BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] "no Money For New Players" - Souey

Front and back page headlines of today's LET. Not on their website yet.

The gist of it is that GS has now been told he has no money to spend.

We might be able to take one or two players on free transfers but that's going to be it. Pederson too expensive for us and the Matteo deal similarly likely to fail through lack of spending power.

What on earth are the club playing at? As if sales weren't likely to be bad enough before Saturday's initial S/T deadline we now get a story like this. Talk about shooting yourselves in the foot.

The old chestnut about losing £1m on the last day of the season is wheeled out again.

Don't remember us having a huge transfer budget as a result of shooting three or four places up the League on the last day in the last two seasons though. Seems it only works one way. mad.gif

So in the last two close seasons we have spent £3m and netted £7m, a total gain of £4m yet there's no money.

A very shortsighted lack of ambition which can only end up with us in division one in the medium term.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, Thommo and Fergie back in and maybe Mceverly will be like we have bought three new players again. It may be correct that we dont have any money but a couple of cheeky free transfer might go a long way.

It's not just the "have we/haven't we got any money" argument.

I simply can't believe such a negative story has come out with probably 80% of S/T holders preparing to renew by Saturday.

On the front page there's a big picture of Souey looking glum with the headline "Souey: No money for new players".

On the back page a huge headline "I've no cash to spend. - Souey frustrated by lack of funds"

Underneath that story is no doubt an extremely expensive ad trying to persuade people to buy a season ticket!

I really could weep sometimes.

Absolutely agree Rev. Obviously it could be argued that Rovers are being honest with the fans, or as previously mentioned, pleading poverty in order to secure new signings slightly cheaper, however...

Regardless of whether we are skint or not this isn't going to encourage new season ticket holders or anyone to renew. Therefore we end up even more skint. Wooops, that was careless.

All in all it's an extremely badly timed press release IMO. No such thing as bad publicity?

Despite this statement I suspect we probably have enough for a left winger and maybe even a centre half. But nothing beyond that (i.e. certainly no Nicky Butt and his poorly knee).

If there is no money for new players, does that mean that we have to buy tried and trusted second hand players that have proven their worth?

I think the board should be applauded for refusing to allow Sounness to buy another Grabbi. rolleyes.gif

I suppose it's a catch 22 really. I think this will harm Season Ticket sales but it could be argued that if initial estimates of how Season Ticket sales are to be believed then the club really have no money as the attendances are going to be so bad.

The club will argue they did their bit by freezing prices. The 'fans' have shown what they think of this and as result we will get the team that we deserve. If that is a 1st division one then so be it.

Edited by Manchester Blue

Guest Kamy100

Agree with Rev that this the worst time possible to release this sort of story.

However I think that it is a smokescreen to get clubs and certain players to lower their demands.

I suppose it's a catch 22 really. I think this will harm Season Ticket sales but it could be argued that if initial estimates of how Season Ticket sales are to be believed then the club really have no money as the attendances are going to be so bad.

The club will argue they did their bit by freezing prices. The 'fans' have shown what they think of this and as result we will get the team that we deserve. If that is a 1st division one then so be it.

If you are a true rovers fan you would still buy a season ticket if we don't sign any new players.

Whats the point in spening money we dont have otherwise we could end up in the same situation as Leeds.

We ask the club to be honest with us, and when they are and its bad news they get slated.

Is there any quote from John Williams saying there's no money Simon?

It just seems strange that on the one hand we are told there's £4million to spend and then Souey says he's got nowt. Maybe it's GS's way of putting the pressure on JW to release more cash?

Whichever way you look at it, there are no positives to be gained by the news and suddenly the price freeze on season tickets seems totally irrelevant.

If you were undecided about the purchase of a season ticket before you're swayed towards not bothering now.

Is there any quote from John Williams saying there's no money Simon?

It just seems strange that on the one hand we are told there's £4million to spend and then Souey says he's got nowt. Maybe it's GS's way of putting the pressure on JW to release more cash?

Whichever way you look at it, there are no positives to be gained by the news and suddenly the price freeze on season tickets seems totally irrelevant.

If you were undecided about the purchase of a season ticket before you're swayed towards not bothering now.

No just direct quotes from Souness.

As soon as it's up on the LET perhaps someone could post the link, I haven't got the hang of that yet.

withstupid.gif

Just shows lack of ambition. Come on Fred Walker lets have some money from the fund. If you can't afford to improve the team I can't afford the season ticket. Simple as that.

However I think that it is a smokescreen to get clubs and certain players to lower their demands.

That's my view on the matter aswell.

However, I don't get how the club should be the only one to be blamed when it's the LET that's printed the article. I haven't seen the article but to me it sounds like the LET is trying to sell a few more papers.

Just shows lack of ambition. Come on Fred Walker lets have some money from the fund. If you can't afford to improve the team I can't afford the season ticket. Simple as that.

An unbelievably selfish attitude that is. But it probably reflects the feelings of a lot of our supporters - oh I will bugger off now that the Walker money has dried up.

It is time for fans to repay Jack Walker at the time when the club needs our support more than ever.

We got told this a few weeks before we signed Andy Cole too rolleyes.gif

Really not sure what to believe when we make statements like this anymore. Hopefully it IS a smokescreen, but I won't be overly surprised if we don't have any cash, it's just a sign of the times.....

We ask the club to be honest with us, and when they are and its bad news they get slated.

Well said.

Ok so I’m disappointed that we haven’t got the transfer funds to spend on a few new players to the squad. And obviously I’m disappointed that it could yet be another year of seeing the same football as we just have done.

But we’ve got to get on with it. Players will come back from injury, Thompson, Ferguson, Mceveley who are three players who have a big future with the club and all three are keep players.

The club have been honest and that’ll all you can ask. They haven’t lied, spent huge amounts of money, big cock up and then after all that they come out that we didn’t have the money and end up like Leeds.

We’ve no money, so looks for loans, players on bosmans. Like Souness chased Larsson on a free contract.

There’s no harm in asking.

An unbelievably selfish attitude that is. But it probably reflects the feelings of a lot of our supporters - oh I will bugger off now that the Walker money has dried up.

It is time for fans to repay Jack Walker at the time when the club needs our support more than ever.

Absolute nail on the head style post there mate thumbs-up.gif

Makes you sick.

I suppose it's a catch 22 really.  I think this will harm Season Ticket sales but it could be argued that if initial estimates of how Season Ticket sales are to be believed then the club really have no money as the attendances are going to be so bad. 

The club will argue they did their bit by freezing prices.  The 'fans' have shown what they think of this and as result we will get the team that we deserve.  If that is a 1st division one then so be it.

If you are a true rovers fan you would still buy a season ticket if we don't sign any new players.

Whats the point in spening money we dont have otherwise we could end up in the same situation as Leeds.

That's the point i'm making really. I think you can see from the attitude of some fans that feel that they won't pay if Rovers don't. How can that be classed as supporting the club?

I suppose it could've been worse, it could've come out after people had bought their season tickets.

No doubt Mr Revidge would've got on his soapbox then as well! rolleyes.gif

The point is I would have expected a huge surge to renew before Saturday's initial S/T deadline.

This article will have a major detrimental effect IMO.

It won't affect me renewing but not everyone is as dedicated as Jordan. It's naive to think otherwise.

But why be honest now when they must realise this could affect season ticket renewals?

Perhaps because they feel they need to force MGP or Tromsø's hand before taking the De Pedro option? Or to play down the paper talk of a £5M bid for Butt whilst telling Tromsø we can't afford more than £1.5M for MGP.

Hopefully it's a calculated gamble rather than total naivety with regard to the season ticket renewals - although the latter wouldn't surprise me given the New Shirt debacle and late/missing ST renewal packs.

The point is I would have expected a huge surge to renew before Saturday's initial S/T deadline.

This article will have a major detrimental effect IMO.

It won't affect me renewing but not everyone is as dedicated as Jordan. It's naive to think otherwise.

So should they have come clean after this "huge surge"

I don't think thats at all fair on the club! We have kept on all the players who contracts were up that must take up a large amount of the already quiet high wage bill. Spending a couple of million on a player will add to the wage bill and lower our bank account! By buying dickov we have a class striker for basically free and on a low wage! in de pedro you have a free transfer so we can offer higher wages! with matteo you have free transfer so we can offer higher wages but not too high!

We have to think of the future and while spending loads of money and getting the wage bill up in the short term might make a few fans feel good it will not do the club any good in the long term! Keep the wage bill down and that will lead to us slowly building ala charlton! tinykit.gif

Well said mjs...so strange how everybody and his dog wanted a piece of the pie when matters were rosey back in '95.

Impending matters at Ewood this coming season will soon sort the wheat from the chaff both on and off the field of play I feel (interpret how you wish).

NOT good timing like Rev states.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.