SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle United 0 Blackburn Rovers 1

Eddie

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst being a huge fan of mark Hughes and his modern style approach to fitness and team preparation and acknowledging Souness is behind the times with this.

we shouldn't forget that Hughes wouldn't be having the success he is enjoying was it not for a succession of wonderful signings made by GS

Friedel, Neill, Todd, Gray, Tugay, Pederson, Reid, Dickov are all crucial to Hughes success and were picked up for a combined figure of less than £6 million.

Not many managers could achieve such success in the transfer market so I'd think a little before launching into a scathing attack on the man who re-established us a Premiership club.

Whilst being a huge fan of mark Hughes and his modern style approach to fitness and team preparation and acknowledging Souness is behind the times with this.

we shouldn't forget that Hughes wouldn't be having the success he is enjoying was it not for a succession of wonderful signings made by GS

Friedel, Neill, Todd, Gray, Tugay, Pederson, Reid, Dickov are all crucial to Hughes success and were picked up for a combined figure of less than £6 million.

Not many managers could achieve such success in the transfer market so I'd think a little before launching into a scathing attack on the man who re-established us a Premiership club.

377168[/snapback]

Good shout, though would we be calling them ''wonderful signings'' had Souness had stayed?

Considering I think we'd currently be in the Championship, I think not.

However I suspect that £5m will make up for the fact that he's an abject failure.  It's not as if he cares about Newcastle any more than he ever did for us!

376999[/snapback]

Are you referring to Rovers or Celtic now?

Edited by Rovermatt

Coming back to the goal - just one aspect that nobody appears to have picked up upon and worth considering and that's the Ref's decision and IMO my reasoning for justifying why I think the goal was given. tongue.gifthumbs-up.gif

As we all know the Norwegian is quite adept at heading a ball and in most circumstances would probably have met it fair and square on his bonce, however Bowyers foot was at head level when 'the hand of Ped' intervened which I feel MGP was aware of hence the reaction. Normally though in circumstances the Ref would have blown for high kicking yet there was nothing for this - if he had blown his whistle what decision would he have given? Penalty?(yes) freekick - where from as it would have been direct and on the line?

Or then again he could have just missed it ....... what a shame tinykit.giftinykit.gif

377168[/snapback]

As Shillito quite rightly says, there are some good points you make there Brownie. However I feel that all those players you have mentioned have made great strides forward under the Huges regime, especially regarding fittness levels. I don't think that they would have been in this situation had Souness stayed nor more to the point his backroom staff like Saunders etc.

The problems we had with players fittness are now echoed at St.James' Park, and the Toon Army are berrating Souness on this aspect along with him playing certain players out of position. Seem to have heard the same moans somewhere much closer to home before don't you think?

however Bowyers foot was at head level when 'the hand of Ped' intervened which I feel MGP was aware of hence the reaction. Normally though in circumstances the Ref would have blown for high kicking yet there was nothing for this -  if he had blown his whistle what decision would he have given? Penalty?(yes) freekick - where from as it would have been direct and on the line?

377195[/snapback]

Indirect free kick for dangerous play, taken 10 yards out from the goal line.

Edited by den

SSSSSHHHHHEEEEEFFFFKI- KU-KU-CHEE,

WILL YOU SCORE A GOAL FOR ME?,

SHEFKI - KU-KU-CHEE, WILL YOU SCORE A GOAL FOR ME?

WWWWWWWWWIIIIIIITTTTHHHHHHHHH YOUR LEFT, WITH YOUR RIGHT, WIH YOUR HEAD OR WITH YOUR KNEE,

SHEFKI - KU-KU-CHEE WILL YOU SCORE A GOAL FOR ME?

377168[/snapback]

Not a bad shout but then if you dip your hand in the barrel of apples often enough you're bound to get a few good ones on the law of averages!.

For the players you've mentioned above you've also got a succession of acquisitions ranging from the downright disastrous - Grabbi, Amoruso, De Pedro to players who haven't been a success Ferguson Emerton Yorke, Sukur, Yordi, Gresko, Matteo, Johansson to players who never figured Mahon, Yeldell, Greer and a player who turned out to have a serious medical condition - Thompson

At Newcastle few people would deny that Parker and Owen are good signings, (albeit players anyone would sign if they had the funding) but against that you've got Boumsong and Luque for 18m.

Hardly inspired management in either case.

Its always a delight to win away with a dodgy goal, perhaps it does even itself out after all. In my view any player would try and put the ball in the net and then leave it to the ref to decide if it was legal or not and thats what MGP did. Just like Maradona back in '86.

The talk in the Strawberry after the game was that Souness had to go and go now but maybe Newcastle can't afford to get rid and will maybe wait to the end of the season.

Mahon played quite a bit for us while on loan during the promotion campaign and was unlucky that he was here while Duff was. He has done quite well for Wigan this season.

Also think Amoruso is always given a lot more flack than he deserves. Not saying he is quality, but he was at times our best player.

I always thought he was considered the Beckham type of player to balance out the right side as Souey didn't think you could play with two wingers. I think Emerton has been hard done by and is actually a good player, for that amount he hasn't been that bad of a signing and I still think if he could just regularly produce the goods he'll turn into a good signing. He's certainly been more useful in recent times then he has previously.

I always thought he was considered the Beckham type of player to balance out the right side as Souey didn't think you could play with two wingers. I think Emerton has been hard done by and is actually a good player, for that amount he hasn't been that bad of a signing and I still think if he could just regularly produce the goods he'll turn into a good signing. He's certainly been more useful in recent times then he has previously.

377449[/snapback]

Considering Emerton is probably a high earner, I wonder if Rovers will consider offering him a new contract at any point this year, as next January he is free to talk to other clubs.

I can see him down the road at Bolton personally, as I'm unsure as to whether he warrants the outlay.

Saw MGP in Starbucks in Manchester yesterday.

Considered shaking him by the 'offending' hand but decided to leave him in piece.....

And before anyone asks - his bird (unfortunately) was not with him  biggrin.gif

377480[/snapback]

Anymore great stories? tongue.gif

Checked quickly, but couldn't find a reference in the thread....

I know MGPs goal was very similar to the Galagher goal (same end of the pitch and all)

But I've got this ManU supporter bugging me about that "sham of a goal", can anyone remind me of this match... didn't ManU score a similar dodgy goal for a winner against us very late in a match within the last year or so, anyone remember when, or what details I'm confusing, because I can't remember, but I'd like to give this guy some greif right back.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.