BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brett Emerton

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is Joey pound for pound I bet that Bret is one of our fastest players. The damn bloke just never blimmin shows it!!

382002[/snapback]

Watch him play:

Runs fast/dribbles slow.

Why? It appears he likes to have the ball under close control (which to be fair he does, he keeps it tidily). But so much of the time he would be better getting it out from under his feet and running full tilt. However he doesn't do it for reasons unknown to me and eventually plays it square or backwards.

Everytime he keeps the ball close and looks to come inside... drives me insane.

I'm not so sure we'll sell him, especially as we don't really have another out and out right midfielder. Bentley plays in the hole, Reid is better in centre mid and Tommo has now got the boot. All of which makes me think that he'll stay on.

A big factor might be the emergence of Peter as Emerton until then was the only other feasible cover for MGP and the left midfield job. Even so I'm not convinced Hughes will want to get rid of him, especially as a fair few others will be going out in the summer and there's only so many signings that are available and/or that Hughes can make. I don't think he'd be offered a new contract though.

Emerton was absolutely dreadful when he came on in Saturday’s game. He never beat his man once and his crossing was rubbish - either he hit the 1st man or over hit them. Another thing I noticed was that every time he was in space and players were looking to pass to him he kept putting his hand up indicating that he didn't want the ball. This is not good enough, he needs to stand up and be counted. He exhibits all the signs of a player lacking in confidence and when Hughes was appointed I was hopeful he would be able to get the best out of him. Its 18 months since he took charge and there has been no improvement. Its time to cut our losses.

I still think, it would depend on any offers that may (or may not) come in after the World Cup. If he plays a blinder over in that then that could decide things (as I guess it would if any offers come in for Neill too), especially as I agree, it may be that case that he's been benched too many times and too often for it be a "gee up" ploy.

Still, for the price we paid for him, I'm sure we'd make a tidy profit on his sale.

It's what everyone here has been saying that it's an awful shame that Emerton had shown so much potential and was rated as one of the best players in Europe at a stage. However, i have watched him a few times this season and seemed to be severly lacking in confidence and basically could do very little right to help the team. It was only this time last year that rumours were having it that Souey was looking to take him to Newcastle on the back of a few decent erformances, but he was never interested in that move.

At the FANTASTIC 4-3 VICTORY over the Mancs he was a real lift when he came on as sub after half-time. When i heard he was replacing Tugay i told my mate (who was over for the 1st time) that since Tugay was booked it was common sense, but watch how this man lacks confidence and gives the ball away too easily!!! How wrong was i??? Totally and infact my mate was thinking that i know feck all about football, lol.

When he set up the chance that Kuqi put wide, that was him at his best. He linked up well and we all want to see more off him. Give him his chances towards the end of the season and i think this man will come good. I know patience is running out and I believe that Wolves won't be the only cracking game we will see him play for Rovers!!

i would really like emerton to start against everton.

his last few apps he has played some good football and i feel he deserves his chance.

after seing valente(sp), a champions league winner play against chelski, even i would fancy my chances on the right wing against him.

the guy is slow, tackling just isn't in his i.q and he could have even been sent off for just being plain crap. laugh.gif

emerton is starting to put in 110%, as before he was always in the first 11 and maybe just going through the motions, recently though he has been dropped to the bench and realised he isn't an automatic pick and he has to fight for his place.

with australlia in the world cup, he needs to preform at club level to make the national side imo so hopefully he will be on fire this weekend. rover.gif

Will Gus Hiddink pick Emerton in his first team for Australia if Emerton is playing first team football for Rovers though?
He will probably get a first team place regardless. I think Hiddink likes him because Emerton has experienced the Dutch game and knows how to play to his tactics. Plus Hiddink likes "modern players" (versatile players) and Emerton fits that description, being able to play on both sides of the field in a variety of position, and even the middle.

Or is no one to challenge Emertons place in the national squad?
There are challengers to his spot, but Emerton has played in all positions in midfield under Hiddink (left, right, and middle), and done solid jobs in all (without being spectacular), so it's hard to pinpoint exactly who is directly challenging him. All midfielders and full backs are in competition with him.

But he that doesn't mean Emerton will be left in the lurch. I rate him a 90% chance for a first team spot. If he was playing regularly, I would list that as 99%.

Does anyone know if theres any clips online of Emertons performances for Feyenoord to show us why he was rated a 8million player once?

I for one would love to see what exactly he at feyenoord to warrant such a huge interest in him.

384469[/snapback]

It's not tough to imagine really. He played wingback at Feyenoord and impressed in a highly technical league. You can understand why if you take a look at Burt - to sum it up he's an excellent athlete who has been well coached on the technical side of the game. His ball skills can be exemplerary, especially his close control, and his defending is effective and efficient (any time he has been around the right back spot he has more than done his job). In the role of a wing back, whereby he has the job of defending the opposition's left flank, and provide overlapping runs to whip in a cross, I'm positive he'd shine. If you remember he was an absolute machine before Deano and Souness' school of coaching got ahold of him, clearly that was a result of flying up and down Feyenoord's right flank all season. When you factor in his relative youth (23 at the time we signed him was he?) then you've got a highly rated player.

Now the problem is when you place him on the right of midfield and ask him to do the job of a winger. Whilst being excellently coached in the technical side of the game, mentally he is lacking as a footballer. Often he seems confused as to what to do with the ball, resulting in his delay and the breakdown of the attack, or at least the disruption of its flow - those passes back inside must be spirit breaking for his team mates I'm sure. He is also a confidence player, who can be exceptional if he believes in himself. There are games during his time here when he has beaten the fullback early on in the contest and had a terrific game as a result. If he doesn't feel he has the pace or skill to get past said defender he tends to dissapear in games. What I fail to comprehend is his lack of confidence, especially as (I assume) the coaching staff builds this up prior to kick off. He has all the talent in the world, but lacks the confidence and the footballing nouse to adapt and be successful if plan A fails.

Thus endeth the lesson tongue.gif

Edited by Exiled_Rover

Thus endeth the lesson  tongue.gif

384477[/snapback]

Not much to disagree with there ER. Think his absence last night is pretty conclusive he'll be on his way in the summer. I'd be reasonably happy to get anywhere near £1m for him. Thing is, Capt K and myself are going to have to find someone else to have a moan about - still Pongolle is coming up on the rails wink.gif .

Id rather have reid in the team that Emerton because Reid gets stuck in!

I still think Emerton will have a big part to play at rovers, however i think he needs to put more effort in, when he actually gets his chance.

We have seen glimpses of his talent but he isnt consistent enough.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.