BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Burnley 2 Rovers 3

Chiswick_Col

I was a mere nipper at the time so apologies in advance for any inaccuracies, but here is how I remember this classic game.

27000 packed Turf Moor to watch Rovers, pushing for promotion under Jimmy Smith, against mid-table Burnley in the old Division 2 (now the Championship). I remember paying on the gate (or more specifically, my Dad paying!) and sitting right at the back of the Cricket Field stand behind the goal. There were plenty of Rovers in there.

The first half was extraordinary. We had the mercurial Dave 'Waggy' Wagstaffe on the left wing - the first man ever to be shown a red card in English League football playing for Rovers at Leyton Orient...for the benefit of our younger members, prior to the mid-70s, in the rare event of a sending off, the perpetrator was dispatched by the ref simply pointing to the tunnel - and the late, great Noel Brotherston on the right. They bagged one a piece, with Noel at his magical best, and Keith Fear, a small, bearded on-loan striker from Bristol City notched a third to see us go in 3-0 up at half time.

Added to the first half excitement was the sight of Burnley's danger man, Steve Kindon (affectionately known as the 14 stone runaway wardrobe) being stretchered off after a collision with our uncompromising centre half, John Waddington.

The second half began with the Claret tactics there for all to see - they had three men marking Noel from the restart! Sadly for them, the tactic didn't work too well and within five minutes they had conceded a penalty. Fear strode up to take it...and missed. And in that moment, the game started to turn. We came under more and more pressure and when our highly rated right back, Kevin Hird, had to go off, his place was taken by Glenn Keeley, a magnificent centre half but, God bless him, no full back. He was up against Tony Morley, later to leave Burnley and become a part of Aston Villa's 1980 Championship winning team (proper Championship!). Morley twisted and turned and created the pass to pull one back for the hosts. Then, with five minutes left, he bamboozled Killer Keeley and went down in the box - clearly a dive (!), but not how the ref saw it, and Peter Noble, he of the shiny bald pate, converted the penalty for 3-2. The last few minutes were desperate as we hung on for a famous victory.

Rovers ultimately finished 5th that season, having challenged well until the loss of Smith to the Big Club after Christmas. Right up there with us for most of the season were Blackpool. They thumped us 4-2 at Bloomfield Road around the beginning of February with their twin strikers Mickey Walsh and Bob Hatton doing the damage (Walsh was the leading scorer in Division 2 in 1977, Hatton in 1978). Then, quite bizarrely, they failed to win another game for the rest of the season and ended up being relegated on the last day of the season. They had 37 points (under the old two points for a win rule). The SEVEN teams above them had 38 and Rovers, in fifth place, had 45.

Quite a game, quite a season. And thanks for the memories, Noel. You were quite a player.

• Like 1

Good summary Col. Waggy scored after only a few minutes to set the tone - as I recall he took forever to actually put the ball in the net. Fear nipped in front of the keeper to toe-poke in a shot from Hird I think - there was a great picture in the LET of Stephenson down to scoop up Hird's shot while Fear had already scored and was wheeling away. The 3rd by Noel was pure magic - through on his own, walked it round Stephenson to create pandemonium in an overly packed Longside visitors section.

I got caught by a piece of brick on the back of the neck, my mate got a golf ball to the head - both going back with topspin - and a bloke in front of me crapped in his beer glass and lobbed that over.

The second half was made worse by what seemed like 17 minutes of added time with Bumley camped in our area.

Happy Days!

Edited by Exiled in Toronto

One of the earliest abusive chants from Rovers v Burnley games I recall was the suggestion that Steve Kindon's wife was rather promiscuous. Now the News of the World never got to the bottom of this allegation, nor the suggestion that the Welsh international Leighton James was a gay (or homosexual, in old money), or the truth behind whether Bob Lord, BFC's then chairman, was a sight to behold when he wore his butcher's hat back to front ..... thumbs-up.gif

Col,

I think the Blackpool game finished 5-2 to Blackpool, with Bob Hatton scoring 4 of the goals.

Hatton was prolific around that time and warned as rovers were, they still allowed him to bag four. dry.gif

384829[/snapback]

On reflection, I think you are right, Den. The 4-2 game was at Bolton who were promoted as Champions. I think we staged a brave comeback from 3-0 to 3-2 but conceded a fourth near the end.

One of the earliest abusive chants from Rovers v Burnley games I recall was the suggestion that Steve Kindon's wife was rather promiscuous. Now the News of the World never got to the bottom of this allegation, nor the suggestion that the Welsh international Leighton James was a gay (or homosexual, in old money), or the truth behind whether Bob Lord, BFC's then chairman, was a sight to behold when he wore his butcher's hat back to front ..... thumbs-up.gif

385050[/snapback]

It wasn't just the fact that Mrs Kindon was promiscuous but to cap it all she was actually reputed to be a lady of the night. I'm not sure if this is true or not but I have heard it from many sources. Kindon was 1 of the only Burnley players who I have ever quite liked. I think it was when Stuart Hall described him as a "motorised sideboard" once.

As for James, next time we play Wigan the Blackburn End should bring back the good old days by singing "Leighton Baines is a homesexual" for the whole game.

Good summary Col.  Waggy scored after only a few minutes to set the tone - as I recall he took forever to actually put the ball in the net.  Fear nipped in front of the keeper to toe-poke in a shot from Hird I think - there was a great picture in the LET of Stephenson down to scoop up Hird's shot while Fear had already scored and was wheeling away.  The 3rd by Noel was pure magic - through on his own, walked it round Stephenson to create pandemonium in an overly packed Longside visitors section.

I got caught by a piece of brick on the back of the neck, my mate got a golf ball to the head - both going back with topspin - and a bloke in front of me crapped in his beer glass and lobbed that over.

The second half was made worse by what seemed like 17 minutes of added time with Bumley camped in our area.

Happy Days!

385049[/snapback]

HAs to be my best ever Rovers day out. Started about 8ish in the morning and went till closing with a brief nap in between. Great day out and yes that added time seemed to last forever. I remember the golf balls flying too.

I’m sure we arrived at the ground not knowing we’d signed Keith Fear, due to the hols etc…..not like today, if you hadn’t seen an Evening Telegraph or your mates told you…you wouldn’t know

I remember it not being possible to go the toilets at the back of the Longside without putting your life in danger with rocks and half house bricks raining down especially during half time….

Dad and Uncle were on the is it……Beehole End? Open terrace behind the goal..the following day my dad said “that’s it I’m never going a derby game again, it was a nightmare…fights breaking out everywhere none stop for 2 hours” ah happy days.

The only thing I can clearly remember from that great day was Jim Smith coming out from the tunnel and having to walk diagonally across the pitch to get to the dug out.

He got a welcome from the crammed Rovers half of the Longsight like I've never seen before or since.

Oh and coming out of the ground some greasy long haired Burnley oik about 14 or 15 years old old waited until my dad got in the car and then tried to kick me in the wotsits. He caught me sideways on with his shin across the thigh and it didn't hurt at all. He scarpered. I'd just turned 14 at the time.

One of the best Rovers days ever.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

• 1 month later...

rover.gif i've posted this before over the years but this is class

THAT FAMOUS BOXING DAY.

I THOUGHT I HEARD THE CURIOUS TONE

OF THE BURNLEY FANS WHEN THEY START TO MOAN.

IT'S HARD TO SMILE WHEN YOUR'E THREE GOALS DOWN.

AND 'ROVERS' GIVING YOU THE RUN AROUND

SOMETIMES IT'S HARD TO WIN AWAY

BUT NOT AT BURNLEY ON A BOXING DAY

BUTCHER,HIRD,BAILEY AND THE REST

NEVER SEEMED TO BE HARD PRESSED,

WAGGY WALKED ON WATER,BROTHERSTON TOO,

STRONG MEN CRIED,AND I DID TOO,

ON THAT FAMOUS BOXING DAY. tinykit.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Waggy - my favourite all time rovers song this one.....on the famous boxing day !

Ozzie - also remember the other version :

Bob Lord was a butcher,

He made his own meat pies,

He ate one by mistake one day,

Thats how the bugger dies,

NA NA NA NA NA NA

Was in Cricket Field Stand this day and will never forget the fighting continuouly in the Bee Hole.

Remember Macky up the railings at the front with his Whitbreads BRFC flag. Happy Days.

• 3 months later...

Wellesbourne

Was in the cricket field stand too..

Brother had his scarf knicked outside the ground as a trap to entice us to chase some little runt, but there was a larger group around the corner..

Drive through Wellesbourne a few days a week on the A429

Cheers

• 5 months later...
Col,

I think the Blackpool game finished 5-2 to Blackpool, with Bob Hatton scoring 4 of the goals.

Hatton was prolific around that time and warned as rovers were, they still allowed him to bag four. <_<

Wasn't this the one where the highlghts where shown on the Sunday on Granada (when it used to be on) - then used in the opening highlights when the programme was on for other games?

The only thing I can clearly remember from that great day was Jim Smith coming out from the tunnel and having to walk diagonally across the pitch to get to the dug out.

He got a welcome from the crammed Rovers half of the Longsight like I've never seen before or since.

Oh and coming out of the ground some greasy long haired Burnley oik about 14 or 15 years old old waited until my dad got in the car and then tried to kick me in the wotsits. He caught me sideways on with his shin across the thigh and it didn't hurt at all. He scarpered. I'd just turned 14 at the time.

One of the best Rovers days ever.

this was the best ever day following following Rovers; forget Cardiff, forget the play offs versus leicester this was the one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.