Those with Sunderland at the foot of the table

372660[/snapback]

I had portsmouth (+ a sacked manager) so how many points is that tongue.gif

Damn foreign investors! wink.gif

Continuing the LeChuck theme i have:

1. Chelsea

7. Bolton

13. Charlton

and the odd place on a few teams, with wigan, boro, brum and arsenal screwing up my table tongue.gif

Edited by modes98

Just did the predictor for the whole season on the BBC Sports home page...

Team GD Pts

1 Chelsea +63 104

2 Liverpool +32 83

3 Man Utd +39 82

4Arsenal +28 80

5 Tottenham +16 71

6 BLACKBURN+16 70

7 Wigan +5 68

8 Bolton +10 67

9 Man City +2 50

10 Carlton -5 49

11 Newcastle -9 48

12 Fulham -5 43

13 Middlesborough -10 43

14 Everton -19 42

15 Aston Villa -10 41

16 West Ham -15 37

17 Birmingham -26 31

18 West Brom -22 30

19 Portsmouth -29 29

20 Sunderland -47 14

Would be very happy with that table!

Edited by Rovers Air Force

1. Chelsea - too much money, too good a defence & a decent attack

3. Liverpool - Crouch will be a big plus

8. Rovers - hopefully Bellamy, Kuki & Jansen'll mean we score some goals  biggrin.gif

11. Aston Villa - miss Vassell

12. Newcastle - might be higher if Souness goes early on...

13. Charlton - annual late-season collapse'll happen earlier this yr, with a bigger impact

14. Fulham - lack of goals & no keeper!

18. Portsmouth - miss Yakubu badly, Robert may not make for a good morale

336971[/snapback]

Gerodies & Villa have swapped places.

I'm right about Charlton so far...

Just did the predictor for the whole season on the BBC Sports home page...

Team      GD      Pts

1 Chelsea    +63    104

2 Liverpool  +32  83

3 Man Utd    +39  82

4Arsenal    +28  80

5 Tottenham +16  71

6 BLACKBURN+16 70

7 Wigan        +5    68

8 Bolton        +10  67

9 Man City    +2  50

10 Carlton      -5    49

11 Newcastle  -9    48

12 Fulham      -5  43

13 Middlesborough -10 43

14 Everton    -19  42

15 Aston Villa  -10  41

16 West Ham  -15 37

17 Birmingham -26 31

18 West Brom  -22 30

19 Portsmouth  -29  29

20 Sunderland  -47 14

Would be very happy with that table!

372740[/snapback]

If we get 70 points (which we won't) we'll be in the Champions League!

If we get 70 points (which we won't) we'll be in the Champions League!

372949[/snapback]

As represented by the 6th place!?

Why not? we are playing well enough...or at least starting to get the results!

To be honest, I think Eroupe is a poisoned challace for a club like blackburn, I would rather we come 7th, beat Newcastle and prove ourselfs as a top 8 team for the seasons to come than fly up the table, again, get in to eroupe, crash out and have it destroy our next season.

P.S. I actually took quite a bit of time on the whole predictor...thought about each match (for everyone) in turn, and allowed for purple patches and shock results! took me about 1hr 20... so hope fully it will prove to be an acurate and fair reflection in the end!

RAF, 17 points between 8th and 9th? 17th survives on 31 points when 17th place already has 19 points and there is a January transfer window arms race going on between Pompey and everyone else down there?

You obviously enjoyed yourself but I think the final table will be much more traditional apart from Chelsea and Sunderland as outlyers.

If Rovers get 70 points, they will be in the Champions League, no ifs buts or maybes. (Liverpool came 5th with 58 points last season)

Edited by philipl

Anything less than a top ten finish will be mean a disappointing season. We have done ever so well to get into the position we are in, so we should be looking to improve on it, during the second half of the season. When you consider that we have played Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man United all away from home, it shows how well we have done. We should be confident about getting results against these teams at home, as well as the weaker teams. I think that we have the ability to finish in 6th, but if we strengthen the team, then this will make it more realistic. Any sort of European football would be great, but Hughes would have to strengthen the team in the summer to cope with it.

As represented by the 6th place!?

Why not? we are playing well enough...or at least starting to get the results!

To be honest, I think Eroupe is a poisoned challace for a club like blackburn, I would rather we come 7th, beat Newcastle and prove ourselfs as a top 8 team for the seasons to come than fly up the table, again, get in to eroupe, crash out and have it destroy our next season.

P.S. I actually took quite a bit of time on the whole predictor...thought about each match (for everyone) in turn, and allowed for purple patches and shock results! took me about 1hr 20... so hope fully it will prove to be an acurate and fair reflection in the end!

373015[/snapback]

Yes but in two weeks if we have played badly and picked up few points redo it in relation to how we are currently playing then!

We are in a purple patch and will no way carry this form through until May. Hopefully though, out form will be good enough to keep us around 8th spot.

To get 70 points that means getting 40 points from 18 games - dropping 14 points between now and the end of the season. That's crazy-talk.

Our aim is to get as close to 60 as possible. It'll be tough, especially if Bellamy picks up his monthly injury every time, but that's the goal. I'd take a drop in place or two in exchange for winning the Carling Cup, though.

Sorry to quote myself but this was how on 3 January I analysed us getting to 60 points. I thought 60 points was the highest realistically achievable toal then and I still do:

Which begs the question, how well can we do this season?

Ten home games to go which includes the top three and Arsenal so not quite the benefit of numeric home advantage it looks on paper.- I'd guess four points out of twelve from those games.

The other home games include three more derbies- Bolton, Wigan, Man City- given the unpredictable nature of these sorts of games, say five points out of nine.

Then three games against strugglers- Villa, Boro and Sunderland- should yield seven points out of nine given the way Hughes has made us more ruthless than Souness did.

Away trips to all the relegation-haunted clubs could be tough on the physio room- Sunderland, Pompey, Brum, West Brom should see us unbeaten on those vists, eight points out of twelve.

That leaves visits to Everton, Charlton, Newcastle and Spurs- win two, lose two for six points out of twelve.

So another 30 points giving a grand total of 60 would seem to be very possible without making any wildly optimistic assumptions. Everton came 4th with 61 points and Liverpool 5th on 58 points last season.

Interesting times ahead...

• 1 month later...

Didn't think this was worthy of its own thread and remembered Philipl's high expectations of Liverpool this season.

Well, I haven't really seen Liverpool play much at all this season, but today against United they have been top class. In midfield they have to be the strongest side in the premiership, in terms of depth, strength and physical attributes. In defence they are completely solid and Riise and Finnan get themselves forward at every opportunity.

They play big strikers with aerial ability and play to their strengths, putting as many throws, free kicks, corners and crosses in to the box as possible.

They are one world class striker and two world class wingers away from challanging regularly for first and second place.

You've got to be mad. Chelsea can boast a starting line up inclusive of Cech, Terry, Duff, Robben, Lampard, Crespo. United have Ferdinand, Ronaldo, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy - all world class players. Arsenal have Campbell, Cole, Henry, Pires. Argueably the reason Arsenal are doing as poorly as they are is that they have found it impossible to replace a world class player in Viera.

It is these kind of players that make the difference between mid table and champions league. The nearest thing we have to that quality is Bellamy. To compete with these teams we'd be looking at having to replace most of the team.

A new winger and a striker away from challanging for the title? Don't make me laugh!

You've got to be mad.  Chelsea can boast a starting line up inclusive of Cech, Terry, Duff, Robben, Lampard, Crespo.  United have Ferdinand, Ronaldo, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy - all world class players.  Arsenal have Campbell, Cole, Henry, Pires.  Argueably the reason Arsenal are doing as poorly as they are is that they have found it impossible to replace a world class player in Viera. 

It is these kind of players that make the difference between mid table and champions league.  The nearest thing we have to that quality is Bellamy.  To compete with these teams we'd be looking at having to replace most of the team.

A new winger and a striker away from challanging for the title?  Don't make me laugh!

385292[/snapback]

I'd take Nelsen over Campbell at this point....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.