• Yes - To an evening kick off.
    • No - one change was enough.
    • No
    • Grooby Out.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There appears to be no one at LFC or amongst their support who has got this right. I still have deep memories of that day and visited Anfield on the Monday following but enough is enough. It's time for the fans to move on, recognising the best way to pay tribute to the dead is to play football and hold a minute's silence.

390875[/snapback]

I agree 100% I bet if we could ask any of the Liverpool fans who perished they would want the games to go on.

stu, why in god's name are you on that Liverpool Board trying to appease those idiots?

It's surely of far greater consequence, that that Blackburn fan will not be renewing his season ticket next year. (whether you agree with his analysis of what happened at Hillsborough or not) I must admit I'm starting to wonder what the point of following Rovers is when the powers that be refuse to look after the interests of our own club.

You're meant to be a member of BRISA not RAWK ffs.

stu, why in god's name are you on that Liverpool Board trying to appease those idiots?

It's surely of far greater consequence, that that Blackburn fan will not be renewing his season ticket next year. (whether you agree with his analysis of what happened at Hillsborough or not) I must admit I'm starting to wonder what the point of following Rovers is when the powers that be refuse to look after the interests of our own club.

391222[/snapback]

They were backed up into a tight spot though, in all honesty. I'd have prefered we stand up for ourselves and refuse to reschedule the game, but the amount of bad publicity this would have caused probably wasn't worth the hassle. This is especially so considering we are quite able to move the fixture without too many problems.

391222[/snapback]

Who am I appeasing? Who on there needs appeasing?

My opinion has stayed the same through all of this. The game should have been moved properly ages and ages ago. Like June.

Their club has cocked up, not ours.

Perhaps in the eyes of some fans ours have made their first mistake by agreeing to a second change, but as I (and others) have pointed out, they were really in a no win situation.

And Im not entirely sure whether I am a member of BRISA or not has to do with a personal opinion?

Edited by stuwilky

Its been moved to Sunday 16th Apr. KO 14:30

At the end of the day it was Liverpools fault for not looking at the fixtures well in advance and then put in the request for it to be changed. Rovers really had no choice as it would not look good for us. We normally get slated in the press anyway but for us to be portayed as heartless etc would not do our caring reputation any good.

I would have prefered a minutes silence and the KO on the Saturday at 15:00 or even 17:30 at the most. An open apology to the fans that have payed out alot of money to travel to match would be seen as at least a good will gesture. They will not pay out any money as a form of compensation.

Lets hope we win.....

Rovers til I die......

Most sensible Liverpool fans have accepted this as a compromise, their original reason for moving the game was to allow them to attend the memorial and the match, which they now can.

Some of them are being, erm, slightly difficult (was that polite enough).

390623[/snapback]

That was your view on here on March 14th, on there you're showing a totally different face apologising to them because one of our own fans is upset about the second switch!

Edited by RevidgeBlue

That was your view on here on March 14th, on there you're showing a totally different face apologising to them because one of our own fans is upset about the second switch!

391241[/snapback]

I am apologising because one of our fans made a disrespectful comment about the cause of Hillsbrough Rev. Something I find abhorrant, it was an untrue comment simply made to antagonise them, I also made reference to some people on the official board being immature (i didnt use that word, but certainly along those lines). I dont think that is disputable?

I have said for months and months and months this game should be moved, it appear that Rick Parry took some time to agree with me. A sad reflection on how he runs his football club.

I am entirely sympathetic to fans our both clubs who have difficulties, or financial issues because of this move.

As a person who is not affected by the date change I am obviously in a priviledged position of being able to look at this situation more objectively than someone who, quite rightly, is upset if the new date means they are inconvenienced, or even cannot attend altogether.

I believe the club have probably made, the right, albeit unpopular decision here, by agreeing to move the fixture once again.

The problem Rovers have is that, basically they were onto a loser if they went against the proposed date change. The press would have had a field day going to town on our little, unpopular club of talentless thugs and neanderthal, small town mentality fans at a time where the Hillsborough anniversary story will be big news and the sensible money will be on the press favouring the hard done to, grieving Liverpool fans, whilst laying into our lot who dont buy many papers anyway.

Instead we have found ourselves in a position where we are the "bigger man" and the club and Mark Hughes in particular, have emerged with great credit and dignity at a time where football is littered with thugs, yobs and overpaid prima donnas who care nothing for the heart and soul of the game.

People talk about "big" clubs. Birmingham showed that being from a city and having a larger crowd does not make one a "big" club, when their handling of the Robbie Savage saga was, frankly amateurish. Nearly every single member of this board takes the ###### on a regular basis, still...over a year on, and probably always will. We, in contrast do not have the geography or the crowds, (or an empty trophy cabinet) but who is the more respected outfit? If we had refused the switch, rightly or wrongly, what would LFC fans be saying about us in 12 months time, rightly or wrongly, about what is a far more emotive subject?

Rovers are slowly turning around the national opinion of themselves by playing attractive football getting (spectacular) resultsand having a polite, articulate, intelligent manager, who isnt afraid to mix his words, yet rarely leaves pundits and fans alike thinking what a prat he is, a' la Morinho, Wenger and Ferguson.

Todays move further cements our position. Rovers have always had a reputation as being one of, if not the friendliest "family" clubs around, a fact which I am proud of.

Let me also say that I lay the blame of this fiasco entirely on the doormat of a greedy, insensitive Liverpool Board, who have put football before people, as I think do most people, but at least our great(er) club is not tarred with the same brush.

Liverpool fans have a great sense of unity and are great at displaying their feelings and emotions as a unit, be it through song, voting with their feet or even by displaying banners at games, as some have them have suggested they do, bearing tidings of thanks to our club, who showed more compassion to 96 dead fans of another club than their own could do. It wouldnt surpise me if they did make some kind of grand gesture, and what a lot of pride it would give me for my club if they did.

Ultimately I feel sorry for the fans who have made travel arrangements from abroad, or from outside Lancashire, as I feel that they have been inconvenienced the most by far. For the fans living in an around Blackburn who have been put out, I think you need to put things into perspective...yes its an almighty pain in the arse when fixtures change, especially under the circumstances today, but are ALL of you really going to find it that difficult to change your plans a month in advance? Next week it could be SKY or bad weather causing you the same problem.

I am also sure that for every fan who may now miss the match, there must be a reasonable proportion of fans that can now go that couldnt have yesterday. It is just the luck of the draw so to speak.

In summary, Liverpool football Club have emerged from this with great discredit, the opposite of which I believe will be how Rovers are portayed as the intensity of this occasion builds up as the match draws nearer. (And it will).

I believe that some kind of gesture of compensation should be made by Liverpool FC to our fans, not because the match fell on this particular date, but because of the insensitive way it has been handled for all parties. How that should be done I do not know.

Either way, history will look back at this date kindly, from Rovers point of view, whilst the result (which in IMO will in no way beaffected by kick off times or dates) will be irrelevant.

Im sorry for those who may miss out, but take pride that your club is one of dignity and respect, in an age where football is polluted with backhanders, cheats and corruption.

The Club have taken the only option they could have sensibly taken, so lets go on and win a game that, because of the occasion, the footballing world may have once viewed as Liverpools to win, but is now ours for the taking...

Hrmph we've already been done over by them and the inept Halsey once this season!

I wonder if LFC would have agreed to change it if the situation was reversed i.e. if John Williams had got himself on a spike and if they were also playing an important and very influential match on the following Wed?

They really need to play on the 15th and put it behind em and exorcise their emotions for their own collective good. It's bloody unhealthy to mourn too long.

I wonder if LFC would have agreed to change it if the situation was reversed i.e. if John Williams had got himself on a spike and if they were also playing an important and very influential match on the following Wed? 

They really need to play on the 15th and put it behind em and exorcise their emotions for their own collective good.  It's bloody unhealthy to mourn too long.

391255[/snapback]

As to point one. Would they bollux!

As to point two, agreed. The Hillsborough Family Support Group and Liverpool FC had already consulted and agreed to that extremely sensible and courageous course of action before the start of the season

It's only Parry now trying to save face with the the now completely pointless and outdated HJC.

Darth Paul's post is a noble one but I can't help thinking in reality that the rest of the country outside Liverpool will be looking at this ridiculous situation and thinking we're bonkers.

Still, who cares if we lose out on yet more support and ST holders and potentially narrowly miss out on Europe. Just as long as Liverpool are kept happy.

As to point one. Would they bollux!

As to point two, agreed. The Hillsborough Family Support Group and Liverpool FC had already consulted and agreed to that extremely sensible and courageous course of action before the start of the season

It's only Parry now trying to save face with the the now completely pointless and outdated  HJC.

Darth Paul's post is a noble one but I can't help thinking in reality that the rest of the country outside Liverpool will be looking at this ridiculous situation and thinking we're bonkers.

Still, who cares if we lose out on yet more support and ST holders and potentially narrowly miss out on Europe. Just as long as Liverpool are kept happy.

391257[/snapback]

Christ Rev, get a grip.

We were shafted thoroughly. If we had declined to have the game changed we would never of heard the end of it, even from a section of our own fans who would of seen the act as insensitive.

The press would have had an absolute field day.

The one thing that should be raised with Liverpool is the idea of putting together a small compensation fund for those out of pocket for travel who can prove it with reciepts.

And that should be the end of it.

Liverpool are guilty of messing about and also of wollowing a little too long in their own grief, but realistically there was no way Rovers could have come out of this smelling good.

We were shafted thoroughly. If we had declined to have the game changed we would never of heard the end of it, even from a section of our own fans who would of seen the act as insensitive.

The press would have had an absolute field day.

The one thing that should be raised with Liverpool is the idea of putting together a small compensation fund for those out of pocket for travel who can prove it with reciepts.

391263[/snapback]

We weren't. Liverpool TRIED shafting us. We ALLOWED ourselves to be shafted. The first change was perfectly reasonable and quite sufficient. There's no way the Press could have had a field day if Rovers PR mechanism had have pointed this out properly.

Exactly the same sort of thing happened when Ferguson said he wasn't in the right frame of mind to play one particular game. We held all the aces with it being right on the transfer deadline but we meekly let him trot off to Rangers for a reduced fee.

I'll be amazed if the thought of compensating Rovers fans has even crossed anyone's mind at Ewood. I'll show my backside on the town hall steps if it actually happens.

Now there's incentive enough for you JW/TF! smile.gif

Not inconvenienced by the switch to Easter Sunday, so my views should be seen in that perspective. I think the club were in a no-win situation. The Hillsborough factor has meant the club (BRFC) and its management has had to be very circumspect in its public responses on this but as the match approaches, it should stress that the cock-up over this fixtures repeated rescheduling has all been of Liverpool's and the Premiership's making. It is important that alienated, inconvenienced Rovers fans are mollified in some way (and that might well mean pointing the finger of blame where it truly belongs). Perhaps transport companies/hotel chains could be prevailed upon to help the many Rovers fans recoup costs incurred by the third switch of this fixture (and gain some goodwill and good publicity at the same time)?

Whilst I can understand many Roverites anger over this, there's nothing to be gained by attacking or penalising Rovers as a club - this would be counterproductive and I don't personally believe this is the 'big issue' for BRISA to try and rally diminishing numbers of active troops around.

The protests should solely be directed towards Liverpool's Rick Parry whose prevarication, vacillation and inconsistency should be put in the spotlight and 'big club' LFC should learn a bit of humility and decorum, especially when it (and many of its fans) tries so hard to seize every moral high ground.

Also not inconvenienced by the switch, but at the very least LIVERPOOL should be made to refund the fares paid by our overseas supporters AND get them tickets that will allow them to see the game.

Also agree that frankly, Hillsborough's a long time ago, they had it switched so they could attend the service, and we should have told them to get knotted when- BECAUSE THEY WENT OUT OF EUROPE- they wanted it switched again.

Rovers are put at a big disadvantage by having 24 hours less before the Brum game. Its time Liverpool got over it - I don't recall Celtic/Rangers making the day of the Ibrox disaster a non-playing day nor Bradford City for the fire.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.