SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Souness Out!

LeftWinger

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking to a South Shields based Geordie today who reckons Souness only has a couple of games left before getting the push. It may have been mentioned on here but the feeling up in the north east is that Souness will move on to Rangers with Martin O'Neill the preferred choice for St James'. Obviously wishful thinking as O'Neill may be some way off a return to football because of his wife's ill health.

I cheered the Geordie up further by mentioning they paid us £1.3m in compensation for GS who at the time was only a game or two off getting the sack from Rovers, who in turn, would have had to shell out a similar sum to our former "hero." That is a net gain of £2.5m+ laugh.gif

If souness is to be sacked it has to be in January to a) give the new person time to turn things round and cool.gif time to bring in a new face or two to add a bit of balance to ano otherwise talented squad. It's a pity Owen couldn't have waited for a week or two to get injured, as otherwise Souness might have stayed out the seaon dragging Newcastle down further. As it is he'll be gone within a couple of weeks. As said previously without Owen they really don't look that promising.

I still like the man.

It took a while to get over what happened with us and him, like a relationship gone bad, until the other side calls quits, when you wanted to be the one to do so. Took a while to get closure, but now that time has passed, I feel sorry for him, I dont think theyre cursed because alot of the things that are happening at Newcastle, happened with us. It aint coincidence.

Plus I hate the so-called big club and their ego-filled fans. So lose more games Newcastle and go down. Money doesnt buy success, which you never ever had.

I know this'll rub some people up the wrong way, but I will feel a great deal of pity for Souness if he is sacked. That's all.

371248[/snapback]

I will certainly pity him as he brought the majority of the problems at Newcastle (and other clubs) upon himself.

A man who does not admit his mistakes and learn from them. That is utterly pitiful.

I like Souey.

One thing you can't fault him for is his genuine passion, and he does know alot about football, and on the couple of occasions I have met him he has been nothing but a true gentleman, a ''proper'' person as he would say.

Unfortunately, as a manager, he is too old fashioned and narrow minded. Good luck to him I say, but luck is something he has been often short of.

To add to what I just said, GS is a man I think often has good ideas, and the way they pan out in his head are often brilliant, it's just in reality he has often fallen short when putting those ideas into practice.

Sounds simplistic, but I know what I mean!

This thread will be closing soon if the Sun is to be believed. Fat Freddie is going to sack him today.

Whilst it is hard to feel sorry for someone like Souness, and some of the injuries might be down to bad training regimes, the current injury list at St James' Park would stretch the credibility of a hospital soap opera.

Ay least his successor will have a ready made excuse- "the players I inherited weren't fit!" Just so long as the guy who said that on first taking over from Souness isn't asked to say it a second time.

Roeder taking over today with Big Sam the eventual replacement according to the Guardian.

Latest news from Tyneside is that Fat Freddie will get rid of Souness if he hears of any more falling out with players- now there's an invitation! Souness meantime is trying to sign Anelka.

Edited by philipl

Owen has one of the dullest personalities in football, only rio ferdinand has a possibly duller personality.  To not have to hear his monotonous voice for months is a godsend.

370601[/snapback]

He could talk like Mike Tyson for all I care I'd have him on our front line

So when we play the geordies away they will have no Parker, Owen, Ameobi, Dyer.... Anybody else?

371370[/snapback]

Steven Taylor is also injured I seem to recall. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse for them the latest is that Titus Bramble is still fit.

I can't join in with any crowing about Souness getting the sack. He did a fantastic job with us for his first two years (that Hughes would do very well to emulate) and a mediocre job for his last two years. he didn't get us relegated and he left a team that with only 2 or 3 additions Hughes has turned into something pretty exciting.

We also got a big pile of cash when he went.

I'm glad he's not our manager anymore but I will always remember what he did for us.

This is brilliant - http://boards.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=8...toid=2124361219

They now have to SELL before they can buy so they are obviously skint! Shepherd deserves everyting he gets, employing the mutant in the 1st place!

Fell out with Bellamy and Robert and got Luque (couldnt hit a barn door / always injured) and Parker, Faye, Butt as replacements - all useless & injured

I would love Newcastle to go bust and get relegated - then we'll see how 'passionate' their fans are! grrrrrrrrrr.

Only one.....GRAHAM FENTON

Well he did pay £8m for Boumsong and £7m for Grabbi so why not?

371355[/snapback]

"HE" paid £7m for Grabbi ?? Surely that amount of money was sanctioned higher up the corporate ladder and came out of club funds ...? huh.gif

But nevertheless , I agree with those who find this schadenfreude a bit over the top . Well , a lot over the top actually ...

And the fact that he has a lot of injuries in the team will probably mean he'll survive longer than expected . Don't believe everything you read in the papers about imminent sacking ; and if he does go then it'll be largely down to media pressure rather than a rational decision taken by Shepherd .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.