BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tugay - Who Next?

IMO D'Alessandro woul dbe a great player to have in the team. He has shown glimpses of what he can do already. I couldn't believe that he went to Portsmouth on loan in the first place. I can see Pompey going down and they will have to get rid of players. D'Alessandro won't be hanging about and would certainly be worth considering. If he shows that he is capable of playing in the Premiership, then why shouldn't we go after him? Wolfsburg may put a huge transfer price on him, which could be a deterent. Also, if Pompey do go down, I would mind the likes of Gary O'Neill, Matt Taylor, Linvoy Primus and some others being looked at.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After today I think Bentley may well be up to the job. He was brilliant in the middle when retaining posession and spreading the play, he has an excellent shot, a few tricks and he can use his left really well too (he crossed better with his left than Pedersen does for Christ's sake!)

His nofty little tuns shows he has been learning off Tugay too.

Now if he can learn to tackle and work like Sav (and to be fair to the boy he was no slouch at all) we have a real prospect.

What was Wenger thinking?

Edited by joey_big_nose

After today I think Bentley may well be up to the job. He was brilliant in the middle when retaining posession and spreading the play, he has an excellent shot, a few tricks and he can use his left really well too (he crossed better with his left than Pedersen does for Christ's sake!)

Now if he can learn to tackle and work like Sav (and to be fair to the boy he was no slouch at all) we have a real prospect.

388658[/snapback]

Bentley is definitely....... the man to replace Tugay why are people looking elsewhere?

I was very impressed with Bentley today. In fact I've been struck by his ability in recent games. Notwithstanding his performance against United, his general play is very neat and tidy. He rarely loses possession, he has extremely good technical ability and his vision and passing range are excellent. Bentley appears to be expending very little effort in a game but covers a surprising amount of ground. He doesn't actually ever run with the ball, instead shuffling along and never wasting more than two or three touches. He also plays with his head up unlike the chronically wasteful Emerton (who had yet another mixed display today). All these things are the hallmarks of very good players. His 'softly softly' approach compliments the power of Reid and the, er...'enthusiasm' of Savage.

While the above is a rather cloying opinion of the guy, he obviously has to improve much of his game (his penchant for drifting in and out of matches for example). However as a replacement for Tugay, there are a lot of less talented/more expensive options than Bentley.

Edited by Rovermatt

He doesn't actually ever run with the ball, instead shuffling along and never wasting more than two or three touches. He also plays with his head up unlike the chronically wasteful Emerton

388671[/snapback]

He actually had a great couple of dribbles along the left side before putting crosses in, so he can do it if he wants to.

The midfield next week has to be:

Pedersen Tugay Savage Bentley

I am excited to see what that can do, even if it is a bit harsh on Reid. It should be pretty!

although david is still learning the game, he has more awareness, team ethic and end product than joe cole had at his age. what might let him down is his strenghth, but than can be worked on.

bentley is an outstanding technical footballer and you cannot dispute his ability.

he seems to enjoy playing for blackburn rovers and i enjoy watching him.

he seems to enjoy playing for blackburn rovers and i enjoy watching him.

388727[/snapback]

I think it's more he enjoys playing for a team that actually wants him, rather than a French dominated side that didn't give him the time of day. Of course the fact he's working with an exceptional backroom staff must help, but overall it's that he feels loved right now biggrin.giftongue.gif

Because he's only played in that position for about half of one game?

388785[/snapback]

He still looks more like he can do the creative midfield role than anybody I have seen at the club in the last three or four years bar Ferguson and Toogs himself.

Dunn played too far up the pitch, Thompson kept his head down, Reid and Savage lack the required nous, passing range and technique.

The next step is starting him in that role, which I think Hughes will do the next time Tugay is unavailable.

He might well not live up to the job in the long run, but we have to give it a shot. Personally I back him to follow the Turks footsteps.

although david is still learning the game, he has more awareness, team ethic and end product than joe cole had at his age.

388727[/snapback]

I think that's something important to remember. Cole was a showboating trick-pony until Mourinho helped him get his head screwed on straight--and that was last season, when Cole was 23 going on 24 years old.

I'm not sure if Bentley can be the next Tugay (I personally think he plays too far up the pitch to assume that type of role), but based on what he's shown us so far as only a 21 year old the future is very, very bright for him.

there is only one player at the moment in the mold of tugay were they can spot runs and deliver long balls and thats fabregas but doubt he will ever be a rover so my bets going with Dunn or Ambrose. if we get champs league someone like Rothen or Rodriguez and if all else fails push the wingers up and try to sign Hargreaves

389085[/snapback]

rothen, would love to to see him at the rovers but i think we are clutching at straws a little.

A name that I thought of the other day is John O'Brien.

Formerly of Ajax, now of ADO Den Haag in the Dutch Eredivisie, O'Brien played left back for Ajax but plays central midfield for the U.S. and is quite influential in that role. He's 28 and has had his share of injury problems--he's out now, and has been since September--but when on song, he's excellent technically, a natural defender and is a superb distributor of the ball. He's also one of my favorite players, so perhaps I'm being a bit biased.

Perhaps American or seahawkdad or some of the other Americans on this board have heard what's wrong with him recently... I think he's an excellent player and, if Rovers could convince him to come to England, the fee would be miniscule (if any at all) and he'd be an excellent gamble worth taking. Best get him now before he plays well in the World Cup.

388658[/snapback]

The Villa game should have put this idea to bed. smile.gif

The Villa game should have put this idea to bed. smile.gif

390070[/snapback]

He should get another chance at some point. Nobody is perfect first time around and Villa played a great pressing game.

The beauty of he system is Bentley and Reid can be switched around depending on the nature of the game at that point.

I would be suprised if Hughes does not give it another sho for half an hour or so at the end of a game.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.