BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn 4 (four ) V Charlton 1

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a fantastic point.  I believe we stick with Reidy.  What would it o to his confidence if he's dropped to the bench for the Citeh game.....?

359435[/snapback]

There is absolutely no chance that Savage will be dropped if he is fit. He is Hughes talisman.

A bit harsh on Reid but this is how these things go, although I am sure he will get a run out as a sub or will start on the right if Emerton is knackered from all the flying.

There is absolutely no chance that Savage will be dropped if he is fit. He is Hughes talisman.

A bit harsh on Reid but this is how these things go, although I am sure he will get a run out as a sub or will start on the right if Emerton is knackered from all the flying.

359437[/snapback]

well he wont be knackered from flying down the wing will he? wink.gif

I'd like to see Savage back in the side, he's been good this season, especially recently. As mentioned, with Emerton probably going to be too tired to play in the City game it would probably be best to then stick Reid out on the right and let Savage come back into the middle. The only other options for the right are Bentley and Thompson. Bentley has been decent this season, but he has been much better either when on the left or in the middle, while I'm not even sure if Thompson is fit enough to play.

I hope Emerton starts on the right with Savage in the centre. Either that or stick Reid on the right, but whatever happens I hope Bentley isn't involved, he has been pants since he came, looks like a schoolboy out there.

I must say I'm quite disappointed with Bentley, taken into acount that he has to impress if he wants a contract with Rovers.

I've just seen the goals right now from the game as I've been away all week.

What the heck was Emerton thinking?!

"Looks like this defender is shepherding me towards the dreaded touchline!! l Think I'll shoot from here"

While the defender's thoughts probably included something that rhymed with "clucking bell"...

I hope Emerton starts on the right with Savage in the centre. Either that or stick Reid on the right, but whatever happens I hope Bentley isn't involved, he has been pants since he came, looks like a schoolboy out there.

I must say I'm quite disappointed with Bentley, taken into acount that he has to impress if he wants a contract with Rovers.

359523[/snapback]

how many matches have you seen him play?

he hasn't been outstanding, but not crap either...he's not a right winger, he likes to be in the center and have ball possession, so his play is not like Emerton(the way i play right now)!

how many matches have you seen him play?

he hasn't been outstanding, but not crap either...he's not a right winger, he likes to be in the center and have ball possession

359541[/snapback]

I've seen him play against:

Bolton

Newcastle

Manchester United

Liverpool

Birmingham

Charlton

Thats 6 Premier League games and I haven't seen anything that suggest we should offer him a permanent deal. I think he's had one decent game, but my overall veiw is that he is far from good enough.

And if he is not a right winger, but a central midfielder, why doesn't he play there then?

I've seen him play against:

Bolton

Newcastle

Manchester United

Liverpool

Birmingham

Charlton

Thats 6 Premier League games and I haven't seen anything that suggest we should offer him a permanent deal. I think he's had one decent game, but my overall veiw is that he is far from good enough.

And if he is not a right winger, but a central midfielder, why doesn't he play there then?

359550[/snapback]

Quite right. I've already pointed out weeks ago that Bentley appears to have nothing to bring to the party.

btw I see the 'Save Jon Stead' Brigade have gone mighty quiet of late! tongue.gif Especially those who also happen to also be fully paid up members of the 'Paul Dickov must go' and 'Bellamy is a liability' gang! laugh.gif

359550[/snapback]

I agree with you that he hasn't been great, but that is unfair. Hughes picks the team. Like any good player Bentley will, and should, simply accept where his name is put down on the team sheet and perform his task to the best of his ability, this wouldn't change even if Hughes decided he should go in goal. You can't give him a hard time just because he is being played out of position, I think he has shown enough to prove that he has a lot of talent when it comes to playing in the middle or just behind the front two, if and when he gets the chance to have a few games in that position I'm sure he'd do well, for now he simply forms a valuable part of the squad, one that I'm sure will prove to be more valuable as the season progresses.

...........if and when he gets the chance to have a few games in that position I'm sure he'd do well, for now he simply forms a valuable part of the squad, one that I'm sure will prove to be more valuable as the season progresses.

359566[/snapback]

I agree - I can't see how he can be judged fairly until he's given a chance to play in his natural / preferred position for 2-3 full games. I get the impression this position should be in the 'hole' behind the striker(s), which he (and the team, more importantly) hasn't played yet.

From watching him play it seems he doesn't have the natural pace which would help him to make a difference on either of the wing positions. Neither is he definsively minded enough to know when to track back, cover his full back's runs, etc. I don't think it's a question of a lack of talent, because he does seem to be a skillful player. I personally don't think he's had the chance to show what he can do...and that's not to say we should scrap what is currently working to fit him in.

I think he's been brought to the club to try and make sure we have another creative midfielder / attacking option available, should we get a run of injuries / suspensions in midfield or decide to change back to a 4-5-1 formation. After Tugay, there isn't alot of creativity available in the team....Mokoena 50 yards wonder passes aside! blink.gif

I think the ultimate plan for Hughes would be to have Bentley play off Bellamy, but we don't have the team to do this. If Hughes can get us playing some more of the slick passing stuff that we've seen recently then a link-up man to feed Bellamy would be ideal. As it is, we need a physical presence up front for when we need to lump the ball forwards quickly.

I know he doesn't play in his preferred position, but one of the things counting against him in this role is his lack of goals. I'm sure he only scored about 4 for Norwich.

I know he doesn't play in his preferred position, but one of the things counting against him in this role is his lack of goals. I'm sure he only scored about 4 for Norwich.

359582[/snapback]

But weren't those goals from the right hand side?

I think the ultimate plan for Hughes would be to have Bentley play off Bellamy, but we don't have the team to do this. If Hughes can get us playing some more of the slick passing stuff that we've seen recently then a link-up man to feed Bellamy would be ideal. As it is, we need a physical presence up front for when we need to lump the ball forwards quickly.

359582[/snapback]

In the current 442 system the does not seem to be anywhere we can fit him in.

If he was to play up front I think Hughes would be looking to pair him with Kuqi, but obviously as long as Criags fit that is not going to happen. Having both Bentley and Craig in the team would mean we would lack height and physical presence- both qualities that Hughes demands.

He lacks the running and the defensive side of his game to pay in a four man midfield. He cant beat a man when he is wide and he looks about as porus as it gets when the opposition have the ball. Indeed many of his disadvantages seem remarkably similar to Gallagher's.

ps. I am sure that you have had your Username all the way back to around 2003. If that's accurate that is some remarkable foresight- player and shirt number!

Edited by joey_big_nose

In the current 442 system the does not seem to be anywhere we can fit him in.

He lacks the running and the defensive side of his game to pay in a four man midfield. He cant beat a man when he is wide and he looks about as porus as it gets when the opposition have the ball. Indeed many of his disadvantages seem remarkably similar to Gallagher's.

359588[/snapback]

A very accurate comparison Joey.

Playing Bentley and Kuqi upfront doesn't strike me as very likely, Bentley is a passing player with good technique, he should play alongside Bellamy IMO. He doesn't have defensive and physical qualities like Kuqi, but he can be the key passer behind the striker (and ideally, the wingers).

Also, lacking the height that Hughes demands?? He's taller than Dickov isn't he..?

Physical presence can be vital in periods, but Bellamy and Bentley has got different qualities - which makes them an interesting partnership imo.

He's certainly not a rightwinger, I thought he looked brilliant when coming on against Bolton. He came on as a leftwing didn't he?

I'd like us to sign Bentley, he'll need some time but I'm sure he'll become a great player.

Edited by herbergeehh

So if we want the best out of Bentley then we have to adjust the whole team and tactic to find his natural position? Come on, we ain't talking about Ronaldinho here, if we are going to play 4-4-2 then he just does not fit in..

He will surely cost £1,5m - £2m, which is money we can spend better elsewere..

Edited by krislu

So if we want the best out of Bentley then we have to adjust the whole team and tactic to find his natural position? Come on, we ain't talking about Ronaldinho here, if we are going to play 4-4-2 then he just does not fit in..

359596[/snapback]

No, that's not what I'm saying. Play him upfront with Bellamy, and play the ball to their feet. Not saying we should do it right now, since we're playing well with our current XI. But in the future, he can be a great player for us, "in the hole" like AiUK says, or just upfront in a free role.

The problem with playing him in the hole behind the two is obviously our lack of a purely defensive midfielder. Savage runs too much in every direction, and Mokoena isn't good enough allround IMO. And Toogs.. not solid enough in his defensive game.

I'm only going off TV coverage so I don't see the whole picture, but

my big reservation about Bentley is that he looks good when he's just come on or at the start of a game, then after a brief dazzle all you see are his limitations listed above.

When all the Prem sides are using Pro-zone or equivalent, it seems that the opposition find it pretty easy to snuff Bentley out of the game as any sort of force who can damage them.

In the first game in which Bellamy started after the West Ham debacle, Bentley threaded a glorious ball through to Bellamy which Bellamy applauded after the move had stopped- but that was the last we saw of Bentley as an offensive player in that match.

The only position I think makes sense for him is playing the narrower of two wide men. That pretty well boils down to forcing MGP out of the side on the left with Emo playing wide right.

I am not convinced by Bentley and certainly not at the rumoured £3m price tag. Meanwhilst, Arsenal have agreed to spend £2m on a young Mexican attacking midfielder- Vella- so Bentley is slipping yet further away from playing at Ashburton Grove.

Edited by philipl

What is the problem with Gray ? Will he be out of action a few weeks. Our good run seems to have coincided with his return to form and added stability in our weak position of LB. It would be a disapointment if he was was not be fit for the trip to man city.

I am not convinced by Bentley and certainly not at the rumoured £3m price tag. Meanwhilst, Arsenal have agreed to spend £2m on a young Mexican attacking midfielder- Vella- so Bentley is slipping yet further away from playing at Ashburton Grove.

359600[/snapback]

which rumours are these that Arsenal want £3m for him?? If Rovers had not come in for Bently with hours to go till the deadline passed, he would have joined Crystal Palace for just under £1m.

I think people are being too harsh on Bently. Its obvious he has 'real' talent and he's yet to play in his correct position for Rovers, which is just behind the strikers. And with Rovers now playing 442, its unlikely we will ever see him in his right position.

He will surely cost £1,5m - £2m, which is money we can spend better elsewere..

359596[/snapback]

I think thats exactly the right point to be making Krislu - Bentley is one of those players that is difficult to fit in. He's similar in that sense to Bergkamp, Rooney and Joe Cole, however those three bring an added quality that is worth trying to work around. Bentley currently doesn't possess that, if he starts to show that between now and the end of the season, we should sign him. If he doesn't, we shouldn't.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.