BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers 1 Arsenal 0

percy

Can I just add a word of caution - remember Rovers 4 United 3 - and what followed.

Arsenal have been sussed this season - and we aren't the first team to beat them on their travels.

An excellent result - but just another 3 points. There is a long way to go - we need a huge slice of luck to get that 4th spot (or even UEFA) - both with injuries, referees and that rub of the green that makes so much difference.

But it is a nice change to actually start dreaming again - thank you Mark Hughes for bringing that back to Ewood. rover.gif

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we had 2 shots on target according to MOTD to Arsenals 3

the win almost makes up for the eggchasing result sad.gif

386585[/snapback]

Flopsy... you mean well... but why even mention the Rugby? Who cares man! We just beat Arsenal and are up to 5th tinykit.giftinykit.gifthumbs-up.gif

Flopsy... you mean well... but why even mention the Rugby? Who cares man! We just beat Arsenal and are up to 5th  tinykit.gif  tinykit.gif  thumbs-up.gif

386590[/snapback]

because we got well stuffed by the skirt wearers - ill never hear the end of it.

Oh well least we stuffed the Aussies in both egg chasing and cricket

and 3 Points Wohoo

Can I just add a word of caution - remember Rovers 4 United 3 - and what followed.

386587[/snapback]

Yes but, we were higher in the table than both West Brom and Everton and expected to take points of both. Plus, we've hopefully still got a healthy match fit Bellamy for Sunday.

after the recent arguments about one of our midfielders, today I went to the game and did a "TUGAY watch".

A very brief summary follows:

Tugay = enigma.

No doubting his pass and movement skills, he passed the ball around quite well and put in a few little tackles.

He did quite well in the first half but faded quick.

Downside. He nearly cost us a goal second before the half time whistle. In the second half he gave far too many passes away, committed himself to too many stupid tackles, gave several daft fouls away and generally, left his head in the changing room.

386498[/snapback]

Just accept you were wrong last time and get over it

Today showed we now have a spine in our team that we haven't had for many seasons.

Todd, Savage and Bellamy were outstanding.

Apologies for consecutive posts but I am she-ite faced.

Edited by mjs

Totally inept performance by Uriah Rennie, can someone explain to me why we were not given a penalty when Lehmann pushed Reid to the floor. Rennie booked Lehmann so he obviously saw the incident, a foul in the area is a penalty in my eyes even if the game has been stopped.  If we were about to take a free kick and a defender blatantly pushed our striker to the floor then a penalty has to be awarded . Why not in this case?

386554[/snapback]

he gave a free kick to Arse before didn't he?

Few random thoughts from a frequent reader, but infrequent poster:

- Absolutely delighted to be fifth. We've won some games we probably shouldn't have, and also lost some of the same. The bottom line though is we're currently sitting in the top 5, and I don't know how we could have asked for more from Mark Hughes considering the funds (or lack thereof) with which he has had to work. Just a fantastic job, and Champions League qualifying is well within touching distance. Speaking of that...

- Some of you have been hoping for an outside investment in the club, well...the Champions League would be one way to pull some huge cash in. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all clubs who qualify for the group stage receive somewhere in the 10-15mil range from UEFA? Would we get outclassed by the likes of Juve, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, etc? At first, yes. But that kind of revenue would allow us to start upping the ante for player purchases...and hopefully allow us to become one of the big boys if we qualified more than once. Look at what Hughes has done with scarce funds...and imagine what he could do with a bigger budget.

- Huge game with Spurs next Sunday. A win would tie us for 4th, and while Ewood is turning into a fortress...I'd really like to improve a bit on the away record (4 wins, 8 losses, 2 draws at the moment). Not to mention, I can't stand their fans.

- Any news on MGP's injury?

- Good news for other USA Roverites btw...the Spurs game will be on PPV and the following game (Villa on Saturday) will be on Fox Soccer Channel.

Edited by J-2

Would we get outclassed by the likes of Juve, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, etc?

386613[/snapback]

On the basis of this year, no. We've taken 9 points off of the champions league teams this season with a possible 6 more to come. Would we get anywhere in the competition? No, but if we did get there I think we'd cause a few teams some trouble.

I'll echo the thoughts of some; excellent result today, but let's not get too excited. Personally, I think anywhere in the top 10 will be a good result this season. Sixth place would be simply outstanding but I'm not counting on us getting it.

I'm not sure who to cheer for tomorrow - Wigan or UTD. If Wigan lose, the Uefa cup spot will go to 7th and we have a very decent chance of getting that.

Just read what Wenger had to say about the game today(on here, page 10 i think) FFS! i did have a lot of time for the guy, he has proved himself one of the top managers but he really needs to go to specsavers ,he wasnt watching the same game as me.Apart from some wayward shots from about 15-25 yards arsenal never really troubled us, at times We made em look like sunderland.The possession stat popped up (im sure there was only about 5 min left of the first half) 82% to Rovers, yes wegner thats really a team in the game.The Rovers where brilliant, everyone of em.

I,m seriously going to try and get to the tottenham game,its unlikley cause i'm skint. I havn't felt like this since the semi against arse and that was only for the ###### up,never thought Rovers could winthat one.Didn't take much notice of the crowd today,(what was it?) and because portmouth where on as well there was no sound, if this doesnt bring a few extra thousand on the gate nothing will.

Thank You Rovers for a great day(and making me excited about pro football again)

ENJOY YOUR HANGOVERS, i'm gonna enjoy mine.

P.S. this was even more enjoyable for me cause the arse supporters down here are worse than mancs.Used to get on with them till i realised they are just glory hunters,n told em one night after a few beers.Twas fun.

I'll echo the thoughts of some; excellent result today, but let's not get too excited.  Personally, I think anywhere in the top 10 will be a good result this season.  Sixth place would be simply outstanding but I'm not counting on us getting it.

I'm not sure who to cheer for tomorrow - Wigan or UTD.  If Wigan lose, the Uefa cup spot will go to 7th and we have a very decent chance of getting that.

386615[/snapback]

As Manchester United winning tomorrow would mean only 6th spot gets UEFA cup (7th we'll have to be waiting on the FA Cup results) then I think there is only one team we should want to win. Time to forget who we like or dislike and think of the club. European football is what we need.

Gotta say that at least 5 of our next 6 games are winnable (other than the Spurs game where a draw may not be the worst result).

So in essence if we get 15 points out of the next 18 (especially if one of them is a win over Spurs) then we would be in with a real shout of Champs League football, with our last 5 games to come.

Can we do it? Consistency has always been the problem...So lets wait and see...

From the BBC website;

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proof (if needed) that old lion king has lost the bloody plot. Funny how these old generals are wobbling these days. Fergie admitting that victory against wigan will confirm a successful season. FFS, both managers release their talisman and the rest of the team starts to disintegrate.

Happy Days  rolleyes.gif

386566[/snapback]

Arsenal are very much like ManUre these days, stop Rooney and you stop United, stop Henry and you stop Arsenal.

Gotta say that at least 5 of our next 6 games are winnable (other than the Spurs game where a draw may not be the worst result).

So in essence if we get 15 points out of the next 18 (especially if one of them is a win over Spurs) then we would be in with a real shout of Champs League football, with our last 5 games to come.

Can we do it? Consistency has always been the problem...So lets wait and see...

386629[/snapback]

If we get 15 points out of the next 18, as long as the solitary defeat isn't against Spuds, I'd say we'd be nailed on for the Champions League.

Over the last 2 seasons 60 and 61 points have been good enough for 4th spot. It may be very slightly more this time but there's nothing in Spurs recent form to suggest that they will get anything like 2 points per game over the last eleven matches. (Which would give them 68) 63 I think would certainly do it. Anything in the 60-62 range may yet be good enough again however.

The trouble with us as we've seen countless times over the last 5 seasons is that we come to a difficult looking fixture and win, then facing a subsequent easier looking run of fixtures things go pear shaped. Find the answer to that one and we will be cooking on gas.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

As Manchester United winning tomorrow would mean only 6th spot gets UEFA cup (7th we'll have to be waiting on the FA Cup results) then I think there is only one team we should want to win. Time to forget who we like or dislike and think of the club. European football is what we need.

386625[/snapback]

I understand the point you're making but billhooks to that, let's have ManUre winning sweet FA (again) and us qualifying for the Champions League! tongue.gif

rover.gif lets not get carried away lads,bellamy has played 3, 90 minutes in a row,so the hamstring is about to go.he is the difference between sucsess and averageness,if bellamy plays every game from now till the end of the season we may make europe,if not we are too lightweight up front.

the trick bellers used to go past sendorous was fantastic,he laid mgp's goal on a plate,that was class-pure class.we will have a job to hold on too bellamy next season if he continues too play like this,i thought his overall playwas superb,just can't understand why he drifts to the wing though. tinykit.gif

Only Peter and Pongo let the side down. Sergio's deliveries from dead balls were great but apart from that he was poor, which is a shame. I was championing him for a start but those who said that was premature were proved right today, hopefully he will improve.

As for Pongo I am not sure what he really did for us today, even Kuqi puts himself around a bit and wins flick ons. I really hope he steps up his game as obviously he has strength and technique. If DIckov is fit he must start the next game, failing that give Bentley a shot.

386573[/snapback]

I think Peter's performances in the PL will improve significantly as he gains experience. He showed with QPR what he is capable of against lower league sides. He's only just made the squad and I'm happy to give him more time to get the experience he needs, only exceptional players can make the step up immeadiately. I'm not sure MGP would have contributed anything extra to the game.

Ask yourself what would have happened to every ball Pongo received if Kugi had been playing in his place? The majority would have pinged off Kugi whereas Pongo is able to control and use the ball. There may or may not be more to come from him but in terms of helping to relieve pressure by keeping the ball he's streets ahead of Kugi.

I wonder what Sergio thought of the BBE's rendition of 633 squadron?

I agree with your points Paul.

Lets not underestimate MGP's effect on the game, and had he stayed on, who knows, maybe another goal?

But at any rate, Peter needs experience. He takes too much time on the ball but he will get there. He has the ability I think.

About your comparison between Sinama and Kuqi, you had it spot on. At least, this guy can keep hold of the ball! But I would start with Dickov if fit!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.