BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

I'd really prefer us not to sell Benni, but if we could bring in someone better than ok. However I have a bad feeling that the other person is going to be Nathan Ellington - it has been in the telegraph a few weeks ago (in the middle of the Burnley celebrations) and that would most definately be a step backwards.

• Backroom

I know ellington isn't a good option what I meant is if Sam is wanting to bring him in I'd rather get rid of Jason to get him. I'm also basing it on the assumption that Franco's loan is extended

McCarthy is the best finisher at the club. Even when he was out of sorts last season he still managed 10 goals in 18 starts.

The problem concerns Sam's inflexible attitude towards his formation. Why are Dunn & McCarthy mutually exclusive options?

McCarthy is the best finisher at the club. Even when he was out of sorts last season he still managed 10 goals in 18 starts.

The problem concerns Sam's inflexible attitude towards his formation. Why are Dunn & McCarthy mutually exclusive options?

The problem is Benni is not physically enough and cannot play the lone forward while Sam feels Dunn would neglect the defensive midfield duties needed for a central or wide midfielder so we can't play 4-4-2.

Sam thinks the only solution is to play either off a strong front man.

Sam is trying to play players in their best/natural positions, if he has to do that then he can't fit McCarthy and Dunn both into the team. I think everyone here would prefer McCarthy got back to his best and stayed with us, but if we get results without him then I won't complain.

Or sam is maybe trying to fit players into his 'system' not find a system for his players?

Why can't we 'try' a spurs sort of formation when they had modric wide left but basically cutting inside to be just behind the main strikers.

This 4-5-1 'target man' crap must be the most depressing thing to happen to this club in a while. Funny thing is tho we actulay have some good football players, which is totally bypassed by the route one hoofball we play.

For benni's sake i hope he gets a move to play in the world cup, cos while BFS is here we shall only be looking to play some sort of Davies clone uptop.

Bad times...

Benni and Dunn are only mutually exclusive because we have Andrews playing in central midfield. Sort out that position and Benni and Dunn would be a lethal combination.

There's the rub!

Comparing goalkeepers and outfield players? Apples & oranges, Theno.

Just employing a touch of sarcasm Topman. ;)

Or sam is maybe trying to fit players into his 'system' not find a system for his players?

Why can't we 'try' a spurs sort of formation when they had modric wide left but basically cutting inside to be just behind the main strikers.

This 4-5-1 'target man' crap must be the most depressing thing to happen to this club in a while. Funny thing is tho we actulay have some good football players, which is totally bypassed by the route one hoofball we play.

For benni's sake i hope he gets a move to play in the world cup, cos while BFS is here we shall only be looking to play some sort of Davies clone uptop.

Bad times...

Sometimes I think it would have been better to stick with Ince and have let him take us down. We'd have found our rightful place in English football, crowds would have halved, we'd have had to decide whether to have another pint int th'avvy or go to the match at about 3.05, but at least we'd be well rid of the moaners and the johnny cum lately's and the Mancs would be saddled with them.

btw.....Quote "Or sam is maybe trying to fit players into his 'system' not find a system for his players?" Can you rem Alf Ramseys team winning the World Cup? I can and it hasn't happened since cos over the past 40 years our national managers have been weak and influenced more by FA politics than the intention of the exercise, the press pick their team of press darlings almost exclusively from the big 4 for them and they end up playing media favourites out of position and rendering them and the team ineffective.

Edited by thenodrog
  • Like 1

Are you comparing Allardyce with Ramsay? You don't half talk some crap.

Fact is we look best when playing 4-4-2. We did under Souness. We did under Hughes. We did under Ince. We still have plenty of players left from those regimes. We looked best last year doing it when Allardyce first came in. Even at Old Trafford we looked better once we had two up front. We don't have the players necessary to play 4-5-1, the main reason being that we don't have pace. We can't properly support a loan striker because our players can't get forward fast enough. In the games when our team is actually better it does work because we are able to retain possession and have sustained attacks, but this would be true in a 4-4-2 as well. As of yet there has been little evidence that the extra midfielder adds to our defensive strength. This formation clearly isn't working, that is why we are in the relegation zone. It leads to one of our best players (Benni) being on the bench, our big summer signing (McCarthy) being on the bench and also seems to require that our least talented central midfielder (Andrews) plays in every game.

• Like 2

Are you comparing Allardyce with Ramsay? You don't half talk some crap.

Fact is we look best when playing 4-4-2. We did under Souness. We did under Hughes. We did under Ince. We still have plenty of players left from those regimes. We looked best last year doing it when Allardyce first came in. Even at Old Trafford we looked better once we had two up front. We don't have the players necessary to play 4-5-1, the main reason being that we don't have pace. We can't properly support a loan striker because our players can't get forward fast enough. In the games when our team is actually better it does work because we are able to retain possession and have sustained attacks, but this would be true in a 4-4-2 as well. As of yet there has been little evidence that the extra midfielder adds to our defensive strength. This formation clearly isn't working, that is why we are in the relegation zone. It leads to one of our best players (Benni) being on the bench, our big summer signing (McCarthy) being on the bench and also seems to require that our least talented central midfielder (Andrews) plays in every game.

There you go again eddie..... I had directed that question at meangreenmachine. Why do you feel the need to interrupt?

Tell you what ...... If I want to know how many players are in a football team, where the centre circle is or even where the corner flags are positioned I promise I'll ask you....... is that OK?

Edited by thenodrog
  • Like 3
  • Downvote 2

Did this dreaded 4-4-1-1 not bring three home wins this season?

All of this yelling on the back of three murderous away games...it's unreal.

I'm glad that now your own thread is closed that you have clicked around and found out how incredibly stupid many of those you thought of as your devotees are. I've had to put up with the thick sods for bloody years! :angry2: Can you not find some column space to publish some of the most ludicrous comments for the nation? It'd be a laff if nowt else.

• Downvote 3

Sam is trying to play players in their best/natural positions, if he has to do that then he can't fit McCarthy and Dunn both into the team. I think everyone here would prefer McCarthy got back to his best and stayed with us, but if we get results without him then I won't complain.

Dunny behind Benni and Kalinic/ Di Santo, in a 4-4-2 formation. Both in the same team, Dunn the provider, 1 striker either Kalinic or Di Santo holding the ball up, and Benni to finish. Diouf down the right, Bert behind Dunny and Pedersen down the left.

Dunny behind Benni and Kalinic/ Di Santo, in a 4-4-2 formation. Both in the same team, Dunn the provider, 1 striker either Kalinic or Di Santo holding the ball up, and Benni to finish. Diouf down the right, Bert behind Dunny and Pedersen down the left.

I think the only team that plays with an attacking midfielder behind a front two is Chelsea, and that's because they've got the best selection of central midfielders to choose from to protect behind.

Other Premier League teams don't play that way, we'd get absolutely murdered doing it. I'm not saying Dunn can't play a midfield four, but it wouldn't be in a position anything like what he's been playing at the moment. If anything it would have to be a deep-lying play maker role, because he doesn't have the legs to support both attack and defence.

Why is it our team is 4-5-1 with Dunn in the team, yet would be considered 4-4-2 if McCarthy was in it, despite the fact they would both play in the same position?

I agree with the point you're making but I'm going to play devils advocate anyway.

Dunny has an upper limit as to how far forward he'll get - for example he'll never be lurking at the back post for a tap in, which considering the position he is supposed to be playing is probably fair enough. On the other hand Dunny will drop far back to get the ball and help out the midfield, as far as our final defensive third on some occasions. Benni however will likely be on hand for that tap in, but be much less likely to track back.

Circa 75% of the time they would be occupying very similar territory, but the other 25% they will be going in completely opposite directions. Thus making Benni playing closer to 4-4-2 than when Dunny is on.

In theory.

• Like 5

Can you not find some column space to publish some of the most ludicrous comments for the nation? It'd be a laff if nowt else.

..... it might be just me Theno but I feel some people on here may see some irony in this comment :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.