BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

People on here shouldn't be having a pop at those who say they cannot afford to attend the matches. It's a very arrogant viewpoint.

I personally think Rovers offer very good value for money, hence we have 4 ST's in our house. However, being frank, I must admit the whole greedy, face-in-the-trough mentality that courses through the game is starting to p me off.

ok, i am gonna try and play devils advocate here. I think the people on here are not having a crack at anybody in particular, but more so at the group that "claim to be rovers fans but hardly every go" and those who claim that "it is too expensive" and would rather watch down the pub on the big screen, when in actual fact they will spend more money at the pub on a few rounds of drinks and ciggarettes. personally i feel that this group of people are coming up with any and every excuse they can think of.

it is also these people who whinge and complain the most. all those who don't go will really have something to cry about if rovers ever go under, and then come out and say "the club didn't do enough to attract the fans"

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what really annoys me - why don't they comment or try to reason why the fans are not actually going. Why don't they try and get out of their armchairs and look into the situation, they might find that there is also a dwindling in the crowds at home games and not just ours

Why not have a go at Boro for their home crowd and all the empty red seats

Where is the report having a go at Citeh for their following at Ewood last week.

Why can't thy realise we are not a city club and don't have the support of MU/Lpool etc or the media hype to go with it to attract 'other' spectators.

Lazy journalism

How much were tickets? And how many fans did we take in the end?

Agree lazy journalism, but was the match being broadcast on foreign TV? If so then I don't blame people for not going, as it saves a lot of cash. Although it's no further than the midlands games, and we do seem to take a lot more fans down there.

How much were tickets? And how many fans did we take in the end?

Agree lazy journalism, but was the match being broadcast on foreign TV? If so then I don't blame people for not going, as it saves a lot of cash. Although it's no further than the midlands games, and we do seem to take a lot more fans down there.

£24

800 the woman in beer kiosk said

I'm not..... If somebody is on low income with a young family or have recently been made redundant etc etc, I understand perfectly. I'm having a pop at the hypocritical that can well afford a ST but claim that they cant', when in fact they are in denial cos they are just simply dropping off the BRFC bandwagon. Don't forget I lived through the 60's and 70's and have seen it all before. Odd thing is that as soon as Uncle Jack turned up all the bandwagon jumpers quickly became dyed in the wool, lifelong fans once again. <_<

That was also the target of my post. I have no issue at all with any person who cannot afford to go to watch Rovers. If you haven't got the cash you can't go, simple as that. I'm sure there are many people who would love to go to Ewood on a regular basis but just can't afford it. For me, that only serves to make the "whinge brigade" out there even more frustrating, becuase the group of people I directed my post at can afford to go to watch Rovers and choose not to. That is fine, it's their decision and nothing to do with anybody else, if you don't want to go, you don't go. If they would say that then I'd have no problem, but its the fact that they bleat on continuously about how they love Rovers etc etc and just can't afford to go to watch them. As I said before, resolve the pricing issue and they'll simply find another reason not to go.

To sum my view up:

(1). If you can't afford to go then you can't afford to go, so you don't. These people were not the target of my post.

(2). If you work shifts, look after children or are otherwise engaged when matches are on, then its a simple fact that you can't go. Much as you probably would like to. Again not what my post was directed at.

(3). If you don't want go, then bloody well say you can't be arsed to go, don't big yourself up as a massive Rovers fan who cant afford to watch the club they "love". Sorry, but there are large number of these people out there - and I know quite a few personally. They won't pay £30-£40 to go down to Ewood, but whilst the game is on they'll sit in the pub and spend the same amount of money on drinks and cigerettes.

This is just my view, and is not directed at anybody individually or on this board. For me, if people get rattled by his view then they maybe fall into this category and don't like it. Otherwise they'd not find the comments offensive.

:ph34r:

ok, i am gonna try and play devils advocate here. I think the people on here are not having a crack at anybody in particular, but more so at the group that "claim to be rovers fans but hardly every go" and those who claim that "it is too expensive" and would rather watch down the pub on the big screen, when in actual fact they will spend more money at the pub on a few rounds of drinks and ciggarettes. personally i feel that this group of people are coming up with any and every excuse they can think of.

it is also these people who whinge and complain the most. all those who don't go will really have something to cry about if rovers ever go under, and then come out and say "the club didn't do enough to attract the fans"

Wonder if this trend continues whether Sky might give/sell the away teams the game to screen live but only in their own empty ground? (i.e. the Boro game screened live at Ewood last Saturday 3.00pm). Decent beer and plenty of tele's around the ground might just see the foreign channel live in the pub threat off. Just a thought....if you can't beat em then join em. :huh:

Don't forget I lived through the 60's and 70's and have seen it all before. Odd thing is that as soon as Uncle Jack turned up all the bandwagon jumpers quickly became dyed in the wool, lifelong fans once again. <_<

It's an interesting argument you make here. Firstly you claim people who can come won't and then hide behind pricing excuses. Then, in a period when more fans did come through the gate, you call them names such as "bandwagon jumpers". Perhaps glory-hunters too? You either want more fans here or you don't. And if Rovers get more, are you then going to have a pop at them?

That said, if you do know "fans" out there who big themselves up, can afford it, but hide behind the pricing then perhaps we all have a duty to at least burst their bubbles and shame them into either coming or shutting up?

It's an interesting argument you make here. Firstly you claim people who can come won't and then hide behind pricing excuses. Then, in a period when more fans did come through the gate, you call them names such as "bandwagon jumpers". Perhaps glory-hunters too? You either want more fans here or you don't. And if Rovers get more, are you then going to have a pop at them?

That said, if you do know "fans" out there who big themselves up, can afford it, but hide behind the pricing then perhaps we all have a duty to at least burst their bubbles and shame them into either coming or shutting up?

A. Sorry but what would you call the 'where were they when we were sh1t' / 'part time supporters' brigade? I knop what RtH you make up a collective noun for them.

B. Baiting the armchair fans is a regular pastime of mine. :tu:

Could have read `hopping` for a bumper crowd-inspired by the late Roy Castle, the Rovers board and staff are attempting to break the world record of standing hops, with the intention of inspring the stay-a-way Ewood no shows to come down and watch the over paid nancy boys once again fold to an early exit in Europe.

The record is currently held by the Middlesbrough board, who managed 332 before their recent EUFA cup semi final which pulled in well over 10,000 smoggies.

cletus..."....On a different note, I (& 2 others) will be attending the Salzburg game on Thursday night for the following reasons:-

a... All 3 of us happen to be off work at the same time (as we all work shifts)

b... We all think £15 is a fair price to pay for 90 mins football.

....It`s as simple as that. "

....Just got my tickets today for Thursdays match. £45 for 3 seats in the Jack Walker upper central ;)

I asked the rather attractive ticket office lady "how the tickets were selling?" & she replied "very well, infact better than expected"

...she went on to say it wouldn`t be a sell out, but the ticket office had been busy...even without s/t holders not having to claim their seats.

A. Sorry but what would you call the 'where were they when we were sh1t' / 'part time supporters' brigade? I knop what RtH you make up a collective noun for them.

B. Baiting the armchair fans is a regular pastime of mine. :tu:

Take your pick here :P

I personally think you'll like "annoyance" - an annoyance of part-time supporters or "wake" - a wake of part-time supporters

I hope it's a bumper gate on Thursday night, not only to help the team, but also to deliver a fatal kick in the knackers to the "We must charge 36 quid a ticket to maximise revenue" policy.

With the windfall coming from Sky next season, probably nobody would be more pleased to see well over 20,000 at Ewood on Thursday than John Williams and the Board. It would be a pointer for how to price next season and good evidence for the football attendance committee of the Premiership John Williams is a member of.

re the Guardian - I sent a snotty Email to the editor (dont expect anything like a reply) - pointing out the Salzburg trip, the distance and also the fact that Away fans are now treated little better than scum at most grounds.

Theno, that live showing of away games at the ground is a great idea

You are the third person to mention this in as many days.

Needless to say I have some kind of enquiry to ask the TO when I arrive tonight....

SNAP!!!

In fact I've had a premonition where hundreds of Rovers fans are stood in front of the ticket office singing 'Get yer tits out for the lads!'

It made me chuckle anyway.

I would like to criticise the ticket office employee in question.

She was very efficient when she sold me tickets for Middlesbrough a few weeks ago. I would have prefered if she had been woefully slow and I'd have to have stood at the window for a much longer period. ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.