BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn 4 (four ) V Charlton 1

If they pay the money then yes, we do.

358749[/snapback]

I dont, the tossers can stay away, in fact Ewood Park should become an exclusive club with an increase in the local poll tax to compensate for the non attendees.

Are you listening Blackburn borough council - having said that they the council are full of sweaty socks and asians.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a brilliant performance. Some seriously classy goals and play-the sort of thing that every fan wants their team to play like.

Brilliant.

358756[/snapback]

Good to see some good positive comments about Rovers, apart from the geordie game which was a very strange game, Rovers have played extremly well at Ewood this season.

Well I got my two pennorth in on (Radio) Five Live just before 8 this evening, reminding Alan Green that it is time that the nation thought of Rovers in terms of what actually happens on the pitch rather than what certain media cretins imagine. I'm glad to hear that the sentiment has been echoed on TV too and can't wait for the reports in the papers tomorrow.

I thought that Charlton actually played well, and didn't stop having a go - they reminded me of some Rovers performances in the past where we have tried to play yet still ended up on the wrong end of a hiding.. But today was all about us. laugh.gif

Top, top performance today from the lads. What a good game.

I was worried beforehand. I thought we'd miss Savage's running in midfield and that Tugay's lack of mobility would be picked off by Charlton's 5-man midfield. How wrong I was! Anyway, Reid came in for Savage and Dickov was prefered up front to Kuqi - otherwise it was the same team that played Chelsea last week.

We started off like a house on fire. I've been critical in the past of the way we've started our home games but no complaints today. Within two minutes Emerton collected the ball at the edge of the area on the right. Charlton's full back forced him wide but Emerton managed to wrap his foot round the ball and hit a fantastic shot into the top corner of the net. Charlton's keeper looked like he thought it was going wide - big mistake.

Fifteen minutes later we were two up. A cross from the right deflected of a Charlton player and found Dickov in acres of space on the edge of the six yard box. He looked suspiciously off-side, even before the deflection, but he finished with aplomb. Cracking header.

We just controlled the game after that. Our passing was great and Charlton didn't have a sniff - right up until Gray had to go off on about the half hour mark with an injury (looked like his hamstring, could be out for a while). Mokoena came on and went to right back with Neill switching to left back, but we didn't look at all comfortable, and it was no surprise when Charlton scored from a move down our left. Neill seemed to let Rommadahl (sp?) go, he hit a decent low cross to the far post, and Hughes got there in front of Mokoena to stab the ball past Friedel.

Charlton suddenly found an extra yard and put us under some pressure for the first time in the game, but thankfully we held out until half time and went in deservedly 2-1 up.

We started the second half superbly. Within five minutes we should have had a penalty for a completely blatant handball and we won numerous corners and free-kicks around Charlton's box. We didn't get the breakthrough straight away though, but we plugged away, kept playing fantastic footy, and eventually got our reward with a great goal. A pass from the back to the right wing was flicked on skillfully by Emerton straight into the path of the on-rushing Reid. He hit a superb low cross to the edge of the six yard box where Pedersen, running in at pace, got a deft touch with his wrong foot to score a cracking team goal. OK, the shot got a deflection but I'm sure it would have gone in anyway.

Game over you'd think but, credit to Charlton, they came back and gave us a few frights. It didn't help that Todd had to go off with what appeared to be a knee injury (again, could be out for a while) and we failed to re-organise our defence. Hardly surprising though considering that Pedersen was playing left back at this point and Neill was an emergency centre back. Luckily for us though Friedel was in top form, he saved point blank chances from Heriderson (more sp?) and Bothroyd, as well as keeping out a couple of long-range efforts as well.

For all Charlton tried to get a goal back though we looked dangerous on the counter-attack. Another good move saw Kuqi (sub for Dickov late on) winning a flick-on, a Charlton defender getting beaten by the bounce of the ball, and Bellamy tucking the ball away showing the class he has.

And so it finished 4-1, and let no-one be in any doubt, we totally deserved it.

I'll start at the front because that's where our real class is. Bellamy was, yet again, excellent today. His runnnig off the ball is fantastic, he's also got a great first touch, and he passes as clinically as anyone in the team. And, just like Henry does down the left at Arsenal with Pires and Ashley Cole, he's linking up superbly on the right with Emerton and Neill. For the whole game Charlton simply didn't have any answers to the threat we posed down their left, and it was no surprise that two of our goals came from moves down that flank. In addition, Dickov worked his nuts off and scored a cracxking header, off-side or not.

In midfield Tugay was majestic. As I left the game I was going to give my man of the match to Emerton, but seeing the highlights again on TV it just showed how instrumental Tugay was. Considering Charlton had a 5 man midfield you'd think they'd have assigned one of them to close Tugay down, thankfully though they didn't, and Tugay had the time and space to control the game from start to finish. We passed the ball brilliantly today and Tugay was a huge part of that. He looks fit, full of running, and back to the sort of form he showed 2 or 3 years ago for us. Man of the match.

Reid filled in well for Savage, put himself about when he had to, and passed the ball better than he normally does. Emerton was terrific down the right - it just shows the confidence a player gets from scoring an early goal. He could be vital to our chances this season. The way he links up with Neill and Bellamy is such a threat to the opposition. Pedersen didn't do too much going forward, apart from score of course (how many times have we said that?!), but he worked hard defensively and helped reduce Gray's injury to a minor convenience.

At the back Todd and Zurab looked composed, clever, and controlled. Zurab in particular showed himself to be a great footballer, he frequently took the ball out of defence and started off attacks. Gray looked a threat before his injury, and the whole back four look troubled afterwards until half-time. Neill played in 3 different positions during the match and looked classy in all of them. He's been a revelation this season and it's not unrealistic that the likes of Milan may be looking at him.

Finally, Friedel made 3 or 4 great saves when he had to in the second half.

Charlton were overrun today. Their 5-man midfield was simply out-passed by our 4-man midfield (with thanks to our defence). Instaed of getting close to Tugay and stifiling his work they sat off him and allowed him to dictate play. He did it brilliantly. And up front we had the one class striker on the pitch - take a bow Bellamy.

We were brilliant today. Long may it continue.

As for the ref.. missed a blatant penalty, and should have sent Chris Perry off for a second booking, but other than that was ok.

358732[/snapback]

Up to a point Ste. If it had been a close game we'd be having a right go at Mr Dowd - and quite rightly, that pen was the clearest one we'll see this season. And you thinking about Perry's challenge after about 20 mins, think it was Reid on the receiving end? Maybe it was one of those that looks worse than it was, but another example of a Rovers player not making a meal of things might just have saved Perry. It's one of Reid's traits not to roll around like an Arsenal player after a challenge - other teams please take note.

Superb. Best game I've seen at Ewood for years. I've always been a huge Tugay fan (we will miss him for sure when he's gone) and today he ran the show. Danny who? Although I have to admit in my mind I had Neill running him close for MoM. Zura just seems to get better every game - his reading of the game is excellent. And I hold my hands up - I never thought I'd utter the words "Gray going off knocked us out off our stride". And Bellers is just a class act. People might take notice of us now. Only disappointment was 17000-odd fans. The tickets are cheap in prem terms, we are starting to play good football agian - surely it's only a matter of time before the fans turn up again...

Good performance from the boys, the thing is that I still don't think that we've seen a "polished" performance from the boys yet, someone is going to be on the end of a thumping soon, if we can keep up the standards at present. Still take nothing away from the team, would have liked to have seen less of Brad though!

Friedel- 8 (Hreidarsson and Bothroyd denied by fine stops)

Neill- 9 (Keeps getting better and better, played right, left and centre back!)

Khizanishvilli- 8 (Classy. Classy defender, plays better with Nelsen though)

Todd- 7 (Quietly effective, Hopefully Nelsen is back soon to take his place, if injured)

Gray- 6 (Injury curtailed afternoon)

Emerton- 8 (Fantastic goal, confident throughout)

Tugay- 9 (Only remember one bad pass all day, pure class)

Reid- 7 (Struggled first half, good second, good cross for Pedersen's goal)

Pedersen- 7 (Quiet, but scored a good goal)

Dickov- 7 (Worked hard, took goal well)

Bellamy- 8 (Worked even harder, deserved goal)

SUBS

Mokoena- 6 (Could have been braver for Charlton goal, steady)

Bentley- 6 (Quiet, kept possesion)

Kuqi- 7 (Great header to setup 4th)

Edited by rog of the rovers

When Toddy came off the pitch, unlike Gray he didn't head off with the doctor for immediate treatment, just got a bench coat on and watched the rest of the game. Maybe that means it's not too serious (Please god).

On the slightly worrying side, I've been trying to think of defenders we've got who could come in to replace our broken ones. One truly awful thought hit me, which I shared with those around me- so if you heard a huge groan from the Jack Walker just about 10 minutes from the end it was us. Oh the thought? Amoruso. (Please someone tell me he's injured)

Surprised no-one has mentioned Emerton's shocking miss of the open goal from Bellamy's cross. I'm not having a go at Bret as he scored a screamer, I just think the sublime cross from Craig highlights his quality. Could any of our other strikers do that, I don't think so. We're a different team when he's on the pitch - we can play it on the floor, go out wide, pass through the middle, or simply bang it up to Kuqi/over the top. The problems he poses for the opposition is great to watch. As somebody has said, he's our Henry, just hope he can stay healthy.

As for the game, well it was great wasn't it. I commented to my dad about the fact we can play the rough stuff and the silky stuff, not too many teams in the league can do them both. You've got to admire the job Hughes has done, he's made a very fit cohesive unit out of very average players with a few quality ones thrown into the mix (Tugay, Bellamy, Nelsen). Very impressed!

Rovers were unsure about extending Tugays' contract for this season.

Sign him up now for next year. Played the full 90 mins today and looked as good as he ever has.

358703[/snapback]

I've been hoping for something similar myself recently - he's been superb of late. I really don't think another season would be out of the question if he can keep himself in shape.

I don't know if it's just me, but he seems alot fitter recently than he has done over the last year or so. He's now playing 90 mins week in, week out, working hard defensively and still going strong towards the end of the games.

Make the most of watching Tugay at Ewood (if you get the chance) - he was a different class today. Unless Hughes unearths another gem, it may be a while before we see a player with his vision, ability and confidence in our midfield.

When Toddy came off the pitch, unlike Gray he didn't head off with the doctor for immediate treatment, just got a bench coat on and watched the rest of the game.  Maybe that means it's not too serious (Please god).

On the slightly worrying side, I've been trying to think of defenders we've got who could come in to replace our broken ones. One truly awful thought hit me, which I shared with those around me- so if you heard a huge groan from the Jack Walker just about 10 minutes from the end it was us.  Oh the thought?  Amoruso.  (Please someone tell me he's injured)

358773[/snapback]

I think Matteo would feature before Amo, but tbh the way Hughes has organised the defence I think anyone could come in and be at least decent.

Surprised no-one has mentioned Emerton's shocking miss of the open goal from Bellamy's cross. I'm not having a go at Bret as he scored a screamer, I just think the sublime cross from Craig highlights his quality. Could any of our other strikers do that, I don't think so. We're a different team when he's on the pitch - we can play it on the floor, go out wide, pass through the middle, or simply bang it up to Kuqi/over the top. The problems he poses for the opposition is great to watch. As somebody has said, he's our Henry, just hope he can stay healthy.

358775[/snapback]

Personally, i thought that the ball was inches too high and had a tiny little bit too much pace for it to be called an open goal. Should probably have scored in all honesty tho.

Interesting comments from J.W in the program, highlighting the fact that all our 'high profilr' games are in the 2nd half of the season, manu, ares, chels, l'pool, bolton, man city and Wigan. This coupled with our decent home performances should see a fair few half season tickets sold imo.

I didnt mention Zurab but he was brilliant. If he continues this way, soon it may be hard to decide who our best defender is, he or Nelsen.

Delighted to be a Rover.

Thankfully an international break to allow our injured players to come back. Lets hope for an injury-free week though.

I've been hoping for something similar myself recently - he's been superb of late.  I really don't think another season would be out of the question if he can keep himself in shape.

I don't know if it's just me, but he seems alot fitter recently than he has done over the last year or so.  He's now playing 90 mins week in, week out, working hard defensively and still going strong towards the end of the games. 

Make the most of watching Tugay at Ewood (if you get the chance) - he was a different class today.  Unless Hughes unearths another gem, it may be a while before we see a player with his vision, ability and confidence in our midfield.

358780[/snapback]

If we do sign Petrov then it will be an interesting battle between them as presumably both cannot play in the same 442.

As a sidepoint, I have not watched Celtic too much but he seemed more of a skillful breaking forward kind of midfielder in the Scholes/Lampard type (I could well be wrong about this. I haven't seen the Hoops play in over a year and then only briefly and with minimal interest) rather than a deep sitting dictator of play like Tugay/Ferguson/Keane.

ps. I have to say those who advocated a switch to 442 have been absolutely vindicated. I opined sticking with 451 and have been proved utterly wrong, much to my delight!

It has to make you wonder what kind of force we would be with another true world class forward. Hughes has been tremendous and has proven himself as a manager who can achieve with few resources. Bentley aside none of his signings have been less than very good (Nelsen, Kishi and Bellamy have been sublime!) , and all have been bargains (apart from possibly Savage. 3.3m was a bit steep at his age but he has been doing the business!).

ray clemence could not have been more complimentary if he tried, regarding our performace this morning. "blackburn are a joy/pleasure to watch" "the football that blackburn are palying is first class" was also another of his comments.....my reply to him on that one was it is a shame that at least 10,000 more rovers fans disagree with him. he also said "if this was chelsea playing this kinda football, we would all be wowing and marvelling at them".

we have played some outstanding football this season and the players are giving the fans what they have been whinging about for a long time...some quality football to watch. my own opinion is that those so-called fans who slag them off when the going is bad will not be heard from until if and when rovers go through another bad spell....that really chaps my arce!

just over 17,500 for a premier league attendance is disgusting!

One game doesn't make a dynasty but that was about as entertaining, enjoyable and classy a performance from Rovers as I can remember since .... well since the halcyon days of the mid-90s.

Chelsea would have been proud of that performance. wink.gif

Especially against Charlton! But then again, they didn't lose to them either...

Hopefully slowly slowly fans will start coming back and the figure will hit the early 20's. Cant see more though.

We didnt lose fans overnight, and we aint gonna regain them that way either. It was 2 years in the making.

358793[/snapback]

That hits the nail on the head. Fans do not drift back quickly once they stop coming. half a dozen games in, and we have won 4. Its not gonna bring the crowds flooding back!

rover.gif i've not enjoyed a game at ewood for years,this was total pro zone football at it's best.to say we had to re-adjust our defence not once but twice speaks volume's for the manager.

tugay was outstanding,he can do a ray wilkins play for years more- i have been dismayed season after season when the club has renewed his contract,but he has turned the clock back to our first year back in the premier and showed us all how good he is.i honestly think he has become fitter and does not tire anymore,his passing has always been fantastic,but apart from the villa away goal-how many have gone astray,another pro-zone sucsess.

niell has been reading the ac milan rumours,because he was immense,not only at lb,rb and centre back,he has at least one good chance a match-if he starts finishing the 10 million move to the san siro may become reality.

zurab the asylum seeker is henning berg the second,his reading off the game is outstanding,please please please start winning rangers.

todd has learnt his lesson,back to being the ball winning centre half we all love.

friedal showed why he is still good enough to be no1 at ewood,he saved us many points over the years and maybe this season he is letting his superb standard's slip but will we find better?

emerton needs to be dropped more often,after every bad game he should be dropped,not given another chance because since his little spell on the bench he has returned to form.

now to bellamy,he has never been a favourite off mine but this guy is truly top class,his deft touches- continously running the line -and one chance has usually meant a goal.

the rest played well,dickov was good,took his goal well,so was mgp,and read was back to his best,even his trapped balls turned into good passes.

friedal 9

neill 8

zurab9

todd8

gray6

emerton 8+

tugay9+

read7

mgp7

bellars 8

dickov 8

subs

axe 6 tinykit.gif

The fantastic atmosphere around the ground and particularly on the Blackburn End on Saturday deserves a mention.

One can definitely feel a sense of the building momentum of the atmosphere, if not the attendance after each home win. Surely the club should strike while the iron is hot and employ to maximum effect any marketing strategies they may have now, while they are likely to have the greatest impact?

Is BRISA suitably well established yet to have an influence in such areas?

Surprised no-one has mentioned Emerton's shocking miss of the open goal from Bellamy's cross. I'm not having a go at Bret as he scored a screamer,

358775[/snapback]

From directly in line it was an unbelievable miss! We were already 'up' ready to cheeer. Harder to do what he did than score imo. And TV slow motion made it look an even worse miss. Thank goodness the 3 points didn't depend on it.

What a fantastic performance. I would say that is the best I've seen Rovers play for at least 3 years. Charlton are 1 of the best teams in the league and we stuffed them out of sight, even with having to reshuffle twice because of injuries.

It shows how important it is to have a proper playmaker in the team as Tugay was supoerb and ran everything from the midle of the park. I wander how many times he touched the ball because everything went through him. There are very few players in this league who can play that role and probably none who can play it as well as he can when he's on his game so I hope we can get another year out of him after this.

Flowing football, great wing play, noisy crowd and goals galore. FOOTBALL IS BACK AT EWOOD!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.