SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Parkes Testimonial

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was a good night tugay was class his skill was ace he could do some of that in the prem once in a while i was fair gutted lost my programme in the mens toilets signed by tony parkes went back an it was gone he said hes coming back next year i'll try then

Really enjoyable night out, good to see Shearer responding to the crowd and what a fantastic reception for TP at the end.

A DVD of the night will be available shortly.

Excellent night, Cracking free kick from Gally aswell! Once the kids came on though they were playin like its a cup final trying to impress the fans etc....the championship side hardly got a touch.

Tugay...very entertaining.

Id be tempted to offer Ripley a contract though to give emerton a run for his money biggrin.gif

A splendid evening and great to see so many old faces. All the legends were there... Grayson, Donelly, Paul Dalglish... oh and some upstart called Shearer. I thought the most iconic moment was when Shearer was substituted for Garner near the end and the two had a quick chat as they changed over. A picture of that moment would be a most wonderful thing.

On the down side, the away support was pitiful! How many did they bring? And we never heard them singing!

Just got back to lovely Huddersfield. I went with a non-Rovers supporting mate and he enjoyed himself and he commented that the crowd was good, just a pity it couldn't have been another 1500 more.

Great to see the old guard back for what is almost certainly a last hoorah for many of them. Nice the way the current team evolved over 90 mins to Rovers Future.

Excellent reception for Shearer - hopefully it'll be mirrored when he makes his final appearance proper next season, or at least until the whistle is blown. smile.gif

Tony seemed genuinely moved by the experience, although his comment of "I'll be back next year" did make me think Hughesy will be sacked....

Finally, farewell to Craig Short. A more fitting finale than the Fulham match.

Being at univeristy in Hertfordshire and having an exam this afternoon i unfortunately could not make it, i'm so happy that as someone else has said things were put to rest. Sounded like a fantastic night, sent shivers down my spine when a mr A.Shearer got on the ball for the first time and the crowd started chanting.

Just like to say the fans that made it to the game did us proud tonight 13k is a great reception for someone who has put most of his life into the club.

I for one salute Tony Parkes from the fans of this fantastic club that could not be there to thank him ourselves tonight.

there was also another taxi for Paul Gallagher ranking with his kissing the kappa badge instead of the club badge last season. At the beginning everyone was singin 'OO AHH GALLAGHER' for kevin Gallagher, paul gallagher turned round and gave a big clap to the crowd...then i think he realised...TAXI

Old Al is a touch cumbersome now but his ability on the ball is still fantastic, his finishing is without comparison and he rarely wastes possession and can still hold the ball up for supporting players better than anyone in the prem. I just wonder where we would be and how many £600,000's we would be better off if we could have swopped him for either Stead / Dickov in August.

Edited by thenodrog

Yes, an excellent evening's entertainment and a good thank-you to Tony with 13,500 turning up and the KO being delayed 10 minutes so that everyone could buy a ticket. Looks like some of the pessimists here will be happy to be proved wrong.

It was a fair display from the codgers team of whom only Shearer and Grayson still play professionally. Super Atko's headed opener was class, I'll swear that Brad really did try to save it.

Hendry showed us his arse a couple of times (which was nice.) Mimms made a couple of class tips over the bar, Rippers was great to watch, starting of on those great darting runs bit realising, a split second later, that he could no longer do them with any pace. He caught out Jay a couple of times.

Garner & Speedie looked like Teletubbies, and probably played like them, but it was great to see them back.

Special mention to Tugay for treating us to a dazzling display of "showing-off"

Mustn't grumble and all that but the last 20 minutes were a bit of a anti-climax as the teams gradually metamorphosed into the reserves' "young bucks" playing the "old farts" which got rather one-sided and the youngsters not having the nouse to hold back.

And, as already mentioned, Tony's brief closing comments brought a lump to the throat and a tear to the eye. Something along the lines of "Thank you for all coming, it's a great turnout, I'll always be grateful to you Rovers' fans, you've all been very kind to me for all the years I've been here."

Edited by colin

What a great night for Tony Parkes. Really enjoyable evening.

Tugay was a treat to watch. Stead still looks like he could be an excellent player next season.

Flowers made a couple of good stops early on. Ripley looked keen and kept jay on his toes in the 1st half.

Shearer - Words not needed.

Altogether a really great 1st half and a decent 2nd half. Fancy seeing Flowers, Hendry, Cowans, Atkins, Ripley, Shearer, Gallacher, Newell, Speedie and Garner all performing well for their years back at Ewood for one last hurrah.

Just got the feeling through the last 20 mins that with our youngsters on, they were looking very cocky and sure of themselves and never really gave the other team much of the ball. I hope that is a good sign for the future, although they do all look rather frail in size.

Not sure who missed the sitter towards the end of the second half, seemed easier to score but somehow put it past the post ?? Reminded me off a previous striker that "alledgedly" needed more than a couple of chances to score smile.gif

I also thought it was great to see Kevin Hird. He looked as though he hadn't played for some time, but I really enjoyed watching a full back who could control the ball.

I don't agree about Jonathan(you're having a laugh)Stead.

On the way to the ground, I was listening to Radio Lancs who were interviewing Craig Short. He is not to be offered a new contract.It also sounded as though Nils-Eric will also not be offered one but that Amuroso will be staying.

Really glad I made the trip up, really was a great send off for Tony Parkes, he looked and sounded close to tears when he addressed the crowd at the end. Very happy for him that the numbers turned up on the night.

And secondary but still important, it was great to finally "bury the hatchett" with Shearer - I almost hope he's injured when Newcastle come to Ewood next season cos I'd like to remember last night as his final appearance on the hallowed turf.

[And there was a scrap between a middle-aged fella and a teenage manc bird on the National Express at 3am whilst stopped in Birmingham - most entertaining ... far more competitive than the game ohmy.gif ]

Edited by Tris

Was Mark Hughes there?

Was very impressed with Sergio Peter. We appear to have some very good young players that could make the grade; Jemal Johnson, Peter, Derbyshire, Garner, Byrom

Who was the lad at right back?

Tugay was class with the fans.

Excellent night- cracking atmosphere. Tugay was the star of the show- absolutely brilliant. Of the youngsters I thought Andy Taylor looked the closest to a first team spot- pushed forward well- but wasn't really tested defensively. Good to see Shearer scoring in front of the Blackburn End again- and finally getting the send off he deserved.

Harshest moment of the night- Gordan Cowans comes to take a corner in front of the Blackburn End- and a section of the crowd start singing Speedie, Speedie. The poor guy looked confused.

Jon Stead was trying a bit too hard to impress - some of his shooting was absolutely terrible. Paul Gallagher took both his goals well- cracking one if of the underside of the bar and putting a free-kick into the top corner.

Just a few questions, there were several people missing that it would've been nice to see at least turn up (they might have done- just didn't see them):

Kenna - play offs

Sherwood

Batty

Berg

Wilcox - injured?

Pearce - play offs?

Sutton - Cup Final

Duff

I will echo the thoughts of those who attended, what a cracking evening. Very rare to be at Ewood and be able to sit and take it all in.

Nice to see Mr. Shearer back, really did bring some memories back looking over to the B'burn End seeing them worship SHEARER, SHEARER, SHEARER.

I thought it was an especially nice touch how the last change of the evening was, "Kenny's had enough and Tony Parkes is taking over as Caretaker for one last time."

All in all brilliant.

I thought it was an especially nice touch how the last change of the evening was, "Kenny's had enough and Tony Parkes is taking over as Caretaker for one last time."

All in all brilliant.

316941[/snapback]

Tony's got the team out of some sticky situations before- but Kenny really left him in it there. 1 minute to go and 7-3 down!

What a good night.

Though the game was obviously a friendly we can count our lucky stars as the Rovers defence in the first half that consisted of Short, Todd, Nelsen and McEveley were run fairly ragged. McEveley in particular will be praying to the gods he doesn't come up against Stuart Ripley every week who despite hanging is boots up over 3 years ago skinned Jay about 4 times.

All the players from the glory era still had it.........as they say the legs go but the skill still remains.

Sid was a class above and played the full 90 despite being 46.

Newell still has that touch of class and an excellent first touch.

Shearer was Shearer despite the lack of service to him (probably used to that from playing at Newcastle LOL!). His goal was a carbon copy of scores he scored at Ewood. The loose ball was running diagonally through the box towards the right of the goal and he swivelled and put it into Freidels opposite corner.........and received a stupendous reception with the old Shearer bow evident. biggrin.gif

Super Atko rose like a Salmon to head an excellent opener from a typical Atko-esque forward run. He ghosted into the box like the Atko of old to plant an excellent header into the corner.

Gallacher also played very well showing his old turn of pace and ability to leave a man standing.

Simon Garner came on for the last 10 minutes and touched the ball once biggrin.gif

Speedie also made some good touches despite being fairly rotund.

Ripley was absolutely fantastic. The cheeky beggar even tried to do his old knock past and run on Jay Mac. One came off but the rest failed due to his lack of pace. but he still had the swivel and turn and very good touch and movement........and an excellent cross for Atko's header. We need this guy to train Emerton in how to cross. it was the first decent cross Ewood has seen for 2 seasons.

Flowers and Mimms did well in goal.

Big Colin is still wearig the same white trolleys from the laste 80's biggrin.gif

For Rovers Gallagher did well in a game that was almost as slow as he is, but scored two exellent top corner screamers (pity he couldn't shoot like that all season). Tugay was a star and possesses more skill in his left butt cheek than all the Rovers squad put together. He was showboating like nobodies business. Stead couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. Some of his attempts were embarrassing....poor lad biggrin.gif

Garner and Derbyshire took their goals extremely well indeed.

All round it was an excellent night and my old mucker Atko scored too biggrin.gif

SHEARER, SHEARER, SHEARER, SHEARER!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.