BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn 2 - 0 Red Bull Salzburg

Ozz

OK don't wish to be rude

Whatever way you look at it, I couldnt care less about today crowd.

How good is it to have a team and manager who actually give a @#/? about Europe. Thats how you get Rovers fans in watching European games. Hopefully they will all want more after this.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of sad statto interest.

There was much made of Arsenal playing a team of eleven different nationalities in their recent Champs league game. We nearly matched it tonight with the starting eleven

Friedel - USA

Neill - Australia

Ooijer - Netherlands

Kizanishvili- Georgia

Emerton - Australia

Bentley -England

Tugay - Turkey

Savage - Wales

Gamst - Norway

MacCarthy - South Africa

Nondo - Congo

Bloody Aussies :)

Great game, and an absolute cracker from Bentley, I was lucky to be right behind where it would have landed if the goal wasn't there.

Very proud, great night to be a Rovers fan. Full marks to the croud, wonderful noise and nearly 19k isn't too bad considering that they only brought a couple hundred, if we had that crowd turn up every weekend we would have 20-25k every game.

Wonderful goals, Benni showed great trickery and that was a simply fantastic strike from Bentley, one of the best goals ever scored by a Rover. Last season we all commented on the fact that we had never had a season with that number of great goals, well who knows, maybe we'll do it again (blame it on the balls). Salzburg may not be the greatest side, but they have one of the best managers around, are full of confidance and have some good players, so we shouldn't think that it was a given, we know from experience that there are no givens in European football.

Fantastic.

Take off about 170 from that figure and you'll be closer. But fair credit to them, they did their bit.

To be fair, was just watching the French football program on 5 and they showed a game where the away team had only brought 5 supporters.

Emerton gets better and better each game, best RB in the league at the moment. He really is looking a £8million player that he was originally rated at, the only thing he needs now is a goal.

Zurab played well, although he looks dodgy when a ball is player over the top or between him and any player.

Never realised how dirty the Austrians were, Saltsburg put the Argies to shame tonight.

Only gripe was Hughes didnt bring on Gally earlier.

Its funny numpty Rovers the moon has disappeared since Oiijer has shown his true quality.

Very very happy!

Another clean sheet, team gelling, no weak links, but to be honest collectively and individually that had the look and feeling of Rovers still only achieving 75% of what they are capable of yet. There isn't the fluidity about the side that Rovers showed towards the end of last season and when we really click into the groove we are going to be fantastic.

Thought Benni and Chris (Nonda) looked a real threat all night and it was refreshing to see Benni looking so gutted about that missed header at the end of the first half- he really cared and it hurt him to miss like that.

Another clean sheet and Brett just gets berter and berter.

We shouldn't undersetimate the Austrians. Thankfully we were English so Spuds and WHam weren't lurking in the bottom half of the draw but Red Bull were one of the strongest teams we could have drawn with a great coaching set up and we totally nullified them. We can look forwards with confidence on the basis of that performance last night.

The Rovers crowd came over very well on TV- looked a great atmosphere at the end.

Watched it with the Newcastle and Parma games on adjacent screens. Newcastle are really poor and would have been embarassed last night except for two moments of sheer quality from Martins. Duff came on from the subs bench and the kindest thing you could say is he should have stayed on it. He is a million miles away from being the player he was at Rovers and is frankly now an embarassment to Rovers' greatest ever team.

Don't be mislead by the 3-0 scoreline for Parma; WHam could easily have won that game as they dominated the first 20 minutes when Parma couldn't cope with Tevez. Outstanding goalkeeping, getting tight and hard and three complete cock-ups in the West Ham defence won it for Parma. The last was hilarious, a three man last line pushed up for offside 40 yards from goal so Parma dinked a through ball from the centre circle and two runners went through from onside positions. It was like watching the parting of the Red Sea.

One final note. Those Potuguese officials were terrible. There are referees worse than in the Premiershipafter all!

How often have we made a mess of these games in the past? An expectant crowd, a real opportunity to progress while showing the more casual support how good we can be, The usual result is the opposite of last night.

For me the most pleasing aspects of last night were the team and the management showed they are committed to this competition and around 7000 walk-ons turned up to see a very good Rovers performance. If those 7,000 aren't convinced to come back on Sunday it's hard to know how they will be. Good to see the club heavily trailling the Chelsea game at £15 for ST holders and £18 for walk-ups. Hopefully JW will be sufficiently encouraged by last night's gate to continue the policy for the group stage.

.............. we know from experience that there are no givens in European football.

What about Shay up at Newcastle? ;)

Don't be mislead by the 3-0 scoreline for Parma; WHam could easily have won that game as they dominated the first 20 minutes when Parma couldn't cope with Tevez. Outstanding goalkeeping, getting tight and hard and three complete cock-ups in the West Ham defence won it for Parma. The last was hilarious, a three man last line pushed up for offside 40 yards from goal so Parma dinked a through ball from the centre circle and two runners went through from onside positions. It was like watching the parting of the Red Sea.

One final note. Those Potuguese officials were terrible. There are referees worse than in the Premiershipafter all!

I watched the highlights of the other game that WHam took part in last night at Palermo .... sounded a similar sort of game to the one you watched, they played quite well but did they really think they could stretch their squad so much and hope to progress on two fronts? ;)

Three monitors side-by-side in the Dubliner- kept focus on the Rovers game but the ball is in action only c.40 minutes in any 90 minute game so it was easy to keep peripheral vision on the screens either side of the Rovers' game.

Flopsy, if you say so, it must be the one. What on earth was the Ref doing at Ewood if he is suspended at home? Good job that Salzburg were basically just a bunch of ill-disciplined wussies. That ref would have had a riot on his hands if we had been playing a bunch of hard cases as he and his linesmen were utterly incapable of keeping control. I thought all the marginal decisions went against us by the way- don't know what it felt like in the ground.

Edited by philipl

Watched it with the Newcastle and Parma games on adjacent screens. Don't be mislead by the 3-0 scoreline for Parma; WHam could easily have won that game as they dominated the first 20 minutes when Parma couldn't cope with Tevez. Outstanding goalkeeping, getting tight and hard and three complete cock-ups in the West Ham defence won it for Parma. The last was hilarious, a three man last line pushed up for offside 40 yards from goal so Parma dinked a through ball from the centre circle and two runners went through from onside positions. It was like watching the parting of the Red Sea.

Was it Parma or Palermo Philip?

Excellent & thoroughly professional display last night!

ooijer is starting to look the business, can you imagine him & the Admiral, it'll be like the final bit of armour plating on a bomb proof defence (Then they have to get past Brad)

Is that the same Emerton???? He's looking the business, he allows Bentley what he needs (Space & time) by bombing on a covering back, his aussie mate on the other side just needs to sign now!

Like the front 2, improving all the time.

Sav & Tug's are also looking the business but everyone did their bit last night.

Good atmosphere, hopefully the walk-on's will keep coming and we can help turn round the attendances by maintaining an atmosphere.

Well done MH & MB

(And finally the curse is broken!) **** off sourness :rover:

Edited by daveoftherovers

How often have we made a mess of these games in the past? An expectant crowd, a real opportunity to progress while showing the more casual support how good we can be, The usual result is the opposite of last night.

For me the most pleasing aspects of last night were the team and the management showed they are committed to this competition and around 7000 walk-ons turned up to see a very good Rovers performance. If those 7,000 aren't convinced to come back on Sunday it's hard to know how they will be. Good to see the club heavily trailling the Chelsea game at £15 for ST holders and £18 for walk-ups. Hopefully JW will be sufficiently encouraged by last night's gate to continue the policy for the group stage.

It struck me walking away from the ground that there were more younger supporters than usual. If I am right, they are unlikely all to be at the cat A game against Wigan. However, if they can get the prices right for Europe, hopefully they'll be back for them.

Ok congrats to the lad but I am probably going to annoy some people now.

Got to agree with Philipl on the fluidity -lets hope the gelling is starting to set in.

Maybe its only early days or just me , but I am still not impressed with McCarthy and his how I can only decribe as nochalant laid back strut style of play. Fair do's he worked hard but he is not an friggin midfielder , he drops too far IMO and would not have scored that goal in the Premiership.

He might have scored a few goals but I think he could have scored more by now and I expect more from him. Thought Nonda worked his socks off - but please can they both stop showboating and just be more direct - really annoyed me in the last 10 mins when we could have gone for the jugular and crucified them with more goals.

There whinge over ...

Good win - decent crowd for a Thursday considering our recent numbers (still think more should have turned up though at £15)

Oojer getting better - anybody else think is style is very similar to Todd

Kish - had a good a game as I have seen from him for a while.

Neil - Also had a good game - starting to show his commitment again?

Emerton - listen /read .... everybody my .. yes my MOM. :tu:

MGP - better than recently - is he back to form.

Savage & Tugs - Savage not my favourite player but thought these two controlled the game.

Bentley - except for his goal - personally I thought he had a poor game.

Friedal - Did what he had to do

So we are through - Excellent - just a shame I don't have any holidays left to make it a European Jaunt

Once again weel done to the SPARKY and the team.

BTW - Don't know if should go again as Bob Fleming decided to take the ###### out of me all night :)

Edited by CAPT KAYOS

Travelled from Hull last night to watch it and was treated to a bit of a show.

Was impressed with Nonda & McCarthy looked a formiddable partnership.

Ooijer looked solid and did some excellent work at the back looking after Zurab.

Neill and Emerton looked comfortable and made some decent runs.

Savage put himself about, but for me the man of the match had to be Tugay, he was a different class he strung pass after pass together and rarely lost the ball.

If Trappatoni thinks we can win the UEFA cup then I think we can win it too

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.