BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Carling Cup Semi Final Draw Already Made

Point 1. My new luckey mascot (Abbey) seems to think this is bad

Point 2. Sod em. We are in the semies

Point 3. We are rovers we are rovers COCKER is our king (or so I have been shouting to Liverpool fans tonight.

Point 3. Man U - Arsenal or Wigan - no one really wanted the first two but sod everyone, Rovers v Wigan in the final and sod the big teams (Rovers take the cup home)

At the end of the day (pardon the pun) but WE are AGAIN in the semis and WE are ace.

For those that doubted us (you know who you are read through the boro v rovers thread) hang your head in shame

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG IN STICKING UP FOR YOUR TEAM ESPECIALLY WHEN WE HAVE SOD ALL TO LOSE.

Be proud and strut around in your rovers shirt cos you dont give a fook what anyone thinks - thats my motto anyway - sod Arte et Labore - stick that on the shirt

Rant Over

(Pisssed Cocker)

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a 1 in 3 chance that Man Utd would draw Arsenal.

In other words, probability suggested they would avoid each other.

Still...don't let statistics get in the way of another 'everyone hates Rovers/little clubs' feeling sorry for ourselves type discussion.

368349[/snapback]

Normally I'd agree, but to have a draw without naming the numbers of the teams beforehand (especially when there are only 4 teams left) is at best a mistake, and at worst a complete fix.

As others have mentioned, the numbers didn't seem to correspond to anything - not alphabetical order, not the order the teams qualified - it was all very strange and very suspicious.

I'm quite looking forward to a Rovers v Athletic final. Hopefully at The Theatre Of Merchandising.

Wigan can beat Arsenal OK; admittedly we will have our work cut out to beat the Scum over two legs, but it's do-able. Difficult but acheivable.

Now then. If you are a nefarious FA executive fixing a cup draw to maximise TV audences. Do you draw The Scum v The Arse over a two-legged semi final or keep them apart for the one game final. The plot thickens......

Now then. If you are a nefarious FA executive fixing a cup draw to maximise TV audences.  Do you draw The Scum v The Arse over a two-legged semi final or keep them apart for the one game final. The plot thickens......

368357[/snapback]

You keep them apart to ensure 4 decent TV audiences for the semis, hopefully a Man U v Arse final that should guarantee a full house at Cardiff and another large TV audience, rather than two good and two bad semi TV figures and a possibly poorly attended and watched) final.

It's a fix and I'm drunk. We knew it was going to be a fix from day one. The FA don't want us and wigan in the final for one minut4e. I've had fun i'be drunk lots adn its all good. I still think we can win this but must admit it s all a bit suss

Statisitcally it was most likely we'd draw Utd or Arse, but we cant't forget this is not the first time it has happened.

Im one of many in a line of drunk people posting, sounds like a good night for the boys. Let's hope we're all ther on boxing day for another win at the Riverside.

It will depend on 3 things with the emphasis on the first.

1. Bellamy being fit and on form.

2. United lining up their "kids".

3. Us strengthening in January.

Freaking fix though. Everybody knew that theyd keep those two apart. Cause who would want to give the people a Blackburn v Arsenal final or a Wigan v United final for instance. Plus the home leg thing.

Hopefully it will backfire on them!

It will be very difficult. Cant see it right now, especially as this cup may be the only inkling of success for either of those two sides this season.

Edited by Bobby G

Normally I'd agree, but to have a draw without naming the numbers of the teams beforehand (especially when there are only 4 teams left) is at best a mistake, and at worst a complete fix.

368356[/snapback]

Not naming them is strange, I agree, but the whole thing seemed a bit rushed at the end, probably because of Doncaster and Arsenal running into a penalty shoot-out.

The theory on the allocations seems to be:

Tuesday's games:

1. Man Utd

2. Wigan

Wednesday's games:

3. Arsenal

4. Rovers

Either us or Wigan would complain if they had suspicions that the draw was fixed, but I am 99% certain that we would have known our number before they did the draw, they just forgot to tell the viewers because of the over-running schedule.

at my most imaginative, i can only assume that the numbers correspond to the ties themselves, not the order of qualification. hence 1.) manure 2.) wigan 3.) arsenal 4.) us, since that was the order the ties were played. I'm not trying to absolve the FA of blame, but even if the numbers were in alphabetical order, we'd still be playing man u as we'd be 2.) vs 3.) manure.

in any case, tough luck on us that manure and le ars(e) are taking this cup fairly seriously this season. i'd have preferred arsenal due to them still being in the champions league and might still put out a weakened side. but manure isnt going to take this lightly, mark my words.

Presumably Mancs get all the Darwen End. So if we sell the 23,000 in the rest of the Ground, its a 31,000 capacity sell out.

One very simple marketing tool for the Rovers- if we (IF) get to Cardiff, the club will give priority to people with stubs from the semi-final.

So, Season ticket holders with semi-final stubs can by two final tickets, those without can buy one, open sale for semi-final stub holders two days before completely open sale etc.

Incidentally, I won't be betting against Wigan knocking out Arsenal- with Arsenal likely to be making FA Cup progress, in urgent need of getting into the Prem top four and Real Madrid just around the corner, Wenger is already indicating he will stick with the kids.

Obviously a bllody fix!

BUT......MU away second leg?! At least we should be spared the expense of another farcical trip to Cardiff. 'dirty nowvenors who cant fill their end' The club probably couldn't stand another such dose of bad PR anyway.

Just imagine how many tickets would be sold this time in our end should we have to face the Arse again?

If however, and taking bent draws/ refs and agenda'd press and media aside, Wigan and ourselves prevailed it'd be a great weekend but one that could easily be held in Manchester.

Edited by Yorick

Sod that, why should the stayaways get tickets to the final just for attending ONE game? A very attractive game too!

Final tickets should go season ticket holders and those who went to the Huddersfield and Leeds games at Ewood... Also those who made the long journeys on cold nights to London and Middlesbrough!!

Sod the bandwagon joiners who fancy a home semi final vs the biggest name in world football!

As has been pointed out there was a 1 in 3 chance it was going to be Wigan. 1 in 3 it was Man U an all. I'd hardly say it was a fix - although we all know that Sky are delighted that "the so called big two have been kept apart" (their words). Would Wigan and Arsenal have been any easier? Arguably we'd have preferred Wigan but it would still be tough, no guarantee.

So we play them at home first. Good. 2003 , League Cup Semis, Away at The Theatre of @#/? first leg - 1-1. Then they came to Ewood and did us 3-1. I'd suggest we have more chance of keeping their fans quiet at their own place. Get a slight advantage at Ewood, stop them from scoring if possible, away goals count double, and then get down there and stuff it up 'em!

...and your suggestion for making sure we sell 23,000 tickets for a game which will be televised live on a Wednesday evening is?

368397[/snapback]

I'd rather we sold 17-19000 and the majority of loyal fans weren't screwed over.

Would you be happy if you missed out on the final if you attended week in week out but some part timer who turns up for one game gets a ticket?

Didn't think so. Your suggestion just doesn't rub.

If we can't sell out a semi final vs Man Utd then something is wrong. That something? The fans. If they don't wanna support the team in the biggest game of the season, sod em. I'll be in my usual seat, as will many others, and it's us that should reap the benefits.

Stop and think:

1) Is the experience of going to Rovers games going to be better if we recover getting 23,000 home supporters or continue sliding down to 17,000?

2) Will the loyal supporters who went to Boro and/or Charlton boycott the Man U home semi-final? As you said yourself, you will be in your usual seat for the game so you would benefit from the idea either if you hold a season ticket or if you don't but in different ways.

3) Does my suggestion unduly disadvantage people who don't go to the Man U semi-final at home?

Edited by philipl

3) Does my suggestion unduly disadvantage people who don't go to the Man U semi-final at home?

368407[/snapback]

Yes.

If you're not a season ticket holder, despite the fact you might have gone to all the previous rounds and/or the majority of league matches, if you can't go to the semi, you're below those who might make the semi as their only match of the season to date.

Interestingly, Huddersfield Town are coming in for stick for the away clash in the FA Cup at Chelsea as they sold their 6,000 allocation in under 7 hours and a lot of fans who attended previous rounds etc didn't get one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.