BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Amoruso

My tuppeneth about Amoruso is that he played a major part in ensuring our survival last season when he inspired our good end of season run.

Like Bellamy, I believe he is under-rated on this messageboard but probably over-rated by himself.

Mind you, my opinion of him rose last week whilst watching him play for the sererves against Newcastle, not just the fact that his passing was like Hoddle on a good day more his attitude in helping a very young back four and goalkeeper.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hughes and his staff have improved every other defender at the club, maybe they can do / have done the same with Amoruso. If they can then Amo's presence, attacking threat and ability on the ball could be very useful in the future.

When Rovers were defensively lacking Souness bought Amoruso. In response to the same problem, Hughes bought Nelsen. One of them has delivered 110%, the other one we're still discussing 'is he good enough?' If he was good enough, he'd be in the team and we wouldnt have bought Nelsen. Its as simple as that. End of season he'll be the first to leave.

I was wondering what people though of the lanky italian.

trying to get up the post total it seems. you only need to look at a couple threads or be here for a week to know everyones opinion.

or maybe im a fan wondering about a player and other peoples opinions and your too bothered about how many post a person has. who cares?

sorry stepped on sore topic. i was kicked off a site and thats one ofthe things the adminstration gotme for. i guess some of that wore off. ph34r.gif

no hard feelings rover.gif

The Italian love God is tough and good in the air, but his speed and technical game is poor. Not good enough to be here I'm afraid.

Whilst I've never seen him play, I was under the impression that his technical game wasn't necessarily his problem. He's been described as a good passer of the ball for a defender. However, you're certainly right about his speed from what it sounds like.

And bellamy11... probably the two most level-headed posts about Amo I've read on this board. Kudos to those who don't slag off Amo just because it seems to be the trend. That being said, I still think we'll see the backside of him this summer.

Well he might be a bit of a laggard but he was still quick enough to overtake Nisse in the pecking order. If the last few games are anything to go by, he'll be on the bench versus Arsenal.

Incidentally, is Nisse injured or has he gone off in search of a club who will be prepared to match his current salary. Keep looking, son.

What occoured to me is that Amo could do what Moko is doing for us if the axe got injured. Extremely similar types of player- massive, strong, decent technique and passing, good in the air. They even both share dodgy positioning sense (see Moko's games at centre back) although the South African has the Italian beat twice over for pace.

Me and another member of the board (cant remember who it was) advocating him for the role around October. Not saying he would be able to reach Moko's incredible standards but in the event of injury/suspension I think he would be far more effective than Flitcroft or Savage as the holding midfielder in a 451.

I was wondering what people though of the lanky italian.

trying to get up the post total it seems. you only need to look at a couple threads or be here for a week to know everyones opinion.

or maybe im a fan wondering about a player and other peoples opinions and your too bothered about how many post a person has. who cares?

sorry stepped on sore topic. i was kicked off a site and thats one ofthe things the adminstration gotme for. i guess some of that wore off. ph34r.gif

no hard feelings rover.gif

ok no hard feelings see everyone who can go in cardiff

Me and another member of the board (cant remember who it was) advocating him for the role around October. Not saying he would be able to reach Moko's incredible standards but in the event of injury/suspension I think he would be far more effective than Flitcroft or Savage as the holding midfielder in a 451.

And absence of pace would be a real impediment. The holding role doesn't require a lot of movement going forward, but it does involve picking up runners which he'd struggle at, especially if they got a head start.

You can't complain about his passing though, which is generally very good.

He has to be one of the worst signings that we have ever made. It makes you wonder why Souness spent so much effort on buying him, when he was getting skinned by Jimmy McScuffer every week in Scotland. Apart from being slow and unable to tackle or defend, he is quite a good player and I hope that plenty of clubs are interested in him, in the summer.

To be fair to Amoruso, we have yet to see him play in behind our new protective midfield setup. When he was playing earlier in the season the defence was under far too much pressure, and pressure is bound to force errors.

We will not see him play until Todd or Nelsen become injured or suspended. He will have to decide whether he wants to stay at Blackburn as cover or move on. It wouldn't surprise me if he chose to look for another club. I'm sure Sparky wouldn't stand in his way.

He has to be one of the worst signings that we have ever made. It makes you wonder why Souness spent so much effort on buying him, when he was getting skinned by Jimmy McScuffer every week in Scotland. Apart from being slow and unable to tackle or defend, he is quite a good player and I hope that plenty of clubs are interested in him, in the summer.

It's these kind of ill-informed posts on Amoruso threads that hack me off something awful. "skinned by Jimmy McScuffer every week in Scotland"? The guy won (if memory serves) around 10 trophies in a 6 years spell at Rangers - if he such a useless defender was playing every single game for them, Celtic would have easily overtaken. Amoruso hasn't exactly been inspired for Rovers, but rubbish like that makes me wonder if you've seen him play more than 2 or 3 games.

i think you will find Amo is a legend at ibrox. He was man of the match in almost every old firm game and won alot of trophys at Rangers. He just loses concentration in smaller games, hes not a bad player tho.

For all of his individual failings that mostly relate to his pace or occasional howler, whenever Amoruso played last season we looked a better side all round. He has a certain presence, some kind of gravitas that just seems to make those around him play better. He may not be individually the best option, but everything else that he adds to the total team performance I think he is worthy of a look in.

No doubt that Todd and Nelsen are the lead pairing, but with suspensions looming, I would quite happily see Amaruso in ahead of N-EJ.

looks like Amo might have to clean his boots if Toddy gets his marching orders sad.gif

Surely Craig Short is far more deserving of one last hurrah in a Rovers shirt than Amoruso?

He may well be a very nice guy off the pitch but the sight of him warming up on the touchline sends me into a cold sweat.

I wish someone would show Hughesey a tape of Amo's last outing, the 4-0 reverse at home to Boro and our Uefa Cup games last season before he is tempted to do anything daft.

Bye Bye Amoruso, Bye Bye

He hit a nice freekick but he didn't do much else.

agree, wats the point in keeping him we have 3 quality centre-halfs that are always going to play before him, he's just going to sit on the bench and take his pay which at a guess is a tidy little sum!

cya later amo!

i think you will find Amo is a legend at ibrox. He was man of the match in almost every old firm game and won alot of trophys at Rangers. He just loses concentration in smaller games, hes not a bad player tho.

Is Celtic v Rangers a small game? I seem to remember an incident when Amo was outpaced by that record-breaking sprinter, John Hartson, and subsequently brought him down to give away a penalty.

Is Celtic v Rangers a small game? I seem to remember an incident when Amo was outpaced by that record-breaking sprinter, John Hartson, and subsequently brought him down to give away a penalty.

From what i heard, Amo was generally decent in Old Firm games or European matches cos he had to concentrate for 100% of the time. However, problems seemed to arise when he had long periods of not doing much vs motherwell and would then make a costly error. I always seemed to be in the smaller games where he made the headlines.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.