BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Emerton Blow For Rovers

1 SOCCER Blackburn Nightlead

EMERTON TO EXTEND EWOOD STAY

By Ian Parkes, PA Sport

Brett Emerton is poised to become the latest Blackburn player to commit his future to the club.

Despite the disappointing departure of Craig Bellamy to Liverpool earlier in the summer for £6.5million, Morten Gamst Pedersen, Steven Reid and Ryan Nelsen have all signed new deals.

Now Australian winger Emerton looks set to follow suit, potentially before Rovers start the new

Barclays Premiership season against Portsmouth at Fratton Park on Saturday.

Despite speculation linking Emerton with a move to Middlesbrough, Rovers manager Mark

Hughes confirmed: “Brett should commit in the next day or so.

“We’ve been talking to him for a number of weeks, and certainly in the last couple of days to try to come

to a resolution.

“Apart from a few i’s to be dotted and t’s crossed, we’re near to saying Brett will be with us for another two or three seasons.

“He’s a player who gives me a lot of options. He is very versatile in that he can play wide, at full-back and he can make breaks from the centre of the park.

“He has the ability to carry the ball from one end of the field to the other, and that’s why other teams have coveted him this summer.”

The same applied to centre-half Nelsen, with Portsmouth in particular trying to prise the New Zealander away from Ewood Park.

Nelsen, who will miss Saturday’s clash on the south coast with a hamstring injury, has signed a four-year

extension to ward off predators.

“It was important we put that one to bed, and I’m delighted we have been able to tie up Ryan for another four years,” added Hughes, who signed Nelsen on a free transfer from DC United 18 months ago.

“He is an important part of what we are trying to do here and that is why we wanted him tied down for a

longer period.

“It did drag on somewhat, and there was the irritation of Portsmouth in the background, but we were able to see them off.

“We made it clear from the outset we weren’t going to let him go, and we gave him a new contract because we felt he deserved it.

“Given his circumstances, and the fact he came from America, he was probably on a lesser wage than his talents deserved.

“We’ve shown how we feel about him with the level of contract he now has, and I’m looking forward to

working with him for the next three, four years

“But it shows how far we have come because this time last year nobody wanted my players, now it seems everybody wants them.”

Nelsen never had much inclination to quit Rovers for Pompey in any case and added: “I’m delighted to have sorted things out.

“Blackburn gave me the opportunity to play in the Premiership in the first place, and it’s a privilege to be here another four years.

“I never once thought it was time for a change. For me it’s about ambition and success, and with the manager committing and the new signings, all the news coming out of Blackburn has been positive.

“As a player that’s what you want to see, so when I was offered the new deal I never thought twice about it.

“Portsmouth were never an option. I’ve been more worried about my hamstring injury.”

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently whilst training on Ewood the other day someone left the Darwen End gate open & Emerton (Forrest Gump) was seen running through Darwen town centre.

Run Forrest RUN!!

He was last seen on the other side of Bolton

Skysports have an article on it also:

Emerton blow

Hughes: "He has the ability to carry the ball from one end of the field to the other, and that's why other teams have coveted him this summer."

Do you think he means from the right to the centre of the field?

In a dream world, I was hoping we could get over 2 million for him and sign Gera. Oh well. Guess we can forget the club moving for a right winger who can actually play now.

Edited by bluebruce

Just doesn't have the self-belief to be a good footballer. Creativity - 0. Athleticism - 9. Sell - please.

Actually, there have been moments when I've found him to be too full of self belief- prompting him to do ridiculous backheels to opposition defenders.

I would have accepted Emerton going to Boro for the right price, but £800,000 is just insulting. He has never lived up to his reputation, whether or not he has been played out of position. But I think that he is a decent squad player to have, he's an option from the bench or to start and if we weren't going to get decent money for him, then it would not be have been a good idea to sell him. Who would we be able to buy for £800,000 to replace him? I hope that he has a good season.

I'm totally apathetic with regards Bert.

If he stays, he's not that bad a player and we need to have a reasonably sized squad if we want to take Europe remotely seriously. We won't get a much better player for £1m

If he goes, then he'd be no great loss and there's probably players who can do a squad role just as well. Might cost a bit more than £1m but would probably be on lower wages, so cost neutral.

Can't think of any other player I am so unbothered about.

Can't say I'm Burts greatest fan but it really is good to hear such positive vibes coming out of the club

Good move by the club imo. Emerton is a decent player, and selling him for peanuts is just plain stupid.

I'm with you two. Emerton isn't the best but whenever we have Reid / Bentley on the wing I am usually glad to see Bert come on for the last 25 mins or so....... the odd thing is that when it is vice versa and Bert has been on from the start I am longing for him to be taken off and one of the other two to come on. :blink:

Good and talented player who unfortunatley seems slow in thought but who may as well stay for £800,000.

btw imo Hughes is playing a close season blinder with the only hiccup has been the completely unavoidable loss of Bellamy.

Edited by thenodrog

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.