SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Battle Of 4th, 5th, 6th Position

Modi

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Englands "best" side, the one that ran away with the title last season and is doing the same this season? They lost to Barcelona, were outplayed, couldnt muster a chance away from home, and only scored from a last gasp "pity" penalty? They also lost with their best side at Betis.

Performances over a few matches dont make a great team, or a mediocre team. Its just form.

I cant agree with you that Juve's style or performance reflects on Italian football, just as Chelsea's unimaginative defeat in Barcelona cant reflect totally on English football.

The continental game is a whole another ball game.

396827[/snapback]

Yes, but that's also the Chelsea team totally out of form and struggling to beat poor Premiership opposition. You have to look at the form, more than position of the club. Arsenal are in a form that is better than the 5th place they currently occupy, but Juventus are also still in good form in the league. There is no doubting for me that the premiership is better than Serie A which somehow manages to maintain this sense of glory despite the fact that all they do is sit off of each other and wait until someone can score, if that even does happen.

If you look at how the three Italian teams performed in these quarter finals you'll see that it does give a pretty good reflection. You can outwork them and create chances fairly easily. The only shame was that Lyon decided to sit back when you could and should have killed the game off.

What about Englands "best" side, the one that ran away with the title last season and is doing the same this season? They lost to Barcelona, were outplayed, couldnt muster a chance away from home, and only scored from a last gasp "pity" penalty? They also lost with their best side at Betis.

396827[/snapback]

Honestly speaking, I feel a fully fit Man United and Arsenal is as good as a fully fit Chelsea side. This season, Man Utd would have been level with them at the top if not for Blackburn Rovers, who beat them twice! And thats after they played half the season without a recognized central midfielder in the side or their first choice left back.

An in form Man Utd or Arsenal would definitely have put in a better show than an off-form Chelsea

Can someone tell me definitively what combination of results adds to or reduces the number of UEFA cup places in the league?

I know that if Arsenal win the Champions league then they will go into the competition next year and 4th place won't be an automatic place for the Champions league.

I know that if the winner of the FACup is already in Europe then the loser gets a UEFA cup place and if they both are then there is an extra place in the league.

I don't know the rulings regarding the league cup. I know Wigan (as losing finalists) aren't allowed a place in the UEFA cup since Man Utd are already in Europe, but is there an extra UEFA cup place in the league because they won the league cup?

Are there any other rules that affect the places?

Edited by MC

Can someone tell me definitively what combination of results adds to or reduces the number of UEFA cup places in the league?

First 4 places go into Champions League (unless Arsenal win this year and don't finish 4th).

5th place goes into UEFA Cup.

Winner of League Cup goes into UEFA Cup unless already qualified by final league position. In this case, as this year, runner-up does not qualify but extra place goes to 6th in the league.

Winner of FA Cup goes into UEFA Cup. If winner already qualified by final league position then runner-up goes into UEFA Cup. This year, either Middlesborough, Charlton or West Ham will go into UEFA Cup. In other years, like 2005, when both finalists have already qualified, then extra UEFA place goes to team finishing 7th in the league.

There is the slight possibility that, if Arsenal finished 7th or lower and won the Champions League, then the 6th placed team would lose out.

396911[/snapback]

Check it at ...

Lure of Europe growing stronger

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...1119908,00.html

----

:: Champions League - FOUR.

Top two in the Premiership (currently Chelsea and Manchester United qualify automatically for group stage), third and fourth placed teams (Liverpool and Tottenham) into final qualifying round.

*If Arsenal win Champions League and finish outside top four, they become third English club straight into group stage, Tottenham go into UEFA Cup.

:: UEFA Cup - THREE OR FOUR

Fifth and sixth in Premiership (Blackburn and Arsenal), plus FA Cup winner or runner-up (West Ham, Charlton or Middlesbrough) straight into first round.

*If Middlesbrough win UEFA Cup and reach the FA Cup final, they will go into first round as tournament holders and seventh placed Premiership team (Bolton) would join them.

:: Fair Play - ONE

Country which finishes top of UEFA's Fair Play League (currently Belgium) automatically allocated one place in UEFA Cup 1st qualifying round. All countries with a final average of eight or above (England was 8.023 in December) go into a draw for the two remaining places. If successful, the highest placed team in Premiership Fair Play League not already in Europe (presently Charlton, then Wigan) would take the European place.

:: Intertoto Cup - ONE

Highest-ranked team to apply not already in Europe takes England's place in third round. Not all seven teams to express their willingness to participate have done so publicly but it is believed Blackburn, Bolton, Everton and Middlesbrough are among them.

-----

user posted image

395113[/snapback]

That post should be bookmarked. In fact, we should pin a dillo dillo topic that only she can post in.

396951[/snapback]

Bookmarked help us.

The same question posted many times. That's inefficient !!

Lure of Europe growing stronger

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...1119908,00.html

----

:: Champions League - FOUR.

Top two in the Premiership (currently Chelsea and Manchester United qualify automatically for group stage), third and fourth placed teams (Liverpool and Tottenham) into final qualifying round.

*If Arsenal win Champions League and finish outside top four, they become third English club straight into group stage, Tottenham go into UEFA Cup.

:: UEFA Cup - THREE OR FOUR

Fifth and sixth in Premiership (Blackburn and Arsenal), plus FA Cup winner or runner-up (West Ham, Charlton or Middlesbrough) straight into first round.

*If Middlesbrough win UEFA Cup and reach the FA Cup final, they will go into first round as tournament holders and seventh placed Premiership team (Bolton) would join them.

:: Fair Play - ONE

Country which finishes top of UEFA's Fair Play League (currently Belgium) automatically allocated one place in UEFA Cup 1st qualifying round. All countries with a final average of eight or above (England was 8.023 in December) go into a draw for the two remaining places. If successful, the highest placed team in Premiership Fair Play League not already in Europe (presently Charlton, then Wigan) would take the European place.

:: Intertoto Cup - ONE

Highest-ranked team to apply not already in Europe takes England's place in third round. Not all seven teams to express their willingness to participate have done so publicly but it is believed Blackburn, Bolton, Everton and Middlesbrough are among them.

-----

user posted image

395113[/snapback]

Edited by dillo_dillo

Cheers you guys. thumbs-up.gif

I had been looking around the site and through this thread for a definitive answer to the 'what are the rules determining European places' question.

I had seen the question asked and partially answered before (esp in the case of the champions league) but had never seen a complete answer containing all the possible permutations of uefa cup places (whether they were possible this season or not) and that is what I was looking for so thankyou - esp to dillo dillo.

I know it's annoying when the same thing comes up more than once and I did attempt to read through this thread first to see if there was already a link to the answer included.

I'm having a boring Friday and am reminiscing about this board over the previous two campaigns. Relegation worries, panic stations and the sheer relief of that 4-3 Fulham win have been replaced with Champs Leauge optimism. It is an amazing turnaround, and looks to be here to stay for a while. But crowds are gonig down.

Spurs - City game is now about 20 minutes old, City have just missed an excellent chance. Spurs have started fairly well - big game for us, don't fancy Bolton or Arsenal to get too much from their games tomorrow, so if Spurs slip up we'll be in a strong position going in to the Pompey game...