Herbie6590

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

9 minutes ago, Gav said:

City cup tie ticket pics, I’m sure you’ve seen them darren, but they’re fantastic.

F24F6AE5-C0AD-41FC-9AC4-470025B2C13F.jpeg

C89FDDA5-030E-4FE6-A182-95B201D1BC8B.jpeg

C49B8673-8745-4FF4-B79D-761F100AE1F0.jpeg

36EE0AEB-4730-4187-A53D-C30B382A0E0A.jpeg

Brilliant Gav, I have seen them before but not in a long time. Is that Birdy the nutter (not current Birdy) in the sheepskin in the middle photo? I have some old newspapers in the attic and I'm sure I have one of the day after we won the FA Cup in 1928. I'll have a root tomorrow and see if I can find any.

I love the pics of the 2 girls with the tickets, they look beside themselves, so happy.

Says so much about the town and the people in that one photo.

Jumpers for goalposts. 

13 hours ago, Elvis Biro said:

As a 12-13 year old I used to deliver the Evening Telewag , and the Last Sports on a Saturday. I got ten bob a week, Only trouble was we lived 'up Audley', so I used to have to leave Ewood just after half-time to get back to the paper shop to do my Saturday round. It was agony.....

Well done Elvis. True dedication to both the Rovers and your paper round. 

My mate and myself were so concerned about not getting a ticket we got the last bus over from Rochdale on the Saturday night. The first bus on a Sunday wasn't while about 1145 so we were worried about the tickets selling out before we could get to the ground. So we went for a curry in the centre of Blackburn, if you're out there Alec I owe you for the curry. After that we made our way to the ground for about 11-30. There was about 3 or 4 people already there and we hunkered down for what was to be a very long and cold night. I think the tickets went on sale at about 11-00, we got our tickets and set off home and back to bed. Another Rochdale Rovers fan we knew got the first bus over, by time he'd got to the ground the queue had gone and he walked straight up to the ticket office got his tickets and went home ! We won't be on the photos, we'd already set off home.

18 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Wasn’t Jimmy Kerr billed as the next Colin Bell? Not that we got much time to judge in his 8 or 9 games after consuming our entire transfer budget.

I was going over to Bury quite a lot then. I knew a local lad who was on the fringes of the first team and played now and again. Jimmy Kerr was the real deal. I'm not sure he was Colin Bell level but he might have been. He was one hell of a young player, a bit like Dunny in style. The player we really wanted and we so very nearly signed was the left sided centre back, Alec Lindsay. I thought he was going to be the next Bobby Moore, he had it all. He could tackle, head the ball, he had good vision and a fantastic left foot pass, long and short, along with a very calm and un flustered temperament. A lot like Bobby Moore. I believe we actually announced he was signing but Liverpool came in right at the last second and stole him away. He had a great career at Liverpool but mainly as left back. He never really got to play in his best position again. So then we signed Jimmy Kerr instead.

Bury had a Scots right winger called Greg Farrell at the time. When he was on his game he was a real match winner, he was fast and tricky, a left backs bad dream. Imagine a fast Bradley Dack ! Unfortunately he was also blessed with film star good looks and I think he liked the night life. He could blow hot and cold like most wingers. When he was hot he was unstoppable.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

52 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Ahead of tomorrow’s fixture here’s Boro v Rovers from 1935 FA Cup

Seems we spent the 1930s with the blue on the wrong side

15 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Here’s me with Jimmy Kerr...1970 open day at Ewood

B5A2300D-E834-4C3A-A761-A5A27DEC2F38.jpeg

You're the spitting image of my grandson at that age Herbie, You've never worked in Rochdale have you ?

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You're the spitting image of my grandson at that age Herbie, You've never worked in Rochdale have you ?

Manchester yes...Rochdale no 😆

On 31/10/2020 at 20:42, Elvis Biro said:

As a 12-13 year old I used to deliver the Evening Telewag , and the Last Sports on a Saturday. I got ten bob a week, Only trouble was we lived 'up Audley', so I used to have to leave Ewood just after half-time to get back to the paper shop to do my Saturday round. It was agony.....

OMG..agony indeed!

My own was between staying to the end or catching the early bus.

The later bus meant missing a connection and being late back to the institution and the risk of being listed to be missing from my desk at study time. That meant the cane plus...well the equivalent of the strap on steroids...

One reason why my head was f*****, when you first met me....

That was my dilemma. How long to hang on at the ground. I always had to leave night matches about 10 minutes early to catch the last bus back to Rochdale. I was really fit then and I'd leave the ground and run all the way up through the rows of terraced houses to a bus stop up by Queens Park Hospital. The bus left the Boulevard at 9-15 pm and I reckon it got up to Queens Park roughly between 5 and 8 minutes later. For a 7-30 KO I'd leave at 9-00 sharp and set off running. Many is the time I've just got to that bus stop and the bus has been coming up the hill ! I never had to make the twenty mile walk back to Rochdale in the dark over the tops but I came very close !

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That was my dilemma. How long to hang on at the ground. I always had to leave night matches about 10 minutes early to catch the last bus back to Rochdale. I was really fit then and I'd leave the ground and run all the way up through the rows of terraced houses to a bus stop up by Queens Park Hospital. The bus left the Boulevard at 9-15 pm and I reckon it got up to Queens Park roughly between 5 and 8 minutes later. For a 7-30 KO I'd leave at 9-00 sharp and set off running. Many is the time I've just got to that bus stop and the bus has been coming up the hill ! I never had to make the twenty mile walk back to Rochdale in the dark over the tops but I came very close !

There were 3 passionate Rovers fans, working in Rochdale Social Services in the early 80's.

It was great to see a picture of the famous blue and whites in pride of place on the office wall!

2 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

There were 3 passionate Rovers fans, working in Rochdale Social Services in the early 80's.

It was great to see a picture of the famous blue and whites in pride of place on the office wall!

I don't think I knew any of them. My Rovers mate then was a lad called Alec, he was a spring maker who emigrated to New Zealand 3 times. I think he's stayed there the last time. I haven't seen him for 20 years

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Sponsor

When was the last time anyone ran for a bus 

rugby world cup final day if i recall correctly,at least the rovers did`nt get cheated by spennymoors b*****d son this time round,though the england rugby team got robbed by a bunch of aussies

Brighton deserved to lose because of that hideous kit - that's one of the worst I've ever seen! 

That looked a lively game. You didn't see two players getting carded in the same game very often back then. Two of the most obvious pens you'll ever see.

Fairly recent compared to a lot of the stuff being shared on here, but still a good memory.

We went 3-0 up away and it finished 3-3 and we went through on away goals. Cracking goals from Thompson and Duff. Thompson was a top player, very unfortunate with injuries. I'm not sure who it is that plays the path through for Duff's goal (due to the poor quality of the picture), but I suspect it's Dunn or Tugay. Wonderful pass.

17 hours ago, Elvis Biro said:

Brighton deserved to lose because of that hideous kit - that's one of the worst I've ever seen! 

check out coventry`s away kit from the early 80`s,it was a mix of cream and brown,truly horrible

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

check out coventry`s away kit from the early 80`s,it was a mix of cream and brown,truly horrible

As memorably worn at Ewood with yellow socks...