BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lucas Neill

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, of course he isn't because he's grown up with the idea that Liverpool are all that's wonderful and Rovers are second rate that comes through so much of the media nowadays and has done for years. If it's all you hear then some of it's bound to rub off. More young players should look at people like Bentley, Steve Sidwell and others who've got away from big clubs and realised that they are good enough to hold down a starting place in the Prem and become heroes in their own right instead of always standing in someone else's shadow.

not really bothered, if he wants to leave its up to him, i don't take it personally, its his right to, been here long enough, i don't actually think he is good enough for a top 4 team, think his world cup silly tackle showed that, but then Liverpool seem to be buying middle table players lately so thats a likely place he will end up

Well, of course he isn't because he's grown up with the idea that Liverpool are all that's wonderful and Rovers are second rate that comes through so much of the media nowadays and has done for years. If it's all you hear then some of it's bound to rub off. More young players should look at people like Bentley, Steve Sidwell and others who've got away from big clubs and realised that they are good enough to hold down a starting place in the Prem and become heroes in their own right instead of always standing in someone else's shadow.

I believe warnock has gone backwards.

I've seen him several times in youth and reserve football dominate games from central and left midfield.

whilst I understand his willingness, to play anywhere for Liverpool, he doesn't look convincing at full-back and I cant see him ever being anything other than a stand-in (whilst others rest-up).

although his wage packet will compensate him, if warnock wants to have a great career and live up to his early potential, he has to move clubs.

he's battled back from 2 serious injuries, so he must have drive, determination and ambition. maybe that's been diluted and he likes it in the comfort zone ?

There is no doubt that Lucas is a good fotballer (far from excellent mind you), great athlete and a person valued by his team mates and staff.

What I can't understand are his comments. I can't work out whether he is stupid or being rather clever. However, I think the point is as club captain he should not be spouting his mouth off in the way he does. As many have said - he should be an abassador for the club!

As I have said Lucas in good footballer, but in my opinion Mickey gray would do a better job at left back. It would be my preference to have a left sided left back, it provides balance. I would argue a fair proportion of our goals conceeded originate down our left.

There is a reason he's playing at left back, because he can't play at right back. He is second choice there at the moment.

Lucas will think differently but a move to a big club will only highlight his defensive frailties. He's rash and it was his lunge which cost Australia a place in the World Cup quarter finals.

If we're well positioned in the league and still in Europe then the board should do everything possible to try and sign Wayne Bridge. He surely can't be happy sat in Chelsea's reserves and the price tag won't be that high given that Chelsea always sell fringe players for a fraction of their worth...he will be £3 million at the most.

As for Neill, he needs to be stripped of the captaincy with immediate effect. It sends out completely the wrong message to the rest of the squad and the fans. However, as long as he continues to perform on the pitch then he has to stay in the starting eleven. His motives for performing well are almost certainly selfish, it's obvious he's not fighting for the Rovers cause, but it would be foolish to put a weaker player in his position out of spite. Also, good performances from now to January will hopefully mean we get a good price for him.

What was he supposed to say? "I really wish the move had gone through"?

Just says to me he's got some common sense - much better than Lucas' way of doing things.

of course not, but he could've said something neutral,

(like: "there was interest ,but nothing came of it. i'm happy at liverpool.'')

instead of admitting his relief, with these unnecessary comments :

"As it was getting towards midnight there was always that doubt you may get a phone call saying it's back on, but I was happy it never came."

Edited by pleasure

yeah, how dare he honour his contract but be looking for some alternate place of work once his contract ends. How dare he how dare he.

If Lucas carries on playing as he is, and then leaves at the end of his contract, I would say thanks Lucas, good luck for the future.

People need to realise that they do it all the time in the real world so footballers doing it isnt actually that much of a crime.

However if he refused to play, or threatened to score own goals, Hang him upside down by the toes and let Abbey have his way with him for a bit. That'll teach him

I don't know about over there anymore but here, most places if you let your Boss you are looking for alternate employment chances are you will be let go in no time, often the same day. So perhaps not "all the time" in the real world.

Still lacked "fundamentals" though. :ph34r:

You can still be a terrific shot stopper with cat like reflexes but lack fundamentals, how long have you been waiting to try to pound that gravel up my arse.

Ultimately - Neill has been replaced by Bert - who IMO (at the moment) is actually doing as good, if not better job than Neill did at RB.

With my limited viewing I would have to say better.

As for Neill, he needs to be stripped of the captaincy with immediate effect. It sends out completely the wrong message to the rest of the squad and the fans. However, as long as he continues to perform on the pitch then he has to stay in the starting eleven. His motives for performing well are almost certainly selfish, it's obvious he's not fighting for the Rovers cause, but it would be foolish to put a weaker player in his position out of spite. Also, good performances from now to January will hopefully mean we get a good price for him.

Sums it up really

This man is a dsigrace with those comments.

As said on the capitain thread a couple of weeks back, this guy doesnt deserve to lead this club when he clearly wants away.

What do those people who were backing his captaincy think now?

Give it to Brad or Savage for me.

Lucas may not be able to keep his fat gob shut but as long as he is playing well there is no point rocking the boat by taking the armband off him and certainly no need to keep him out of the team. It's in his interest to keep playing well if he wants the big move he has dreams of...so it suits both parties. If I were you I'd expect him to slag off the town a la Henchoz when he does leave though, he doesn't seem that taken with the place ;)

Edited by FourLaneBlue

I think we have already known that he won't sign the contract for us a long long time ago. Only Hughes didn't know (or he did not want to know). It is old news already. In my heart the transfer has already happened... So let us talk about who will replace Neill?

If we sold Neill two months ago then we will have 2M. If we sold him in Jan 07 then we will get 1M atmost...

Edited by kevinyip

I think we have already known that he won't sign the contract for us a long long time ago. Only Hughes didn't know (or he did not want to know). It is old news already. In my heart the transfer has already happened... So let us talk about who will replace Neill?

If we sold Neill two months ago then we will have 2M. If we sold him in Jan 07 then we will get 1M atmost...

we don't know what the offer from liverpool was. the press may have speculated - but we don't know that 2 mill was on the table.

all we do know - is that the offer of warnock + cash was rejected by liverpool.

we don't know what the offer from liverpool was. the press may have speculated - but we don't know that 2 mill was on the table.

all we do know - is that the offer of warnock + cash was rejected by liverpool.

Oliver Kay in The Times yesterday suggested that "Liverpool offered little more than £1.5 million in August". So it was hardly worth taking...especially as it was so close to the transfer window closing that it left no time to bring in a replacement.

Neill still in frame as Benitez seeks bite at the back...

It seems like everytime Lucas spouts off, it's when he's off on international duty or talking to an Australian newspaper...why is that?

Well...apparently he rarely speaks to any British media other than Sky, not sure but it may have been due to all the negative press surrounding the Carragher incident.

As much as I would like to see the captaincy stripped from Neill for his completely unnecessary outbursts (For god's sake, why did he have to spout off about it now? If he's trying to force a move it would have been easier to do it in January anyway, without unsettling the team spirit and deriding the club's standing with him still having to play for months yet), I really don't think Hughes will take it from him. It would make it too obvious that it was only given to try to keep him, but furthermore it would risk increased disharmony in the squad, as Neill would probably have a right good moan about it to his team mates. However, if I were one of his team mates I'd be having words about now! And in conclusion- what a jackass.

Oh, and there'll certainly be no dropping of Lucas, that would achieve nothing and be an overreaction.

Edited by bluebruce

It doesn't seem to be anything that he hasn't said before numerous times and he hasn't actually said anything about Blackburn...just that he wants to leave for a bigger club.

So it'd be nice if he could be slightly more diplomatic but he does seem to be incapable of not saying what is in his head at the time or keeping his mouth shut when asked. In fact, he's just being honest.

Don't care about him leaving but we're unbeaten in six so no need to change anything just yet.

I have it on good authority...remember I brought you Rooney to utd during Euro 2004 from the same source, that Neill is going to liverpool..

My best friend who is a solicitor in manchester, took a call today from a client the players liason officer at Anfield, saying they need him to do some work for neill In january..

95% certain apparently

I did point put why would he want to go to a team below us in the league

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.