BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League 2013/2014 (and Europa league!)

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barcelona passing is a joy is watched most of the time. never really felt Barca even performed in top form.

Alves's goal was great built up play by Barca Players by keeping the ball and movement and the chance came. good finish by Alves.

you got to admired Barcelona style of football and how each Barcelona team plays the same way whether its the Under 16's team or their B team..

Barcelona passing is a joy is watched most of the time. never really felt Barca even performed in top form.

tbh Barcelona's passing is fantastic but leads to a boring spectacle imo... the thing that is a joy to watch is their effort and application and most of all when they are OFF the ball when they close the opposition down so quickly and effectively. The work rate they demand from their mega stars is simply the best and an example to EVERY player and EVERY club. Effort and graft cost nothing!

Has Dani still got it then? Or has she gone the way of Whigfield?

I've not seen Whigfield lately so cannot compare but she looks a bit weathered. She still sounds like she smokes 40 a day too.

I thought City were unlucky. It was a pen, and it was a sending off but i thought they earned a draw. The 2nd killed them.

tbh Barcelona's passing is fantastic but leads to a boring spectacle imo... the thing that is a joy to watch is their effort and application and most of all when they are OFF the ball when they close the opposition down so quickly and effectively. The work rate they demand from their mega stars is simply the best and an example to EVERY player and EVERY club. Effort and graft cost nothing!

Yep, they're an example to all players. Hard work brings it's own reward. They try to win the ball back as high up the field as they can. We try and win it back on the edge of our own penalty area.

I hope Jordan Rhodes was watching tonight. The way Barcelona's players work when they don't have the ball is an example to every footballer. Having said that I find Barca dull as ditchwater to watch; there is more to the game than possession and passing.

I enjoy watching Barca/Spain most of the time but it can get a bit tedious.

It was amusing to see Barca play 30 passes at a time but not really get anywhere in the opening 20 mins, then Kompany to Silva to Negredo who's through on goal, in two forward passes.

The atmosphere was shocking tonight but it will be even worse in the second leg.

What was that City player thinking of for the 1st goal? He's trying to win a free kick on the half way line, gives it away and they go and score. Good to see City getting stuffed and serves them right for being so negative. The only advantage they had was in the big ball up to the lone striker so why didn't they play an exctra man up front and try and make more happen up that end because they looked dangerous every time they went forward.

It was a masterclass by Barca again, made city do all the running with their passing game, some may think it is tedious but it works, they did a number on probably the best squad in the PL. City won't get a sniff in the return leg

can i just add my bit to the theory that barca are a boring tedious side. When you put 9 men behind the ball, no matter how good you are, you are going to struggle to break down that team. The fact that City just sat back , allowed Barca to push the ball around with ease, and for them its patient build up until they find an opening. Its great watching, because when you rush things, you tend to make mistakes. Last night barca were basically playing in 2nd gear, because all they needed was to score and go home with a lead which they did, Job done.

It was amazing that people praised City, but for a team that has scored so many goals, and destroyed all before them in the league, it was a poor showing from them. Pellegrini can moan all he wants about the penalty, but he didnt mention the handball in the 1st half where Barca should have got a penalty, or the disallowed goal in the 2nd half.

Effectively City are at their most dangerous when in and around the oppositions third of the pitch, when they are forced deep they are bang average. Barca called the shots from the off and didn't allow them to play where they are at their best. Simple as that.

City started off like rabbits in the headlights. They gave Barca too much respect. I agree Barca were the better team but the biggest difference was the goalkeepers.

Before the penalty was taken I was screaming at Hart on TV not to dive but stand his ground and hope for a shot in the middle half of the goal. Shots into either corner are rarely saved even when diving.

I'm pretty sure that their second goal would not have gone through the legs of their goalkeeper like it went through Hart's.

• Moderation Lead

I saw a quote on twitter from a journalist (I forget which one) saying that Szczęsny had to go, as the challenge on Robben was 'dangerous play' :rock:.

His strange analysis aside, I suppose by the letter of the law that it warranted a red card for 'denying a goalscoring opportunity' though I feel a penalty is sufficient punishment, the red card just kills the game.

At any rate, he had to make the challenge, there's no doubt about that, and as much as Robben made the most of the contact (for a change), I doubt he could have stayed on his feet!

Before the penalty was taken I was screaming at Hart on TV not to dive but stand his ground and hope for a shot in the middle half of the goal. Shots into either corner are rarely saved even when diving.

If he became known for being the keeper who stands his ground at penalties he'd never save another one in his life.

We're getting 10 v 11 games much too often. Especially in big games. It was crap defending by Demichaelis but a sending off and a penalty killed the game. Nobody got hurt, a penalty should be enough.

Agreed. Wenger should know all about that seeing that it was the 100th red card Arsenal have received under him. That's some going for the whinger.

Archived