BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn 2 - 0 Red Bull Salzburg

Ozz

What an absolutely brilliant performance from Rovers. Every one of our players was on top of his game. Emerton, Nonda, Neil, Ooijer and Khizanishvili were particularly impressive. McCarthy's goal was brilliant, Bentley's was a thing of sublime genius.

While each of our back four were individually strong we still looked vulnerable. Only Salzburg's lack of real guile saved us from conceding.

However, enjoy it while it lasts. I'm on a real high today. I can't wait to get over for a European night.

Edited by Rovermatt

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the first time for a while I didn't think anyone actually had a bad game. Bentley had a poor game by his recent standards - but his link up play with Emerton is excellent - and of course he scored a tap in. :D

Though there is room for improvement - the general play was at times excellent - and but for a few missed chances, and near things we would have won by an even greater margin.

What I currently find amazing - is how the full backs are given apparent license to roam - reminds me a little bit of Man Utd during the 90's.

With Nelsen, Reid and Roberts to come back from injury - things are looking up. We just need to keep this little run going with a win against Wigan.

For me - just short of 19k home fans was an excellent effort - considering our peak home attendances over the last 10 years probably only rose as high as 23k. I was there when we played Trelleborgs - only about 13k if my memory is correct.

BTW - Don't know if should go again as Bob Fleming decided to take the ###### out of me all night :)

Steady on! It wasn’t all night. You were stressing. “WHAT ARE THEY DOING!? WHERE ARE THEY GOING!? WHAT DO THEY DO IN TRAINING?!?” etc etc. All I did was suggest if that if you were going to panic, then you panicked quietly :lol: Anyway, Benni scored 10 seconds after that.

Great night, really enjoyed it. Good atmosphere. See you Sunday Capt.

Great result last night! Treated to 2 excellent goals form Benny & Bentley :tu:

Me & my 2 mates were up in the gods (Jack Walker stand) & came prepared for a UEFA game....Jack Daniels in hip flasks! ;)

After the game we met a bunch of Salzberg fans in the Fernhurst & had a drink & singsong with them. A good bunch of blokes they were too! Apparently one of the guys had been to Ewood before (he works for the company that installed the electronic turnstyle system) & has also done other clubs systems up & down the country.

All in all, a good evening. Hopefully the Rovers heirarchy will take note of the bigger walk-on crowd & continue their policy of reasonable pricing for future games. :tu:

I mostly agree there Rev, but the atmosphere still wasn't all that good IMO. At times it felt like nobody could be arsed.

Well from that statement I can only conclude that the TV technicians must have a recording of crowd noise that they add to the sound track when they think it is necessary!

List of teams we could get: -

Liberec

Sevilla

Wisła Krakow

Fenerbahçe

Dinamo Bucuresti

Austria Vienna

Rapid Bucuresti

Feyenoord

Beşiktaş

Celta Vigo

Espanyol

Eintracht

Sparta

Lens

Partizan

OB Odense

Palermo

Rangers

Grasshoppers Zurich

Ajax

Braga

Parma

Leverkusen

Nancy

Basel

Zulte Waregem

Newcastle

PSG

Mladá Boleslav

AZ

Tottenham

Livorno

H. Tel-Aviv

Club Brugge

Osasuna

Panathinaikos

Heerenveen

Auxerre

Maccabi Haifa

Great result-and Im glad that we have the chance to make our name in Europe. :D

The team played very well last night without really moving into top gear-which is good news. I'm still however looking forward to getting Nelsen back-once his leadership and quality is back we could have a real chance of another top 6 finish. We're still looking a little suspect at the back...all of that despite Ooijer and Zura having cracking games, which is quite strange.

Anyway, onwards and upwards!!

What I currently find amazing - is how the full backs are given apparent license to roam - reminds me a little bit of Man Utd during the 90's.

A point that I have made before about growlers in midfield with the wingers and full backs providing most of the service to the forwards. No prizes for guessing why that would be?

So that's the Bolton at home game moved back to the Sunday now? And the Fulham game too?

First home saturday 3PM kick off now looks like being Newcastle on December 9th!

Stand by for a record number of whingeing posts about that! :rolleyes:

My apologies to the public of Blackburn, lot's of you did turn out it seems.

Must say there were lots of different faces about before the match and at HT on the Riverside...... I had to inform 3 lots that we were the team in Blue and White halves! :rover:

here is the seeding

Pot 1:

Sevilla

Newcastle United

Panathinaikos

AC Parma

Ajax

Bayer Leverkusen

Feyenoord

AJ Auxerre

Pot 2:

Club Brugge

FC Basel

AZ Alkmaar

Sparta Praha

Glasgow Rangers

Celta de Vigo

Paris Saint-Germain

RC Lens

Pot 3:

Besiktas

Palermo

Espanyol

Heerenveen

Partizan Belgrade

Rapid Bucuresti

Wisla Kraków

Slovan Liberec

Pot 4:

Fenerbahce

Austria Wien

Hapoel Tel-Aviv

Osasuna

Blackburn Rovers

Grasshoppers Zürich

Dinamo Bucuresti

Livorno

Pot 5:

Tottenham Hotspur

Maccabi Haifa

Sporting Braga

AS Nancy Lorraine

Eintracht Frankfurt

Zulte Waregem

Mladá Boleslav

OB Odense

I'd say bring on barry 'mickey mouse' ferguson and his cartoon mates! :brfc:

So that's the Bolton at home game moved back to the Sunday now? And the Fulham game too?

First home saturday 3PM kick off now looks like being Newcastle on December 9th!

Would depends which 4 of the 5 dates we end up playing on, also some of the later ones are Wednesday/Thursday dates if playing Wednesday would not necessarily have to change from a Saturday??

Not necessarily. 5 teams in a group means one side wont play on each date. :tu:

Delighted after last night ... great performance from everyone!

Can't get over Emerton's form and the strike pairing looks good too.

If that doesn't inspire some great european nights at Ewood this season nothing will.

Does anyone know if the knock Nonda took on the knee towards the end has ruled him out for sunday? He didn't look to be moving very freely after it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.