that Tosin is not injured and his agent is refusing to let him play, can only assume he’s either going back to City or going out on loan to a bigger club and they don’t want him injured, was also told that Dack was being lined up for a big transfer to West Brom in January, which obviously will now not happen. 

Blatant bullshit, why even bother?

TM said on Monday he had a 'chance' of being fit for boxing day, if not then Huddersfield. Roughly translates to he wasnt 100% fit yesterday so wasn't risked. He will start on Sundsy and your made up rumour will be put to bed.

• Like 1