BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn 4 (four ) V Charlton 1

Saturday the 5th November sees Charlton Athletic make the trip from South London to Ewood Park. Charlton are in a better league position (5th), winning 7 of their 12 premiership games so far this season.

However, it is interesting to read that Blackburn appear to be the form side, as Charlton have won only 1 of their last 5 games with Blackburn winning 3 of their last 5 games. Blackburn lost both away at Liverpool and Chelsea, both grounds which are notoriously difficult to get a result. The Opta stats for Charlton and Blackburn compare as follows:

Blackburn: League Table

Games 10

Goals 9 12

Shots 103 7

Conversion% 9% 16

Passes 3325 14

Pass% 73% 10

Crosses 235 8

Cross% 22% 17

Tackles 353 4

Tackle% 74% 3

Fouls 182 1

Yellow Cards 17 8

Red Cards 2 2

Charlton: League Table

Games 9

Goals 15 2

Shots 93 11

Conversion% 16% 2

Passes 3320 11

Pass% 77% 6

Crosses 171 19

Cross% 26% 6

Tackles 318 9

Tackle% 71% 13

Fouls 132 15

Yellow Cards 12 18

Red Cards 1 4

(That took me bloody ages! thumbs-up.gif )

It is interesting to note the goals scored by each team. Darren Bent has contributed significantly to Charlton’s Goal tally, and his 55% target rate gives insight why. Blackburn hopefully will have too a deadly striker in Craig Bellamy who touch wood, will stay free of injury and will be sure to cause Charlton problems.

I have been given answers to some questions posted to Charlton fans. Here is CafcRocky’s response:

What are the Charlton fans expectations of the team this season?

UEFA cup hopefully, as long as we can avoid our customary end of season collapse.

Is the team at the current time living upto these expectations and what is needed to ensure that the run continues?

Despite a few disappointing results recently, we are in a very strong position, and just need to sort out our home performances.

Do you think that players will be bought in January to fight off the curse of the bad end to the season that Charlton suffers - and if so, who and why?

At the moment our team is fine...we bought well in pre-season and have a much larger and more flexible squad than in past seasons. Another decent striker to partner Bent wouldn't go amiss though.

What would be an acceptable finish for Charlton considering the good run they have got at the early stage of the season?

Mid-table would be acceptable, it always is. UEFA cup would be nice though.

Are you surprised how Darren Bents done at this early stage of the season and should he be playing for England?

He is a quality player who has exceeded most expectations, and should at least be given some sort of chance in the England team! Sven’s been naive to ignore him from the team so far.

How do you rate Alan Curbishley and would you begrudge him becoming England manager?

Curbs is a quality manager who has all the credentials to go all the way as England boss. I wouldn’t blame him if he left for England, its every manager’s dream I guess.

What’s your opinion of former rover Jay Boothroyd?

Boothroyd has started reasonably well here, but he's still settling in at the club, and finding it difficult to break into the side with Benty on top form.

Are there any players breaking into the main team from the academy and are there any players we should look out for in the future?

There have been plenty of players in past years that have been tipped to make it big from our academy: Neil Mcafferty, Stacy Long, Osei Sankofa...none of these has, and I don’t see anyone special in our academy at the moment.

Do you see parallels with both Charlton and Blackburn as clubs due to their family-orientated backgrounds?

Definitely, both clubs have a very welcoming atmosphere at their grounds, which is absent at many premiership stadiums.

What main threats should Blackburn look out for?

Murphy’s through passes, Thomas’s pace, Bent's finishing

What is the Charlton’s fans view on Blackburn this season and do they think that they warrant the "bully-boy label?"

Blackburn is the most undisciplined team in the league, proved by the statistics. They will pay the price for the strategy with suspensions, and we will see if this approach has its rewards, come the end of the season.

What’s threats do Blackburn pose and from whom?

Watch out for them crunching leg-breaking tackles from all over the pitch!

What kind of team and formation should we expect on Saturday after losing to Bolton?

No change. 4-5-1, with Bent back in instead of Boothroyd as long as he is fit.

After Blackburn doing well at Chelsea coming from 2-0 to get two goals against the champions, and Charlton on a "dodgey" run of form, how do you think the match will play out and what’s your predictions?

It will be a tight match, but Charlton will come out on top, our away form is incredible (100% so far). 2-0 to Charlton.

Thanks for the answers!

The last game between Blackburn and Charlton saw Rovers winning 1-0, at a time when Graeme Souness’ reign as manager was still looming over the club. The win wasn’t convincing. However, under Mark Hughes, the side is evidently revitalised. The Chelsea game convinced many supporters that, if more quality in attack is provided, Blackburn can certainly compete for the European places which I feel are out of reach at the minute.

Charlton have always been a side which seem to always get points at our expense. They beat us 1-0 last season at the Valley, and the year before, cruelly scored in stoppage time after Brad Friedal had scored from a corner. If I remember rightly too, they beat us 1-0 at home also that season.

I feel Mark Hughes will adopt the 4-4-2 system that has been used in recent games, and will field the same side that lost 4-2 to Chelsea.

Friedal

Neill Khizanishvili Todd © Gray

Emerton Tugay Savage Pedersen

Bellamy Kuqi

With Charlton wanting to maintain their winning streak in away games, and Blackburn’s home record being somewhat good, it will be a good encounter. Blackburn is without the injured Nelsen to date, and Charlton should have striker Darren Bent back as he missed the Bolton game with injury.

Well, if Danny Murphy is on top of his game with precise passes and Darren Bent continuing the form he is on, it will be difficult, however, I expect Todd and Khizanishvili to cope. Charlton will likely adopt the 4-5-1 system and feel that the game will be won in midfield.

The current Odds from Oddchecker are as follows:

Blackburn 7/5

Draw 9/4

Charlton 15/8

If Pedersen and Emerton are brought into the game and give Bellamy the service he needs, like it showed against Chelsea, goals will come. I feel that Blackburn will win quite comfortably surrounding the hype however, as we have a tendency to do that sort of thing – although me saying that will probably go against us!

Final score – 2 -0 rover.gif

Thanks for reading! rover.gif

Edited by Liam0001

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

357711[/snapback]

sad.gifmad.gif

Nice preview Liam. I'm looking forward to this game. Charlton started this season very well, but I think we're about equal on paper. If Bellamy plays, which he should do I will be confident that we can beat them comfortably 2-0.

Edited by cn174

What is the Charlton’s fans view on Blackburn this season and do they think that they warrant the "bully-boy label?"

Blackburn is the most undisciplined team in the league, proved by the statistics. They will pay the price for the strategy with suspensions, and we will see if this approach has its rewards, come the end of the season.

Arsehole.

Come on Rovers!

I quite fancy us for this one. In bellamy we are likely to have the best player on the pitch.

I am looking for a good performance from the wingers, and Kuqi to get more involved with the ball at feet. Apart from that everybody has been at least decent recently so I suppose thats why I am quite confident!

(ps. I would like to see Bentley given a shot in the middle, up front or in midfield, but I guess that is only going to happen if we are winning by a bit of a margin)

I saw you asking the questions on the Charltonmad website, and wondered if you were gonna use it in the preview! 'Help needed ASAP'-oops somone left the preview a bit late biggrin.gif

Anyway, i think that this is a good oportunity for us to bounce back after the Chelsea game. Yes Charlton are superb on their travels, but its always the kinda game where you think that Rovers can get 3 points. Charlton will be roared on by the huge 350 travelling support, but i think we will win this game 2-1. I expect the exact same team and formation as the game against Chelsea. We've had 5 wins in 7 games of which the 2 defeats were at SB and Anfield, id say we're doing ok at the mo.

Rovers 2-1 Charlton

Emerton Thomas

Bellers

Gosh, do Charlton supporters always believe everything Mourinho and Wenger tell them? Don't they have eyes, ears and opinions of their own?

Real benchmark game for Rovers- in many ways Charlton are achieving what Rovers hope to achieve:

Unsung club developing its crowds and support base

Excellent midfield supplying high quality balls into a fast breaking dangerous striker.

It will be interesting to see how they make 4-5-1 work for them when we have failed to do so this season. I suspect that the difference is between the all round footballing quality of their wide men compared with the contributions of MGP and Emerton. They genuinely become 4-3-3 when breaking whereas we become 4-?-? and the 1 gets out-numbered dealing with a ball delivered at his throat if he's lucky.

So lot's of man-for-man comparisons on show; Bellamy and Bent, Murphy and Tugay being two outstanding examples.

Very hard to call this one. Charlton to win if Todd rather than Nelsen is facing Bent. A draw otherwise, perhaps high scoring.

Going for 2-2.

Do think that ourselves and Charlton are quite similar, especially with what Philipl says. Although with the current form of both clubs more in our favour, and if we can keep it consistent, then I don't see why we can't come away with maximum points.

I think you are somewhat right about the widemen philip, but dennis Rommedahl is known for his inability to cross a ball. In Denmark we have a term for an extremely wayward cross - a rommedahl. Hes pace though is phenomenal and will cause prblems if he gets the the ball played in behind our back four - but we can pretty much count on him missing 75% of his crossing opportunities....

So compared to emo I dont know actually. For me its hard to call as emo has that extra physical dimension compared to Rommedahl which gives us an advantage defensively.

Yawwwnnnnnnnuser posted image.....gets a little bit f'kin boring doesn't it!!! mad.gif

Chartlon will be a tough nut to crack but with Bellamy looking dangerous and a good spirit throughout the team I have a feeling......

Rovers 1 Addicks 0 Bellamy

Att: 19,600

357711[/snapback]

Interestingly enough take away Mike Riley's inept performance on Saturday and we have the SAME number of Yellow Cards

sticking with the 2-0 winning home run.

Everyone mentions Bent, however, he may not be even fit to play.

I would imagine Rovers will counter the threat of murphy, take him out and thats the playmaker out of the game. Every play goes through him with the added speed of Denis, who I think will not like it one bit at Ewood.

Cant see more than 300 charlton fans

crowd lucky to break 19000 sad.gif

That's about 450 more than they usually bring, they win 5 away games on the trot and they are all jumping on the bandwagon!

358049[/snapback]

Well if Rovers can make this game their 5th home win on the trot, maybe some more will jump on the Rovers bandwagon wink.gif

Posted by Exiled in Toronto in Carling Cup topic

cut and pasted here

In the absence of a Charlton match thread, I'll put this here - mods feel free to move.

I for one do not see Charlton (league home game) as a walk in the park. They are a good team and have finished significantly above us the last two seasons, and are off to a flyer away from home so far.

It galls me to see them doing better than us as during the 2nd division days I always saw them as London's equivalent of us. Some great days in the past, but not having the fan base or the infrastructure to ever rise again. Of course things got a lot worse for them just as Jack was changing our history. While we were winning the league, they didn't even have a ground or many fans and seemed down and out.

Without a Jack figure, they have pulled themselves up by their bootstraps, got a good tidy ground, a good manager, some excellent young players coming through, and have spent quite wisely. So while many on this board think that we are punching over our weight, thanking heavens that our faceless owners add another 10% to the income line, I personally don't see why we can't do what Charlton have done and compete at this level without being seen as a chartity case. Jack left us a terrific infrastructure, we just need an abitious but still prudent ownership.

Anyway, I digress:

2-2 (Bellamy-2; Hales, Bartram) 17,231

I think he meant 500th ticket this season.

358083[/snapback]

laugh.gif

They normally bring about 250/300 on a good day! The story behind Charltons away support is a sad one, involving Crystal Palace, a poor local council and a derelict Valley.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.