BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

With a bit of luck we might have a Tugay-Savage situation growing here. Tugay seemed to be over the hill before Savage came to the club, but with Sav on the other central midfield spot Tugay could concentrate on his passing and skill while leaving all his running to a deranged Welshman. The seasons he played with a fit Savage were probably the best Tugs ever had for Rovers.

Benni has looked overweight and slow (albeit still dangerous in front of goal) for the last two seasons, but today he played in an attacking midfield role not demanding that much running since Emerton, N´Zonzi and Pedersen all have good engines that can make up for Benni's lack of it. Just what we need to give him an indian summer like Tugay had.

Hope so, one of the best finishers in Europe in my opinion and I think he would get fitter with game. 4-3-3 suits our players more but I don't think Benni can count on getting too many games even in that formation when Dunn gets back.

Let's hope last night sees the end of Diouf, completely pointless to have him in the team in my opinion...

Its simple - give Benni a chance and he will take it...

Give Roberts 3 chances and he might just take 1....

For me the only player that should be let go (although not until summer) is Jason Roberts as he is not top 10 premier league class.

Ha Ha - If Andy Cole needed four chances to score, there is no way Roberts takes 1 in 3!

Notice I said 'Might' - he might not either :lol:

Kalinic has a bright future. Di Santo too - sign him up and we have 2 very promising young strikers who could form a great partnership.

Can't believe this wasn't brought back to the top after Saturday. Benni was absolutely outstanding in my view against Liverpool. He played the Dunn role differently to Dunny, but just as effectively, he hardly wasted a ball and some of his touches were exquisite.

When he plays like that its a no brainer that he must stay. Just wish it happened more often.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Dunn returns, it would be hard to drop Benni after that.

.................... Robbo

Chimbonda Samba Nelsen Givet

.................. N'Zonzi

..Emerton ..................... Diouf

........... Dunn .. McCarthy

................. Di Santo

That could work? A bit harsh on Grella maybe as he was excellent too, although I guess we have to work on the presumption that he's going to be injured again soon.

I'd go with something similar LeChuck - but I'd pick Grella instead of Diouf. That way you could have a midfield three of Emerton, Grella and N'Zonzi - with Dunn and McCarthy playing off Di Santo. Dunn and McCarthy could play pretty much a free role and that would be a nightmare to defend against.

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Dunn returns, it would be hard to drop Benni after that.

.................... Robbo

Chimbonda Samba Nelsen Givet

.................. N'Zonzi

..Emerton ..................... Diouf

........... Dunn .. McCarthy

................. Di Santo

That could work? A bit harsh on Grella maybe as he was excellent too, although I guess we have to work on the presumption that he's going to be injured again soon.

Sorry mate, no chance! No way you can have Diouf, Dunn, McCarthy and Di Santo in the same team. If we were going to play both Dunn and McCarthy (which I doubt will really happen) then the only real way to do it imo is:-

------Di Santo------McCarthy

---------------Dunn

----Grella---NZonzi----Emerton

Givet--Nelsen---Samba---Chimbonda

-------------Robinson

Its fair enough having a lot of attacking players but we need to keep defensive solidarity which means having the fitness and the workrate on the pitch. Also I could see McCarthy and Dunn crowding each other as they operate in the same areas. I personally would go for one or the other in the hole and Kalinic and Di Santo up front running the channels and the back line.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Can't believe this wasn't brought back to the top after Saturday. Benni was absolutely outstanding in my view against Liverpool. He played the Dunn role differently to Dunny, but just as effectively, he hardly wasted a ball and some of his touches were exquisite.

When he plays like that its a no brainer that he must stay. Just wish it happened more often.

Remember who or what Benni is playing for... He's playing for a move away, he's put himself in the shop window already this season.

I don't think I'd have described his contribution as outstanding verses Liverpool but he didn't do too badly. Still a too many off-sides and too much waving his arms about.

Sorry mate, no chance! No way you can have Diouf, Dunn, McCarthy and Di Santo in the same team. If we were going to play both Dunn and McCarthy (which I doubt will really happen) then the only real way to do it imo is:-

------Di Santo------McCarthy

---------------Dunn

----Grella---NZonzi----Emerton

Givet--Nelsen---Samba---Chimbonda

-------------Robinson

Its fair enough having a lot of attacking players but we need to keep defensive solidarity which means having the fitness and the workrate on the pitch. Also I could see McCarthy and Dunn crowding each other as they operate in the same areas. I personally would go for one or the other in the hole and Kalinic and Di Santo up front running the channels and the back line.

I'm not sure that is more solid though, I think we'd get hammered down the flanks using that kind of formation. It worked against Chelsea because they play a diamond, but against other teams our full backs would be really exposed.

Diouf is very good defensively and retains the ball well. Having Dunn and McCarthy behind Di Santo means we can go 4-5-1 in defence (McCarthy did some good defensive work on Saturday). Emerton and Diouf could be defensive wide players, tucking in sometimes where necessary if McCarthy and Dunn get caught too far up.

Edited by LeChuck

Totally agree, I've said that Benni should stay for the rest of the season as he is simply the best goalscorer we currently have to offload him now would be madness equally bringing in Beattie would be madness of ther highest order.

The other key thing is Benni has a target now in the world cup, so surely Benni is going to be on top of his game from now on as he counts down to that world cup in the summer.

Edited by JAL

I've not been Benni's biggest fan for a while now ( cos of attitude and application) but he has played well against Chelsea and Liverpool in the last 7 days.

The frustrating thing is why can't he do it every week. It's never been ability that's in question.

Remember who or what Benni is playing for... He's playing for a move away, he's put himself in the shop window already this season.

I don't think I'd have described his contribution as outstanding verses Liverpool but he didn't do too badly. Still a too many off-sides and too much waving his arms about.

How many times was he caught offside? :blink:

I dont believe Benni is angling for a move - yes his agent is, but I dont believe its Benni's desire - he simply wants 1st team football and to be honest with his ability its only fair!

I dont believe Benni is angling for a move - yes his agent is, but I dont believe its Benni's desire - he simply wants 1st team football and to be honest with his ability its only fair!

He wants to play in a World Cup in his own country, to boost his chances he will need to play football week in week out. If an offer comes in January that offers him that and the club are happy with the fee he will be off. Benni has been playing well recently but I get the impression that Sam doesn't rate him or feel he is a key part of his future plans.

I guess we will see how much Sam rates him when Dunny is back and fully fit, I suspect that Benni will be back on the bench when that happens.

Edited by RibbleValleyRover

I would like to see Benni stay, as he can add much needed quality to the team (when he wants too!). Given Dunn's track record, obviously, we need to be very careful with him. Hopefully this recent injury does not act as a trigger....

Benni is in the shop window right now looking to attract an offer for first team football prior to the WC. For me, this could explain his recent resurgence in form.

But I'm hoping that by reminding Sam what he's capable of he might convince him to find a way to keep him in the side. A deeper role, could mean he is interchangeable with Dunn. Although, if Dunn stays fit, Benni may sulk which could upset team morale. If Dunn isn't fit though, he could be worth his weight in gold.

The alternative, playing him alongside Di Santo or Roberts, means he gets caught offside with alarming regularity.

On the opposite side of the coin, a happy, playing Benni, with a World Cup in sight, would be a massive asset.

Plus, I would hate to see him go to a PL rival - he is still a class act.

Yep, Benni was superb against Liverpool. No way can we afford to let him leave in January.

He's off side too often in general. My issue is that he's playing to manufacture a move away from our club. He has already stated that he has spoken to Aaron about a move, hoping Pompey would pay him silly money for a move down there. I think he'll be off given the first opportunity in January.

On the other side of the coin, if I am right and he is playing to manufacture a move away, then playing well will only up his price tag and Big Sam has already said he won't go on the cheap and not until he's found a replacement.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.