BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn 4 (four ) V Charlton 1

Corresponding fixture last season had an an attendance of 19,818 played on Monday 3rd Jan(3.00 pm)

The first time we scored four in a league match since April 12th 2004 (Fulham away 3-4 win).

Highest home score at Ewood since 16th August 2003 V Wolves (5-1) (Emerton also scored that day(another screamer))

Second lowest crowd at home for a league match since the return to Premiership(Fulham earlier this season was lowest with 16,953).

Best performance by Rovers at Ewood since Wolves match(see above)

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rover.gif was looking at the gates in the championship and 6 or 7 had better gates than us,we have to do something about our poor gates,what i do not know but in the end the poor gates will cost us players,manager or even premiership survival tinykit.gif

Check the history books folks, anyone thinking a few good performances will bring the crowds flocking back is mistaken. This public once lost is very very difficult to win back, You can also bet that when they do decide to go we will flop in an amazing fashion. It's the way it's been since the sixties. Thousands will walk away saying, see I told they weren't up to much, same old Rovers. Those pointing out the bigger gates in the Championship.... you could also point out the size of the town/city and the quantity of nearby competition for entertainment Pounds.

Hello all. I've been reading this site for at least seven years now and am familiar with most of the characters on here. The Shearer-worshippers and the "He dumped us" brigade, the Souey-ites and Souey-despisers (Jan? biggrin.gif ), the various Clarets bringing good tidings, the "9-post wonders" whose grammar and punctuation could be bettered by a stoned chimp on a typewriter.... I'm 21, my Dad used to work in the Blackburn area and got me into following the Rovers circa '92. I've been over to many home and away games at this stage: The Good (VE Day 1995), The Bad (0-0 Man United at home 98/99) and The Ugly (0-2 QPR at home 99/00).

Having just got back to Dublin this morning after yesterday's game I feel compelled to make my first post. What a fantastic performance, unrecognisable to some of the dreck served up by the end of Souey's reign. What impressed me particularly was the HUNGER of the team - which is not something that has not always been the case, particularly since Damien "I Love The Rovers" Duff left. Right from the word go there was fighting for every ball and a real drive to get forward. Emerton shed his usual head-down, Forrest Gump routine down the wing and made a lot of intelligent passes, not to mention the peach of a strike. Reid and the sublime Tugay totally bossed the midfield and apart from a few shaky moments second half the back line was very assured. Dickov, never short of 100% but lacking in quality, had a very effective game and Bellamy is showing a trickery up front we've been lacking since Jansen's accident. His work-rate is tireless - even before his one clear-cut chance (resulting in the goal) he was dragging the Charlton defence all over the place with intelligent runs. After the lacklustre first few games to the season, it looks like we mean business.

Pity to see the gaps all over the stadium, but from where I was sat (Row 23 BBE) the place was buzzing - almost non-stop singing and a pleasing reception for Jay Bothroyd. Even in the nervy few minutes after they scored the crowd was very vocal and didn't get on the lads' backs. The way the team approached both halves got people going. Compare that to some of the first halves at Ewood we've seen this season - WBA and Brum come to mind. With performances such as yesterday, and the ticket deals, there's not much else the club can do to entice supporters back.

I'd already booked my flight over for the West Ham game before yesterday, and since getting back home I've been looking at flight prices for the dates of other home games. I'm quite happy to spend my limited student funds on Hughes's rejuvenated Rovers. It was a joy to watch. Long may the resurgence continue!

awsome on saturday fairplay!!

delighted with the performance, tugay was immense.

shame we have a break now for internationals.

359028[/snapback]

Aye, always seems to come at the worst time for Rovers.

The gates are very alarming considering some of the performances put it recently. 4 home wins on the trot before this one and still a terrible turn out. It's hard to say what will fix this.

Got to agree with USAblue, once you lose fans when they have made their minds up, Rovers management face an IMPOSSIBLE TASK to get them back judging by the comments the stayaways have been saying to me.

So, Rovers have to look forward and leave the stayaways behind, future decision making should not include making any allowances for these people, to do so is wasting energy and vital resources.

The club should grow with what we have got with the club making improvements on how changes in peoples daily lives can be accomodated into their continual commitment to supporting Rovers i.e children becoming late teens to first time home buyers to family men and women.

In April 2003 nearly 28,000 attendance for Charlton although I recall there were concessions. How can 10K "supporters" go missing?

358966[/snapback]

It would be interesting to see how the gate receipts compared for those two fixtures ...I'm convinced that it's time kids were let in for a strictly nominal fee . No time to expand on this however ....

It would be interesting to see how the gate receipts compared for those two fixtures ...I'm convinced that it's time kids were let in for a strictly nominal fee . No time to expand on this however ....

359145[/snapback]

It was £1 for kids, I know cos I snook in for a quid!! hahahahaha

Just reflecting on Curbs comments on MOTD, when he criticised the ref and linesman for missing Dickovs 'offside' goal.

1. It was very close to call and imo when the ball was played it was definitely headed and not deflected by the Charlton defenders head. Therefore it was 'played on'.

2. Although Dickov was just in front of the first defender at the time the ball was played the replay showed that the linesman could not see 'air' in between them.

3. Unless there was selected editing he made absolutely no mention of the nailed on handball that both ref and linesman missed. He needs to rem it could and should have been 5!

Just reflecting on Curbs comments on  MOTD, when he criticised the ref and linesman for missing Dickovs 'offside' goal.

1.  It was very close to call and imo when the ball was played it was definitely headed and not deflected by the Charlton defenders head.  Therefore it was 'played on'.

2.  Although Dickov was just in front of the first defender at the time the ball was played the replay showed that the linesman could not see 'air' in between them.     

3. Unless there was selected editing he made absolutely no mention of the nailed on handball that both ref and linesman missed.  He needs to rem it could and should have been 5!

359159[/snapback]

....and the fact we bagged two more after the incident wink.gif

Noticed that Graham Liver was still doing the half-time draw, heard him mention that Beamo was still poorly with a bad back. Well he certainly can't blame the aforementioned bad back on assisting the blonde maid with the draw trolley!

Just reflecting on Curbs comments on  MOTD, when he criticised the ref and linesman for missing Dickovs 'offside' goal.

1.  It was very close to call and imo when the ball was played it was definitely headed and not deflected by the Charlton defenders head.  Therefore it was 'played on'.

2.  Although Dickov was just in front of the first defender at the time the ball was played the replay showed that the linesman could not see 'air' in between them.     

3. Unless there was selected editing he made absolutely no mention of the nailed on handball that both ref and linesman missed.  He needs to rem it could and should have been 5!

359159[/snapback]

To say nothing of the numerous chances Rovers had to score that were not taken i.e.by Tugay freekick at Darwen End, Bellamy flagged offside when he was clearly on, Two good chances for Emmo at BBE, Another for MGP etc,etc. And this is from my 50+ mins of the game as shown by Football First; who knows how many more there may have been in the 90min version.

If we are going to debate the match on reasonable chances to score, my guess would be in the region of 10 -5 in favour of Rovers. I beg to move.

Edited by Fife Rover

For the poster complaining that kids should be allowed in for a nominal amount - £5 isn't that much to pay. Even £10 to watch us play United, Arsenal or Chelsea represents good value for money.

The gate issue isn't just a Rovers problem - it is a general disenchantment with Premiership football. It would also be interesting to see when the decline started - as I feel Football First on Sky has a lot to answer for.

Many people that swelled the gates in the Jack Walker era started watching Rovers as we had a genuine chance of winning things. In the old 1st Div we still maintained gates as we were going for promotion.

Fans need to feel that there is something to fight for - and that the players reflect that passion. More and more fans are complaining about lack of passion from players in the premiership - which is largely due to the lack of competition.

Thankfully Hughes has given the team back the passion, we also now seem to be playing with a certain amount of flair. Time for the crowds to come flooding back - we can only hope. tinykit.gif

Noticed that Graham Liver was still doing the half-time draw, heard him mention that Beamo was still poorly with a bad back.  Well he certainly can't blame the aforementioned bad back on assisting the blonde maid with the draw trolley!

359197[/snapback]

My missus goes mad about that every week!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.