BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Good performance, helped turn things around. He's come on and put in effort everytime he's been asked to this season and no one can fault him for his application and attitude. He has to stay and, more importantly, he has to play. Can we give up on trying to be a rebranded Bolton and play two up front please, a formation where we are quite clearly better.

• Like 5

Benni is and always has been a class act. We don't have enough class as it is at Ewood to be able to keep Benni on the bench.

It's just that he's not fit. If he was I'm sure he'd be a starter.

Sam pretty much said as much before the game today on Radio Rovers.

Until Benni sorts himself out, he'll be restricted to a super sub role.

• Downvote 5

It's just that he's not fit. If he was I'm sure he'd be a starter.

Sam pretty much said as much before the game today on Radio Rovers.

Until Benni sorts himself out, he'll be restricted to a super sub role.

Hasn't Benni had swine flu and that was what Sam was referring to.

Hasn't Benni had swine flu and that was what Sam was referring to.

That wasn't what he was insinuating. It was more general. "We both know what Benni needs to do and if he can do that he'll be in the first team".

Makes me wonder if there has been some propaganda to get a reaction. It certainly worked today.

But for a few ill-advised flicks, he was superb when he came on.

Propaganda to get a reaction? He's clearly fit enough to play how he plays. Based on his performance today, in the cups, last season he deserves to play.

He's fit enough for half a game with a point to prove.

He had a poor spell prior to being dropped, some people have short memories.

We had so many offsides in the first half today, Benni might as well have been on from the start! :rolleyes:

• Downvote 4

Its obvious he hasnt had a chance this season. He has been shunned out.

He wont get one anytime soon either.

Speak to people who KNOW the story. He hasnt been doing the business on the training ground and hasnt even passed the required fitness tests that the players are subjected to.

Attitude problem, likes too many big macs and beers and has a seriously big headed attitude according to many.

Once he knuckles down there is no doubting his class.

I would LOVE a back to basic Benni McCarthy in a Rovers shirt becasue he has the class, he has gotten too big for his boots and needed a reality check.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 4

How anyone can question Benni after today is beyond me.

There is no question that in pure talent McCarthy is one of the best around. Its the attitude that I question. In his first season he was motivated by his desire for a move to Chelsea and didn't he make sure everybody knew? Right now he wants to secure his South Africa place at the World Cup.So I guess its wise to use him! After that who knows?

btw.....Quote "Or sam is maybe trying to fit players into his 'system' not find a system for his players?" Can you rem Alf Ramseys team winning the World Cup? I can and it hasn't happened since cos over the past 40 years our national managers have been weak and influenced more by FA politics than the intention of the exercise, the press pick their team of press darlings almost exclusively from the big 4 for them and they end up playing media favourites out of position and rendering them and the team ineffective.

Are you comparing Allardyce with Ramsay? You don't half talk some crap.

Right on cue eddie!!! You don't half put your foot in it with amazing regularity.:lol: Ramsey ditched the wingers and effectively played 4-3-3 with 3 strikers. He was derided for his team of 'wingless wonders' until Bobby Moore lifted the World Cup that is. Yesterday 2nd half SA did the same.

Talking crap about football eddie? You are the master. :P

Right on cue eddie!!! You don't half put your foot in it with amazing regularity.:lol: Ramsey ditched the wingers and effectively played 4-3-3 with 3 strikers. He was derided for his team of 'wingless wonders' until Bobby Moore lifted the World Cup that is. Yesterday 2nd half SA did the same.

Talking crap about football eddie? You are the master. :P

At the end of the day Gord, what yesterday showed was that playing 3 strikers would be a better option than the ineffective Diouf and MGP. The system worked like a treat, with Dunny and Bert in central midfield, and Roberts and Benni out wide and linking up with Di Santo. You could add Nzonzi in the midfield as well when we playing away, and then have Kalinic with Di Santo when we at home. In so doing when we away, we still have 2 strikers, but with Benni and Roberts in midfield if that makes any sense.

• Downvote 1

it does, benni would be starting most if not every game if i was gaffer

We had a couple of drinks in Blues with one of your fellow Northern Ireland Rovers fans last night after the game ... one who enjoys autograph hunting and therefore spoke to Benni Mac as he left Ewood Park.

Benni is determined to leave the club in January because he doesn't fit in to the Allardyce game plan. As forecast.

Which is an absolute travesty from where I'm sitting, he's our best striker and one of the few players left on our books with a bit of flair and skill. To read a story in the press this morning that Allardyce wants to replace Benni with a player nicknamed "The Tank" makes me want to weep.

I suspect that Hoilett not wanting to sign a new deal at Rovers is down to the exact same reason. At his age, blessed with skill and pace, but watching Allardyce football for the last 3 months ... why would he want to stay? Where would his attributes fit in??

• Like 4
  • Downvote 2

McCarthy has only himself to blame for his lack of match time this season.

He returned to the club clearly overweight after a summer of excess, was plainly unfit at the start of the season and since then has shown little inclination to buckle down and work for a living as Allardyce rightly demands of all his players.

In these straitened times McCarthy is a luxury Rovers cannot afford.

Time to move on.

• Like 6
  • Downvote 4

McCarthy has only himself to blame for his lack of match time this season.

He returned to the club clearly overweight after a summer of excess, was plainly unfit at the start of the season and since then has shown little inclination to buckle down and work for a living as Allardyce rightly demands of all his players.

In these straitened times McCarthy is a luxury Rovers cannot afford.

Time to move on.

Firstly nice post Tris.

But Jim, even with the state that Benni is in, he is still one of the clubs top players!

Benni is determined to leave the club in January because he doesn't fit in to the Allardyce game plan. As forecast.

Makes a change for us when a top player leaves us for being bad, not good. I would be gutted to see him go, I really rate him. Some of the football he has played in front of me in the last few years was breathtaking, and I suppose I just want to see more of it before the inevitable happens. Looks like I won't. :(

Edited by ozziejones

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.