SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Emerton At Rb

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Emerton had a cracking game for Australia against Ghana in London midweek. He played at right back in a 4-3-3 formation and wore the captain's armband for most of the second half after Vince Grella was injured. He had a solid game at the back but looked very good in attack. He made many driving runs with the ball at his feet out of defence, distributed his passed to the flanks wells, and nearly scored himself from the right hand side of the box, his shot forcing the goalkeeper into a very good save early in the second half. He was essential to many of Australia's attacking moves, but due to poor finishing up front and the superb performances of both of Ghana's goalkeepers, only a 1-1 draw was managed, which really didn't tell the whole story.

He's on fire at the moment for both club and country, but with Bentley loathe to bring the right back into the game (it was the same with Neill), we're not really utilising him properly.

Bentley is too selfish, he was critisized at Norwich for the same thing and I dont think Sparky is discouraging his greediness either.

Brett is a exciting player and Im glad hes found his Feyenord form, hes also a better RB then Neil. Hes not getting the plaudits in the press for his RB appearances as they all think hes still a makeshift RB, which is good news as no clubs will be sniffing around for now.

P/S I think he deserves to lose the Bert nickname now, hes earned our respect this season.

• 3 weeks later...

Emerton out for two weeks- same hamstring problem as earlier in the season. Hughes blaming lack of summer rest.

######. Thats monhs ago. More likely to be caused by strange and inexplicable turns when shying away from goal........ and also possibly having to continually train on cold wet monday mornings at Brockhall with his nob out! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Dunno if I'm a party pooper but whilst Emerton has done well at RB his weaknesses worry me greatly.

1. He does NOT have that basic bloody minded defensive mentality.

and

2. His aireal ability is absolutely p1ss poor!

Credit to Brett he has certainly looked better attacking from deep and his work rate cannot be faulted at all ..... but any manager worth his salt will be telling his right winger / right back to cross deep over the both centre halves heads to the back stick where any half arsed centre forward with decent heading ability can pull back to and will have an absolute field day! Brett will not even attempt to challenge in the air! When other teams adopt that tactic the full back has to play more like a centre half and come forward into the middle compete and attack the ball in the air. A talent that I have not seen in Brett Emertons repertoire.

Dunno if I'm a party pooper but whilst Emerton has done well at RB his weaknesses worry me greatly.

2. His aireal ability is absolutely p1ss poor!

Well said Gord, I can think of about half a dozen we've conceded over the past season or two where the conclusion has been that Emo didn't put in anything like an effective aerial challenge. Think I'd be a bit more constructive about it though - room for improvement rather than p1ss poor ;) . Something for Hughes et al to work on. Suppose if he was the finished article though he probably wouldn't be at Ewood,

Have you forgotten that we won the Prem with Henning Berg frequently at right back?

Henning was almost exclusively a right back during his first stint at Rovers, although he played at centre for his country. He was brilliant in either position.

Well said Gord, I can think of about half a dozen we've conceded over the past season or two where the conclusion has been that Emo didn't put in anything like an effective aerial challenge. Think I'd be a bit more constructive about it though - room for improvement rather than p1ss poor ;) . Something for Hughes et al to work on. Suppose if he was the finished article though he probably wouldn't be at Ewood,

For a tall guy his heading is woeful, he doesn't seem to relish the bodily contact that comes with making contested headers. Something needs to be done before the long ball to the far post becomes a tactic for all our opponents.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.