BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

12 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Can’t remember it Elvis but I’ve just googled it and yes, a newsagents at Sudell Cross. 

We used to pass it Mark on the occasions we would walk into town from SMC. From memory it was a tiny shop from the outside but I can't remember actually going in.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

We used to pass it Mark on the occasions we would walk into town from SMC. From memory it was a tiny shop from the outside but I can't remember actually going in.

Almost a hole in the wall shop as I recall, tiny inside. Keith was behind the counter the few times I went in.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Just a few weeks left in the old Top Flight before relegation, brief hope, then decline.

2A8D5385-1636-4D4A-ADFC-1C3E7598CE56.jpeg

The Osteopath I used to see for treatment on my back, Frank Plum, used to treat Rovers players around that time. He had rooms in Rochdale as well as in Blackburn. We were talking about Rovers a lot while I was in his traction machine. He told me he was giving Ronnie traction on his back every day in the week before that game. Ronnie didn't play well that day and knowing that it's hardly surprising.

Alan Gilliver came to see him to get a second opinion when he'd been advised to give up the game by the powers that be at that time at Rovers . Gilliver thought the club was after the insurance money.

Just as an aside the captain and centre half of one of the teams I played for used to play with a bad back. He wore what looked to me like one of those old whalebone corsets that women wore under his shirt ! 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

For those that saw them play, who are the modern era equivalents of Douglas and Clayton in terms of style etc? 

Eden Hazard on a good day was the nearest player to Bryan Douglas playing now in my opinion. Ronnie in his heyday was a bit like Roy Keane without the stupidity. He was a real box to box player.  As time went by and he lost that essential mobility to play in midfield he dropped back into the middle of the back four.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Elvis Biro said:

I'm sure I once got served by Keith in there. Shop was on the end of Richmond Terrace, if memory serves.

Next to Seed and Garbutts booksellers? As a schoolboy saw Mike Harrison getting into his brand new VW Beetle there circa 1967. I thought he was coming out of the bookshop but he was probably going to see Keith.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Misty eyed memories to be sure, but wasn't it a different thing when we could stand on terracing and go mental when we scored? The joke seats that are crammed into stadia these days don't half take some of the pleasure of watching a game of football away..

giphy.gif

Yeah, that's what I always said....Then I went to watch Rovers at Stockport with Souness. I was actually surprised how much I missed the comfort. I'd got too used to premiership, Ewood luxury. On the other hand, Brentford seemed ok, although the view wasn't the best....

But I do love seeing the celebrating masses behind the goals, posted on this very thread....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

For those that saw them play, who are the modern era equivalents of Douglas and Clayton in terms of style etc? 

Both were so classy I can't think of any. Certainly no-one remotely like Duggie. Nowadays he'd be sent away because he was too small and didn't track back enough.

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

Both were so classy I can't think of any. Certainly no-one remotely like Duggie. Nowadays he'd be sent away because he was too small and didn't track back enough.

I remember putting the TV on around 1964 for the England V France schoolboy International from Wembley. The French No10 not only looked like a young Bryan Douglas but he played just like him. The resemblance was uncanny, I often wonder what became of the lad, I can't recall his name now.

40 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

yes,signed by don mackay,it was kenny who saw his best position was in midfield though,sadly he got loads absolute dogs abuse in his early full back days,im`e no shrinking violet but some of the stuff was well over the top

Listen to the Mark Atkins podcast interview to find out who moved him into midfield....it wasn’t Kenny ?

14 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Derby County practice being outplayed by Rovers...

That must have been one of - if not THE - last games Shilton played for Derby. Then he popped up against us in that last game of the season at Plymouth where Speedie scored a hat trick.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

I asked the question because I genuinely couldn’t remember but TP was the inspiration. Another example of his understated coaching prowess. 

disgracefully treated by hughes and the welsh lot,did`nt like hughes as a player and when he treated TP the way he did he lost the small amount of liking i had for him as a manager,though begrudgingly i`ll admit he did a good job for us,was a nasty way to treat a club legend and all round decent fellow though