BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

3 hours ago, renrag said:

It was the very early 60’s and in many peoples opinion what caused a dip in his form and his England place and captaincy

His last England cap was in 1960. To be honest, I can’t remember the exact date he bought the newsagents but I would guess mid to late 60s, rather than at the beginning of that decade. I may be wrong though.

3 hours ago, renrag said:

It was the very early 60’s and in many peoples opinion what caused a dip in his form and his England place and captaincy

Regarding losing both his England place and the captaincy, I was led to believe that the southern biased press made Ronnie the scapegoat for England’s 3-3 draw with Yugoslavia in May 1960, his last match. England had twice been behind in the game before scoring late on to snatch a draw.

10 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Regarding losing both his England place and the captaincy, I was led to believe that the southern biased press made Ronnie the scapegoat for England’s 3-3 draw with Yugoslavia in May 1960, his last match. England had twice been behind in the game before scoring late on to snatch a draw.

I'm not saying this is wrong, but its the sort of thing I can hear my dad saying, him being fiercely protective over Rovers and our players, they could do no wrong :D

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

A bit more nostalgia.

24F23E0F-9D0E-453F-9961-10D35019E38E.jpeg

Love the knitted scarves with players names embroidered on them. I can picture many mums and nans busying themselves in front of a nice coal fire doing these.

Keep these coming Mark.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

There was a time when Rovers were really on song a few seasons later when Ronnie was the best attacking wing half in the country but having dropped Ronnie the selectors were loathe to lose face and pick him again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Love the knitted scarves with players names embroidered on them. I can picture many mums and nans busying themselves in front of a nice coal fire doing these.

Keep these coming Mark.

You'd have to knit quickly today, the players will have left by time the scarf is finished. You had the like of Clayton, Woods and McGrath playing together for about 6 or 7 seasons then. I've mentioned before that I used to see a group of women going into the Riverside with similar home made scarves - half Rovers and half Burnley. I had a blue and white scarf my mum made for me but I left it on the bus after a game. I had one of those rattles painted blue and white but I don't know what happened to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Blackburn’s Mr Whippy (see bottom of door ?) handing out free laxative flavour ice creams to the Burnley players prior to the 1962 FA Cup Final. Well, they got beat, so I reckon it worked.

B2232205-BE8A-40F6-958A-ED5B8D6582FD.jpeg

Lets see how observant people are - I can see two ex Rovers in that photograph. Anybody else spot the other one along with Adam Blacklaw. There might even be three.

I wonder what " Adidas " gave them for wearing the boots

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Lets see how observant people are - I can see two ex Rovers in that photograph. Anybody else spot the other one along with Adam Blacklaw. There might even be three.

I wonder what " Adidas " gave them for wearing the boots

Nine players listed but there are eleven in the photo. Three of those you can’t really tell who they are. I’m assuming one could be John Connelly, behind Ray Pointer?

6 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

John Connelly? Walter Joyce?

Correct. Walter Joyce, who was 12th man for that final, is peeping out from behind Ray Pointer and I think it must be John Connelly behind Tommy Cummings. The missing player is John Angus and he must be stood directly behind Brian Miller, unless Miller had three legs ! It could also be Jimmy Robson hiding behind Miller.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, renrag said:

This is a picture taken from Ronnie Claytons book  ‘A Slave To Soccer’ published in 1960

image.jpg

Thanks for that renrag! I grew up in that area of Darwen and, whilst I was only a kid in the early 60s, I hadn’t realised they had run the newsagents for that length of time. My parents had been friends of Ronnie and Val since the mid 60s.

1 hour ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Thanks for that renrag! I grew up in that area of Darwen and, whilst I was only a kid in the early 60s, I hadn’t realised they had run the newsagents for that length of time. My parents had been friends of Ronnie and Val since the mid 60s.

Didn't Keith Newton have a newsagents on Sudell Cross at one time? I'm sure he had 'Keith Newton- Blackburn Rovers - Burnley  -England' on the shopfront.

• Like 2