BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] More Madness From Mcclaren

Why does Mark Lawrenson always say ''I think WE'' this and ''WE'' that. The d*ck played for IRELAND!!! grrrrrr!!!

McLaren spent £59.5m with Boro. What did he win? 1 league cup! Proper international manager isnt he?

and his nugent comments and how he wanted nob end promoted as well ,i thought they were supposed to be neutral and why have hansen commenting he should concentrate on his own team england has nowt to do with him.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think that England has, grudgingly :P some very good individual players (and some average players that always get a game, no matter how badly they do at their clubs - but that's another matter) but for some reason, more than likely down to the management set up and certain egos, never seem to play well as a team.

It was said on SSN this morning that the Spanish players were encouraged to take things from the training ground and think things out on the field for themselves, whereas the English players seemed to prefer to be coached what to do rather than think for themselves to get them out of situations. This could explain why technically, England isn't as good as compared to other nations, despite what the media hype suggests, IMO.

You seriously overate Spain my friend, there results until they played us have been shocking. If we had a 100% starting XI with a Mourinho or Lippi in charge I would back us against most teams with the talent in our starting XI

Out of there Starting XI ,I would have Xavi, Ramos and Villa over England’s best XI and that’s it although if Fabregas would of played he would walk into any international side

It isnt that I overrate Spain - I just don't underrate them as much as you do. I think England would probably edge a 10 game series versus Spain, but they certainly are not that much signifcantly better to say they'd win 9 out of 10.

England have some average international players, like Crouch, Defoe, Carrick, Phil Neville, Dyer, Wright Phillips etc. It's very easy to blame the manager, and as far as McLaren goes I agree that he is feckless, but you have to ask yourself why so many England managers have failed. There must be one common denominator....

I'll just stick with my original thought. Under McClaren England will fail to qualify for the Euro's and the World Cup.

I also believe we will fail to qualify for the Euro's. When that happens though, McClaren will be sacked.

At least when Sven was in charge we won games

Maclaren makes Old Turnip Head look like Alf Ramsey for goodness sake! The gin and tonic brigade at Lancaster Gate have fcuked up big style yet again. Maclaren simply does not and obviously never has had nor ever will have the necessary abilities for the England post. His qualifications are not just unremarkable they are non existent! I would even suggest he will have very few fans amongst the Boro faithful.

I said on here when he was appointed that the press and media would treat him like a a lamb to the slaughter in quick time. Mark my words all the sh1t that he is lined up for will end up destroying him, and his new bird, and his estranged family. He needs to question whether his personal ego trip is worth it?

Lets hope somebody sets fire to his girlfriend in a chippy and he resigns ...... it really would be for his own good.

I also believe we will fail to qualify for the Euro's. When that happens though, McClaren will be sacked.

At least when Sven was in charge we won games

No, your thinking is flawed, the usual Engalnd sods law with dictate, we'll scab it through to the finals by some complete fluke of other results and we'll be stuck the lunatic, and the circus wheel re starts and ultimately we'll all end up being disappointed until the useless FA pick ANOTHER muppet!

It all boils down to those numpties at the FA. Their first choice as manager, Scolari was recognised as one of the worlds best coaches but also a bit of a maverick. They ( rather bravely) stuck their necks out to try and get their man but made a complete balls up of the appointment. So logically what is the next move? Seek out another world renowned coach? No, they ludicrously change tack completely and appoint an average coach but a so called safe bet because he's an insider. It's laughable and if England qualify for 2008 I'll be amazed.

I went to this game, my second ever England match, the previous one was a summer tournament at Elland Road. I decided Tom would enjoy it, got three tickets in the Family Area (NE Stand opposite corner to the tunnel). It was an interesting evening. Generally I don't really care what England do, a pretty average team with little to excite the uncommitted, if we're in a tournanment and doing OK I watch. I viewed all aroud me from a dispationate view.

Arrived at Pomona Way to park, as I always do for OT, and got charged a stunning £10 to park- it's usually £5 for Utd/Rovers. Now I've always wondered about the legality of charging the public to park on the public highway but decided against arguing the toss in view of the three very large men stood a few feet from the guy collecting the money. Settled for a few choice words in his direction.

The crowd was a real disappointment from the off. I understood watching England was a great experience, good atmosphere etc. etc. It was rubbish, the crowd was flatter than a pancake. Ewood last Saturday had more life. At the far end of the stadium was "the band". People complain about our drummer but never mention this bunch. They were awful, they've got one tune and when the band didn't play the bloody drummer just carried on bang, bang, bang - give me Billy and his mates any day. Lots of people started to leave with 10-12 minutes to go, why bother in the first place? Still it cleared the traffic early for theose who left later!

Half-time entertainment was a complete non event. Nothing at all. A big thank you to our sponsors etc and happy birthday to some kid whose Dad obviously new someone and that was it. Very poor, I expected more.

Old Trafford itself. I'm usually to involved in the game to look around but I've always had this feeling it's not all it's cracked up to be. The rows are very narrow, I'm short and my knees hit seat in front. The concourse facilities are very basic, nothing compared to Ewood. When we arrived the stewards were allowing people to stand on and around the steps which allow entrance to the seats. this nade it very difficult to access the seating through the very narrow entrance. As for the stadium? Well frankly it really isn't that good. The lower bowl looks good and if they'd stopped there it would be fine but then there are lots bits tacked on to cram in the Utd support. It looks what it is, a hotch potch of stands and designs tacked on to each other. What about a big screen? A replay of Spain's excellent goal would have been nice - I clapped, well for a moment till i realised I was getting attention. It's only a friendly?

The view is excellent and at £40 for three tickets represented real value.

England? I quite enjoyed myself, the game went quickly, nothing inspiring but I wasn't bored. In the second half the first time I noticed the clock there were 13 minutes left. Not an absorbing match but one that passed quickly. It was clear Spain have far better technique than any of the England players on view. You have to wonder how some England players even match the word international - we are simply not very good.

Anyway that was my night at OT. I won't be making my way to Wembley to watch England, done it now and won't bother again.

Ha Ha, yes they are a greasy version of England. They under perform all the time, but to make a statement that England would beat Spain 9/10 times is ridiculous. Those kinds of posts shown bias for all things 'pom' even when they are hardly justified.

Hang on...the England beating Spain nine times out of ten jibe was from bazzanotsogreat. I certainly wouldn't agree with that. In fact under Maclaren I'm not sure we would win one out of ten we have been so poor....

People probably think you are just England-bashing as it is obviously a favourite hobby of yours and you do it every few posts!

Anybody who has watched England in the past year or so should know that we are a poor side. That is the main thing...it's not about naming individual players or comparing right back to right back. It's how they play as a team the matters or, in the case of England, how they DON'T play as a team...

We won't qualify for Euro 2008 unless there is a huge, and unlikely it seems, improvement under Maclaren. Ridiculously the FA are still paying money out to Sven until next year I believe...

Edited by FourLaneBlue

England would be a much better side if more of their players went overseas to try their hand, Gerrard and Rooney would kill it in Spain and they would learn more about patient, creative football.

That is going to be even less likely in the future than it is now. Players don't want to take a wage cut to play abroad. When the likes of West Ham can seemingly pay as much in wages for a decent but unspectacular defender as Lucas Neill as, say, AC Milan and Barcelona (not that they were ever really after him anyway :lol:) then something is skewed...it will only become more pronounced with the TV deal next year.

The decision to play Lampard on the left yesterday was absolutely ludicrous. I'm not one to think that I know better than the manager usually but in this case everybody in the ground could see the enormous swathes of pitch dwon our left hand side. I'm not sure why SWP has got such a cussing, he was our best attacking option by a mile even if he sometimes messed things up.

McClaren is going to lose his job in record time unless he sorts things out, and if I was him I would do something a little radical and see if it works. Far more important than just putting the best players in the land out is constructing a team. THis is going to mean dropping the likes of Lampard to the bench despite his club excellence and including lesser player like Downing just so we have balance. The only alternative is to play 5 in midfield or Gerrard up front (which I think might actually work, albeit sort of wasting arguably our best player).

My first team would be, if everyone was fit:

-------------Crouch----Rooney--------

Downing--Hargreaves--Gerrard---J Cole

--A Cole------Terry---Ferdinand---G Neville

-----------------Robinson

Subs: James, Richards, Bridge, Carragher, Lennon, Lampard, Defoe

Those are good players, the team has balance, it would work if not be absolutely ideal, but of all our options I would say it is the best. And just stick to it, and make it absolutely clear to the players that if they do not put the work rate in they will be dropped. For every position bar left midfield and striker we have considerable strength in depth (we have about at least 6 high quality players at each of cm, cd, rm, 2 good left backs, 2 good rightbacks). Beat the players with that stick! Even the likes of Lampard.

Edited by joey_big_nose

I thought Carrick was terrible last night. He just stands there - and puts so many passes astray. He's no way an 18.6m player. Yes United are doing well with him in the side - but we've won impressively with The Axe playing.

18.6m??? I wouldn't give you £18 for him!!. the number of times he gave the ball away, and when he did have it going forward he either blasted high or wide, or passed to where there was no England player with a hope of collecting it. On last night's form he would not be good enough for a Pub team. And to think some of us on here moan about the Axe!!!

Edited by Fife Rover

The decision to play Lampard on the left yesterday was absolutely ludicrous. I'm not one to think that I know better than the manager usually but in this case everybody in the ground could see the enormous swathes of pitch dwon our left hand side. I'm not sure why SWP has got such a cussing, he was our best attacking option by a mile even if he sometimes messed things up.

McClaren is going to lose his job in record time unless he sorts things out, and if I was him I would do something a little radical and see if it works. Far more important than just putting the best players in the land out is constructing a team. THis is going to mean dropping the likes of Lampard to the bench despite his club excellence and including lesser player like Downing just so we have balance. The only alternative is to play 5 in midfield or Gerrard up front (which I think might actually work, albeit sort of wasting arguably our best player).

My first team would be, if everyone was fit:

-------------Crouch----Rooney--------

Downing--Hargreaves--Gerrard---J Cole

--A Cole------Terry---Ferdinand---G Neville

-----------------Robinson

Subs: James, Richards, Bridge, Carragher, Lennon, Lampard, Defoe

Those are good players, the team has balance, it would work if not be absolutely ideal, but of all our options I would say it is the best. And just stick to it, and make it absolutely clear to the players that if they do not put the work rate in they will be dropped. For every position bar left midfield and striker we have considerable strength in depth (we have about at least 6 high quality players at each of cm, cd, rm, 2 good left backs, 2 good rightbacks). Beat the players with that stick! Even the likes of Lampard.

Agree with a lot of what you say but I'd stick Cole on the left and Lennon on the right, and I'd play Owen instead of Crouch

Only watched the 2nd half, I know its bad to say but i was happy to see Spain score. Lost any feeling for the england team along time ago, the last team I relly got behind was the 00 Euro.

There is no excitement in their play at all, its so boring. Last night was pretty depressing, a stadium with 15,000 fans missing, and a team who couldn't even string a pass together at times. The players England have are good players, some exceptional (Rooney, Terry and Gerrard) so why can't they play like a decent team. Spain are a decent outfit and the game would be tough, a 2-3 loss with some great football would have been acceptable but the team had no life in it.

Maclaren is a good COACH but not a winner in anyway and you really need both qualities.

When I here him talk i just laugh how can he ever motivate someone.

Are we better off NOT qualifying?

That way, McLaren can be sacked and our hopes and expectations wont be DASHED yet again

What? And have a whole summer of being a neutral? No bleedin way!

We should drop fat Frank. While he can manage one good game in two for Chelsea, put him in an England shirt and he turns into a pub team player (even in his natural position). We've more problems than just Lampard, but that'd be my top priority.

Simon :brfc:

Edited by b12_simon

After we went a goal down last night, we showed no creativity or imagination whatsoever. Our sole tactic seemed to consist of lumping a long high ball up to Crouch in the hope he could get a flick on.

Only we were so poor, more often than not, we couldn't even direct the hoof forward in the general direction of Rodney's head.

I was left thinking, "Just what is the role of the supposed tactical genius that is Terry Venables in all this?" :huh:

The thing that worries me most is the fact that the players that were out there for England last night mostly play well for their clubs. Why don't they play well for England? The only answer I can see is ....McClaren!! Get rid of him NOW!

Edited by Fife Rover

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.