SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton V Blackburn R

Guest Vinjay

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant even recall the last time we came back from a goal down to win, let along two!

364175[/snapback]

I think the last game we won with one goal down first should be the away game against leeds utd in 02/03 season. we won at 3-2 with an early goal from Viduka. Perhaps the away game at St Mary's Stadium in 01/02 season was the only 2-1 bounced back after we back to the Premiership. Paul Hignett scored the late goal and earned us 3 points. I can't recall any game we won with 2 goals down first.

Fantastic result. The first half was very poor. We seemed to have more about us, but we just kept giving the ball away. Gray was particularly bad, he just seemed to either pass to the wrong side or just hoofed it out of play. At HT I was preparing myself for another drab 45 mins of footie, and I was nearly right...

The two subs that Hughes made were inspirational. Kuqi scoring after just being on the pitch for 2 mins - good pass from Bellemy(?), and then a wonder goal from Thomo. (How good was that goal? - just seen it on TV this morning and it's a screamer!). At this point I deffo thought that Extra time was on the cards. Wrong again. I think one of the Charlton defenders was trying to pass the ball back to their keeper, we intercepted it, MGP passed to Bentley who scored and then jumped into the crowd! Magic! One of the best games I've been to in a long time - simply for that last 15 mins.

Just hope we don't get drawn against Arsenal at Highbury for the next round.

Also, I can`t help notice how much quicker the news reports are update on this site when we win!

After Saturdays defeat, the report took about 3 days to go up, whilst last nights shenanigans was up within minutes! With a half time/full time breakdown!

laugh.gif

someone always seem to know where to get video clips of the goals. Any suggestions please??!!!

I need to see Thommos goal.

Did kugi do the dive?

tinykit.gif  rover.gif

364203[/snapback]

Seen Thommos goal on SSN this morning. Not a bad cracker from outside box.

Did kugi do the dive?

364203[/snapback]

No he didn't do the dive, just to annoy my 3 year old daughter who was looking forward to seeing it again when I told her this morning that he'd scored. I did try explaining to her that Kuqi was doing the right thing by picking the ball out of the net and running with it back to the centre spot as we were still losing. She really wasn't interested. A fickle fan.

What a great result! I'd taken several sleeping pills and drunk 3 bottles of brandy shortly after we went 2-0 down. Fortunately my wife found me on 90 minutes. How we laughed at the hospital when I was having my stomach pumped. 3-2! It's a funny old game.

The press seems to be focussing on Charlton's woes rather than the Rovers' achievement - so when did they become more interesting than us?

364178[/snapback]

Well, Charlton are a London team after all rolleyes.giftongue.gif

A good result despite the worrying factor having to come back from 0-2 down. Does make me wonder that under ol' Souey we probably would've rolled over and given up. Not under Hughes it would seem, a change of tactics, introducing what now seems like key players and an improved team spirit/morale all combine to make it one heck of a final few minutes.

rover.gif

F****** great, about time we came from behind and won a match. Thompson i think he may just be back, and wasn't he bak with a bang, got to be goal of the round even though there were some good goals last night. Savage is still a waste of space though and can be blamed for at least one of their goals.

rover.gif listened to the game on the radio at work,gally said at one point we were walking round unintrested 2-0 down,then the commatator had a go at savage who was promptly subbed.from then on the game changed and the introduction off KUQI finally started the comeback.

point is will sparky start on saturday with savage,his talisman or will he be brave enough to drop him tinykit.gif

Great time last night; still hoarse after all that singing, pity so many Rovers fans were chucked out and missed most of the game.

Travelled down on flight sat next to David Moyes who was checking Rovers out prior to Saturday...said he was very impressed with Rovers recently (obviously didn't see the Citeh away game). He refused to join up for BRISA!!

Great time last night; still hoarse after all that singing, pity so many Rovers fans were chucked out and missed most of the game.

Travelled down on flight sat next to David Moyes who was checking Rovers out prior to Saturday...said he was very impressed with Rovers recently (obviously didn't see the Citeh away game).  He refused to join up for BRISA!!

364215[/snapback]

As far as the Rovers fans being chucked out,its easy for the stewards to pick on 50 Rovers fans refusing to sit down.Imagine them adopting the same heavy handed attitude towards 5,000 standing Mancs or Scousers,they just would'nt go near.

rover.gif listened to the game on the radio at work,gally said at one point we were walking round unintrested 2-0 down,then the commatator had a go at savage who was promptly subbed.from then on the game changed and the introduction off KUQI finally started the comeback.

point is will sparky start on saturday with savage,his talisman or will he be brave enough to drop him tinykit.gif

364210[/snapback]

I don't think Savage was having a bad game, he wasn't the reason we weren't playing well. The introduction of Kuqi was vital and from that point on we suddenly had the cutting edge about us. Before then we just seemed to keep the ball well in the middle and then simply not know where to go and it would be played back and forth between the defense and midfield.

Friedel - Had little to do apart from concede two silly goals

Zurab - I think it was him who messed up for 2nd goal.... BADLY

Gray - Utter garbage... had rings run around him and kicked the ball into the stand approximately 300 times (just in the 1st half). Must have been training with Matteo.

Nelsen - Solid, won good headers in both areas

Todd - Not the player he was but still fairly solid.

Emerton - Back to his old ways - Shockin and totally ineffective.

Savage - Headless chicken / much ado about nothin.

Reid - Solid; put in some good passes and was creator of several runs forward and the start of a superb turnaround

Bellamy - Caused Charlton problems all night with his pace

Bentley - Rubbish til he scored

Thompson - Thommo back for good? Looked lively and scored a pearler!

Kuqi - A real handful and never gave Chartlon a moments rest. Big lad! Changed the face of the game

COME ON YOU BLUEEEESSSS rover.giftinykit.gifsmile.gif

user posted image

As far as the Rovers fans being chucked out,its easy for the stewards to pick on 50 Rovers fans refusing to sit down.Imagine them adopting the same heavy handed attitude towards 5,000 standing Mancs or Scousers,they just would'nt go near.

364217[/snapback]

funnily enough they didnt pick on me that much, they just asked me to sit down, and when i ignored them they just walked away tinykit.gif

that was one of the greatest nights for a long long while

2-0 down, and i was thinking, this has been the shittest day this year

3-2 wahey loving it

savage was CRAP, very dissapointed

Thommo came on and played good like he did v arsenal.

All goals were well taken by us.

And a top top atmosphere

i think we felt the anger from the stewards from what happened with the usa fans

Edited by slater_scott

What a brilliant result!! Seeing that fantastic strike by Thommo last night invoked memories of my own playing days…

…It was a cold, winter night on Edisford playing fields in about 1986 and, in a typically defensive game, the scoreline was delicately poised at Hillard’s Supermarket 6 - Booths Supermarket 6, when a mis-kicked goal clearance landed at my feet 30 yards from goal. Without so much as a moment’s hesitation, I mis-controlled it into the path of the advancing centre-forward who lashed it into top corner for the winner.

I still blame the ‘keeper for that defeat... …and for getting me dunked head-first into Hillard’s ice-cream freezer the next day.

Savage - Headless chicken / much ado about nothin.

Reid - Solid; put in some good passes and was creator of several runs forward and the start of a superb turnaround

364221[/snapback]

See that's the thing, I thought Savage was much better than Reid while he was on the pitch and in fact felt Reid was one of the main reasons why we seemed to just get stuck in midfield. Reid's performance began to pick up as the team started to get forward, making his job easier and making him look better, Savage would have done the same had he been on the pitch at the time. I don't think any player on the pitch could be particularly proud of their performance up until the 70/75 minute, from that point on I can't really complain about any of them, apart from Gray, who simply had a shocker.

Tough it was a Carling Cup 4th round game, as that 3rd goal went in I lost it more than I have done for a long time, as did Stuwiliky as he came bounding down 4 rows of seats to me!

We were out of the game completely at 2-0 until a Hughes masterstroke with the subs came along. Brilliant comeback and a brilliant atmosphere. Just brilliant.

I didn't go to this because I had to take some boring people at work out to dinner.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

Don't know whether to laugh or cry. Great result though.

Mind you, reading this thread is a good substitute!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.