Should Rovers agree to Liverpools request to move the game  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Should Rovers agree to Liverpools request to move the game

• Yes - To Easter Sunday
    • Yes - To an evening kick off.
    • No - one change was enough.
    • No
    • Grooby Out.

I agree with the posts from Darth Paul and Billinge End Blue.

For what its worth:

- my anger was how this suddenly became an issue for LFC AFTER they had lost to Benfica. I hope the FA and Premiership have noted where their competitions stand in Liverpool's very obvious order of priorities:

1 Champions League gazilions, 2. HJC 3. the rest.

- Rovers were probably stuffed BEFORE LFC made the announcement of asking us for a change. Parry would have used his influence from having been the Prem's founding Chief Exec to square away the Premier League and Sky before they publicly announced their request.

- No doubt LFC's hairtrigger posting of the announced change yesterday afdternoon bounced the Rovers out of a position Rovers were still negotiating on.

- I wonder (and hope) that having heard little from the Norwegian supporters means something is being done to help with rearranging their trip rather them being too disappointed/disaffected to post.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully after us being more than accomodating yet again to Liverpool FC they will be loaning us more of the likes of Pongolle in the future and less Babbels. biggrin.gif In fact, we should really be asking them for players every year from now on.

For some reason Liverpool games always seem to be being moved about. If not for Sky then because of the Grand National.

Didn't we also move a game in the season first came back up? We ended up moving it from a time when we on a great run and subsequently lost it 4-3 or something. Heskey even scored I remember! ohmy.gif As he liked to against us.

Rovers were in a tough spot with this one. Even looking after their own fans would seem like they are thinking of football above a tragedy, even if it wasn't the fault of BRFC. We've been shafted but at least we emerged with all the credit, unlike Parry and LFC board. Just a shame for any fans (and some Liverpool fans may have been messed about too) who lose out because of it.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Bigbear is spot on, apart from the fact Rovers have had no regard whatsoever for the views of their own support.

We are downright wrong to move this fixture a second time,

391214[/snapback]

RB - Personally, I don't think we are wrong in moving the fixture and empathise with the Liverpool supporters

What I do find wrong is the timing and the way it has been done( as its not as if they haven't had enough time to sort), mostly in detriment to the Rovers fans especially after the bollux from the FA re the FA Cup re the movement of the SF's from Cardiff last season.

In fact this is better for me as I am at a wedding on the Saturday and have been trying to sort a way of getting out of it

That's not the point though - the morality and etiquette of it is though

Ste B  Yesterday, 19:26 Post #149 

Champions League

Group: Administrators

QUOTE(CAPT KAYOS @ Mar 16 2006, 17:09 )

Exactly  Steb - difficult though the situation is,  this has gone from Rovers being accommodating to being sheite muslimed on.

SIMPLE ENOUGH - Why don't we Rovers Fans BOYCOTT the game

You arent going to get your money back from your season ticket for that game though so its no loss to the club.

Come renewal time though, people will remember the fixtures being messed around ALL season.

No qualms about not getting a refund Steb

Renwal time and the FANS remembering is.

i don't know what to make of all this, i can understand the tradgedy and the days events at anfield, so fair enough pay respects and move the game to a later kick off.

then we have to move it again, so less rest time before big club brum, messing our fans around, what else do you want liverpool, yes sir, right sir, 3 bags full sir.

i suppose they want the 3 points n all, well they ain't having tham too, they can take their shell suits and leave ewood with nout.

Bit of a cheek, really.  They aren't in the Champions League now so  that 'frees up dates'.  Really?  Big of them, don't you think?  So they can now muck about with our schedule. 

I can't see the problem with a 5.15.pm  Saturday match after their memorial service. They are a relatively short distance away, not the other end of the country. This is getting more and more ridiculous.  mad.gif

390865[/snapback]

Bit of a cheek? I think that's putting it mildy, I would call it downright hypocrisy. Playing on the anniversary is ok if it helps their European campaign but now they are out of Europe they want the match moving again. Grrr.

Bit of a cheek? I think that's putting it mildy, I would call it downright hypocrisy. Playing on the anniversary is ok if it helps their European campaign but now they are out of Europe they want the match moving again. Grrr.

391375[/snapback]

spot on. wink.gif

it amazes me that the genuine LFC fans havent seen through it.

(i'll have a word with 'scouser brown' tonight and gage the opinion of the shell suits).

rick parry has insulted the memory, of the 96, far more than playing a match on april 15th ever will.

hope karma gets him!

Edited by pleasure

As a person who is not affected by the date change I am obviously in a priviledged position of being able to look at this situation more objectively than someone who, quite rightly, is upset if the new date means they are inconvenienced, or even cannot attend altogether.

I believe the club have probably made, the right, albeit unpopular decision here, by agreeing to move the fixture once again.

The problem Rovers have is that, basically they were onto a loser if they went against the proposed date change. The press would have had a field day going to town on our little, unpopular club of talentless thugs and neanderthal, small town mentality fans at a time where the Hillsborough anniversary story will be big news and the sensible money will be on the press favouring the hard done to, grieving Liverpool fans, whilst laying into our lot who dont buy many papers anyway.

Instead we have found ourselves in a position where we are the "bigger man" and the club and Mark Hughes in particular, have emerged with great credit and dignity at a time where football is littered with thugs, yobs and overpaid prima donnas who care nothing for the heart and soul of the game.

People talk about "big" clubs. Birmingham showed that being from a city and having a larger crowd does not make one a "big" club, when their handling of the Robbie Savage saga was, frankly amateurish. Nearly every single member of this board takes  the ###### on a regular basis, still...over a year on, and probably always will. We, in contrast do not have the geography or the crowds, (or an empty trophy cabinet) but who is the more respected outfit? If we had refused the switch, rightly or wrongly, what would LFC fans be saying about us in 12 months time, rightly or wrongly, about what is a far more emotive subject?

Rovers are slowly turning around the national opinion of themselves by playing attractive football getting (spectacular)  resultsand having a polite, articulate, intelligent manager, who isnt afraid to mix his words, yet rarely leaves pundits and fans alike thinking what a prat he is, a' la Morinho, Wenger and Ferguson.

Todays move further cements our position. Rovers have always had a reputation as being one of, if not the friendliest "family" clubs around, a fact which I am proud of.

Let me also say that I lay the blame of this fiasco entirely on the doormat of a greedy, insensitive Liverpool Board, who have put football before people, as I think do most people, but at least our great(er) club is not tarred with the same brush.

Liverpool fans have a great sense of unity and are great at displaying their feelings and emotions as a unit, be it through song, voting with their feet or even by displaying banners at games, as some have them have suggested they do, bearing tidings of thanks to our club, who showed more compassion to 96 dead fans of another club than their own could do. It wouldnt surpise me if they did make some kind of grand gesture, and what a lot of pride it would give me for my club if they did.

Ultimately I feel sorry for the fans who have made travel arrangements from abroad, or from outside Lancashire, as I feel that they have been inconvenienced the most by far. For the fans living in an around Blackburn who have been put out, I think you need to put things into perspective...yes its an almighty pain in the arse when fixtures change, especially under the circumstances today, but are ALL of you really going to find it that difficult to change your plans a month in advance? Next week it could be SKY or bad weather causing you the same problem.

I am also sure that for every fan who may now miss the match, there must be a reasonable proportion of fans that can now go that couldnt have yesterday. It is just the luck of the draw so to speak.

In summary, Liverpool football Club have emerged from this with great discredit, the opposite of which I believe will be how Rovers are portayed as the intensity of this occasion builds up as the match draws nearer. (And it will).

I believe that some kind of gesture of compensation should be made by Liverpool FC to our fans, not because the match fell on this particular date, but because of the insensitive way it has been handled for all parties. How that should be done I do not know.

Either way, history will look back at this date kindly, from Rovers point of view, whilst the result (which in IMO will in no way beaffected by kick off times or dates) will be irrelevant.

Im sorry for those who may miss out, but take pride that your club is one of dignity and respect, in an age where football is polluted with backhanders, cheats and corruption.

The Club have taken the only option they could have sensibly taken, so lets go on and win a game that, because of the occasion, the footballing world may have once viewed as Liverpools to win, but is now ours for the taking...

391251[/snapback]

Very, very well said DP. That is probably the most sensible post I have seen on this subject. And well done also to Rovers for having the dignity and good taste to do it.

However, I still think that after this year it would be a very opportune time for the Liverpool fans and club to consider what their future arrangements should be.

Weak leadership from the Rovers management, putting in jeopardy potential Champions League points rather than risk upsetting Liverpudlian sensibilities by refusing to switch.

The least Liverpool can do now is roll over and let us win 3-0.

The whining of the scousers did put us in a difficult position, if we told them to bog off after the calls for the match to go ahead on Sunday, we would have been seen by the hand wringing press as the bad guys. We had to dance to this tune, and the tearful shellsuits knew it.

And anyway, let's pretend Liverpool win 5-0. Wouldn't that be a fitting tribute to the memory of those who died ?.

Please move on Liverpool Football Club, it's only Rememberance Day that requires the world to stop for a moment.

Jim, care to explain why we're"putting in jeopardy potential Champions League points" by kicking off at 2.30 on the Sunday rather than 5.15 on Saturday?

391430[/snapback]

Because the players have 24 hours (or thereabouts) less recovery time before the match away to Birmingham City on the Wednesday night ?

Ask any professional footballer and he will tell you that rest and recuperation are vitally important at this stage of the season, which is one reason why Rovers ought to thump Middlesbrough this weekend.

Rovers have a real chance of qualifying for the Champions League; to handicap themselves in this way doesn't make sense.

Apparently, Liverpool fans are arranging a "thank-you" banner for the game.  huh.gif

391421[/snapback]

....Now they`re just on the look-out for one they can nick! wink.gif

Yes Im adding already to a lengthy debate, but I havent had access to the internet to vent my thoughts until now.

No one has backed the club more than I have, but the latest lack of consideration of their own fans just stinks.

In order to accomodate Liverpool, Rovers supporters have to change their Easter weekend plans. The excuse of being requested to do so by the premiership, doesnt wear when the official Liverpool web site quotes Chief Executive Rick Parry as saying:

"As soon as we were knocked out of Europe and other fixture dates became available, we contacted both Blackburn Rovers and the FA Premier League and we're delighted it has been possible to reschedule the game.

It would appear that if they hadnt been knocked out of europe Liverpool would have been happy to play on the already rearranged 5-15 Saturday kick off.

I feel sorry for Hughes and the team, but this latest PR exercise by the club stinks.

Here is another question. Why didnt April 15th get taken out the equation for l'pool when they were doing the fix at the start of the season. After all, they arrange the fix computer so that certain clubs dont play at home on the same sat (us and burnley, saints pompey, man u city etc) surely they could have done a similar thing for April 15th?! Or would that be too sensible

Edited by BRFC4EVA

It would appear that if they hadnt been knocked out of europe Liverpool  would have been happy to play on the already rearranged 5-15 Saturday kick off.

I feel sorry for Hughes and the team, but this latest PR exercise by the club stinks.

391459[/snapback]

PR stinks? Hardly. We've upset a few fans it appears, and I'm not happy really either cos imo if it had been a less fashionable club than Liverpool the Prem League would prob have rejected their appeal outright thereby protecting us from being put on the spot as we have been. The Prem have been very very weak imo by not shouldering the responsibility for any decision themselves!

BUT I think overall your criticism is unfair and as far as BRFC is concerned the PR on this occasion is actually good! Our poor reputation in the world of football was damaging enough to be discussed at full board meeting not too long ago. MH was left in no doubt that our reputation must be restored. He has done that exceptionally well on the pitch and I think this benevolent capitulation will have helped even more to dispel our unearned poor reputation within the footballing world outside Blackburn. BUT TO JUSTIFY IT WE MUST NOW MAKE SURE THAT WE EXPLOIT THIS UNSELFISH AND SPORTING DECISION FOR ALL IT IS WORTH. GO MILK IT ROVERS! wink.gif

Edited by thenodrog

I'm sorry, but Liverpool need to move on. Tell the Liverpool fan outside Gladstones a few years back with the machete that we should respect the dead and I'll show you a Rovers fan not getting a season ticket next year because the fixtures get moved around too much. It's sick. Heysel? That's all swpet under the carpet, but whose fault was that? It's not a real world we live in. Media hype and media mythology rule, and Liverpool seem the main beneficiaries. We're losing out, and there's nothing we can do about it.

We're losing out, and there's nothing we can do about it.

391490[/snapback]

That is probably the truest sentence - there is nothing we could do about this one. Whichever way you look at this Rovers lose - either losing a day of valuable rest between matches or risk a media out cry from hacks too quick to jump on the bandwagon.

I agree with previous post - that it is the Premier League that bottled the situation and left Rovers in a no-win situation. As has been said - it is now time for Rovers to go on a media offensive to make thebest of this "kind" gesture.

The only shame is that, if it had been the other way around, we would still be playing the match on the set time and date.

Guest fernhurstblue
The move to Sunday was fully backed by Hughes....he saw no problem with it.

391505[/snapback]

of course he agreed, what else was he supposed to say!!

unsure.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.