BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jansen

There is nothing to suggest that Jansen will get a new contract. He has been terrible since his accident and there is little prospect for improvement due to his age.

For the sake of his career and rovers wage bill I believe he will be moved on. I expect Gallagher and Stead to stay due to their age and low wages while Bothroyd will not be bought.

Hopefully we can buy a 'quality' striker over the summer leaving us with:

Stead

Dickov

Gallagher

Johnson

AN Other

Pedersen (?)- see how he does in the role this year.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt Jansens contract is up this summer, while I know he isn't the same player he used to be and as much as it pains me to say, probably for the sake of his career be best to let him go, should we let him go in the summer and offer him on a free, which won't help with his confidence.

Or offer him a new contract to show that we still have faith, I hope it's the latter but I know most people on here will just think I'm being daft.

Yep you are being daft.

Once a cracking player for us that I really rated and enjoyed watching but now we all know that his days in the Prem are behind him.

We must get rid cos we are not 'carers'. He is cluttering up the place and taking too much of the wage kitty. We need 3 new strikers not one so he can fill a car up and sod off with all the others except Dickov.

Hughes thank flerk does not appear to be as sentimental as so many on here and will surely bullet him.

I cant find it in me to let go. Matt Jansen has been my favourite striker since Shearer left and I don't want him to go anywhere. I don't care what anyone tells me I still believe in him. The few games that I have seen him play this year I can see the old Matt coming back. He then scores a goal and gets dropped. Put him with Dikov for a few games and then judge. I can see it now, Matt Jansen destroys Man Utd with a superb hatrick.

Now,

Question's you may have for me:-

1. Am I mad - Maybe

2. Do I still like the zx spectrum - Yes

3. Do I keep shouting at the T.V. saying that they should bring back Knightrider, Airwolf the A-Team and Bullseye because they were the best programmes I have ever seen - Yes

4. Am I Gay and do I love Matt Jansen - No (though my Mrs might have a different opinion)

Edited by Cocker

• 2 weeks later...
  • Backroom

Little snippet in the Sunday People today said that Jansen could well be on his way out of Ewood Park at the end of the season.. he has 12 months left on his contract and Hughsey has yet to offer him a new deal.

There are a few facts here:

Jansen is not as good as he was

Jansen will not be as good as he was

however

Jansen will still score more goals than any of our other strikers, I think that he is suffering a bit from everyone's memories of him, if he came in as a new striker I think we would be saying that he's an improvement on what we have and would make a good addition however because previously he was one of the best english strikers around he just constantly gets compared to this and he will sadly never reach that again, but he still has plenty to offer, and goals are certainly still in him!

I'd be tempted to give him another 1 year contract, see whether he can perform.

I think Hughesy coming has give Matty a lift but his season has be blighted by injury.

Statistics read quite nicely for us optimists as he has 2 goals in just 300 minutes of football, not prolific I know, but Gally only has 2 goals in 467 minutes! Bothroyd has 1 goal in 487! And Steady has 0 in 1018 minutes!

Give him another season, If he stays fit and under performs then let him go!

However let Hughesy tell him hes still in his plans for at least another season, and see how he does.

If this is the end it would be a sad way to see him go!

Unfortunately Matt is finished and has been for some considerable time. I was happy to give him a certain level of time after the accident to recapture his form of old but this has never happened and it won't.

I posted on here many months ago about a local physio who told a friend of mine that Jansen's coordination was way out when the ball was played straight to him. Across him there was no problem, but straight at him and he had all sorts of problems. This was a good 12 months after his accident.

Against Portsmouth this season, and I know he scored on that day, the ball came straight at him a few times when he was in front of the Bburn End (where I sit). My mate to my right, and my son to my left both noticed that his legs were like jelly - a bit like someone who puts ice skates on for the first time and stuggles keeping his feet - when he tried to get the ball under control.

He was one of my favourites and I'm really sad at the way things have turned out. Unfortunately he won't be offered a new contract, but fortunately he is a bright enough lad who should be able to salvage a career outside of football when the time comes. And I think it will be sooner than a lot of people think.

All the best Matt and good luck.

Matt has still got it. I am sick to death of these negative comments. He has played 4 games this season and scored 2 goals, now in my eyes that is a very good ratio. I'd give him a new contract as I feel he still has alot more to give and offer us. He needs to start games before we can condem. He's still got it, and to say he is finished is just wrong.

Matt would be starting games if he looked like he still had it in training.

I'd really like to see him have the rest of the season to prove himself. Everybody deserves a run of starts and it's only really Matt who hasn't had them. I'm certain he isn't the player he was before and letting him go at the end of the season would probably be the best move for all concerned, but lets see him have a string of games at the end of his Rovers career when he's given us so many happy memories. Who knows what could come of it.

I just find it odd how before his knee op he was starting games, now he cant get in the team. Is he not fully fit or what? I know Matt Jansen will be putting in hard work in training and to say otherwise is just stupid. He all know how commited he is.

I have to agree with a comment that was made earlier in that Jansen's former glory is his biggest enemy. As soon as he steps onto the field we expect him to be as he was pre-accident, if he doesn't start like that straight away, then we all simply say that he has lost it. I don't think he's been terrible this year, and actually think he has shown signs that he still has much of that talent, but everyone expects him to straight away be what he was, and that will never happen. If we aren't bringing in at least 2 more strikers in the summer then I think he has to be kept. Johnson is still too young, Dickov is getting on and though quite effective, we could do better, Stead and Gallagher lack experience and are too inconsistent at the moment, and Bothroyd, no matter what you think of him, looks like he will be leaving. If we were to have injuries and suspension like we have had this season next term, then we would really be in trouble if we dont have at least as many options as we have at the moment.

I just find it odd how before his knee op he was starting games, now he cant get in the team. Is he not fully fit or what? I know Matt Jansen will be putting in hard work in training and to say otherwise is just stupid. He all know how commited he is.

Well, perhaps he was given a chance before his knee injury, and Hughes wasn't impressed.

2 goals from 4 games is good, but it's a bit of a superficial reason to keep him in the team when there may be more to it than that (see CLB's comments).

I don't think anybody thinks that he isn't trying in training. If you're replying to my point then I wasn't talking about his effort, I was talking about his performances.

a few sub appearances would do no harm. last seasons goal against liverpool shows he still got something.

he deserves one last crack in the close season, especially now we have some breathing space between relegation.

As much as it would break my heart, I think the least we both deserve is maybe at the end of the season a final full game for Matt, and a chance to say goodbye and thankds for the memories.

We have missed out on that for so many of our other players, as difficult as it will be, a final farewell, is what he deserves. sad.gif

Hope he gets a few more games

With the exception of Dickov, all other strickers are having a bad season.

So, he deserves his chance.

If he proves himself, give him a new one year deal contract.

If not, a start at the last home game would be great. Just to wish all the best to him and thank him for all he has done for Rovers. sad.gif

Edited by Oklahoma

He scored two goals which is good, but his link up play has been atrocious. It really takes the impetus out of the team. We need to free up cash and we cannot just pray that he will improve. Stead and Gallagher are the players we are looking to for the future to have Matt as well is a luxery.

He will go.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.