BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

I think I'd go with

Emerton Dunn N'Zonzi Van Heerden

At least we'd have two wide players with some pace and at least one central player who isn't likely to break down.

I'm not sure why people are picking Grella ahead of N'Zonzi, he's done nothing in his 15/16 months with us to suggest he's anything more than a backup player.

Grella's classy when fit. He does the job of defensive midfielder very well. Granted he's never fit, but this is a theoretical discussion is it not? As for N'Zonzi I like him a lot, but he needs someone along side him to tell him where to be - which is why our midfield has been so poor when Keith 'headless chicken' Andrews has been partnering him.

I'd play the Emerton, N'Zonzi and Grella three behind Dunn if we had two full backs able to get up and down the wing. Sadly we don't have one at left back unless Chimbonda is pushed back there and Jacobsen starts at right back again.

I think Sam's selection for Bolton will be very interesting, and very difficult. He's going to upset someone in the squad at least with his selection. Going off the Portsmouth game, Di Santo, Dunn, Roberts and McCarthy, all should start.. but only 2 of them can. On one hand it's good that he has this selection headache because it seems we have good depth in the squad, but I can't help but think it will isolate some players and cause friction...

• 2 weeks later...

I know 2 subs were enforced today, but find it hard to believe that Benni Mac does not get any mins on the pitch, especially when we are playing at home.

He has proven quality, flair and can score goals.

Edited by John

I know 2 subs were enforced today, but find it hard to believe that Benni Mac does not get any mins on the pitch, especially when we are playing at home.

He has proven quality, flair and can score goals.

Yep he should have come on when Pedersen did, McCarthy has always looked dangerous when cutting in from the left hand side.

Yep he should have come on when Pedersen did, McCarthy has always looked dangerous when cutting in from the left hand side.

Strongly disagree! He should have come on instead of Roberts. I don't think Di Santo and Roberts complement each other one bit.

Edited by thenodrog

Who can blame him for wanting out ....scandlous way he's treated.

Exactly.

Either they have had some very deep falling out with BFS, or I don't know what's going on. Where exactly are we going to find another player with the sheer talent of Benni?

let me guess - we won't replace him either.

• Like 1

Well some of you, moans when Benni doesnt run around and doesnt work hard. Well, in Di Santo and Roberts we got 2 hard working strikers who offer no goal scoring threat. If Benni was on the end of those 2 Di Santo chances, we would have seen goals. Benni, Kalinic, Van Heerden and Hoiliett are all being frozen out by a stupid idiot. Benni would be a better option than Di Santo, Hoiliett would be better than Diouf, Van Heerden better than Andrews, and Kalinic deserves more of a regular start. We cannot afford to keep playing the likes of Andrews, Diouf, Grella and Di Santo. Like i said before, we cant just depend on a hardworking striker, if he cant score goals. Benni might be lazy, but how a player of his goal scoring ability finds himself on the bench, is beyond unbelievable.

Too right gord but i still cant beleieve he doesnt start week in week out.Quality players should play especially as our finance ditactate we wont be able to replace a player of his talent.

Well some of you, moans when Benni doesnt run around and doesnt work hard. Well, in Di Santo and Roberts we got 2 hard working strikers who offer no goal scoring threat. If Benni was on the end of those 2 Di Santo chances, we would have seen goals. Benni, Kalinic, Van Heerden and Hoiliett are all being frozen out by a stupid idiot. Benni would be a better option than Di Santo, Hoiliett would be better than Diouf, Van Heerden better than Andrews, and Kalinic deserves more of a regular start. We cannot afford to keep playing the likes of Andrews, Diouf, Grella and Di Santo. Like i said before, we cant just depend on a hardworking striker, if he cant score goals. Benni might be lazy, but how a player of his goal scoring ability finds himself on the bench, is beyond unbelievable.

its like ian rush he never used to get around the pitch but was worth his weight in goals to the scousers.

Guest Kamy100

I am afraid that Benni is on his way out.

Yesterday was the perfect opportunity to play him when Dunn was unfortunately injured, but instead Roberts was bought on and we went with the physical route. It is such a shame, I agree that he can be lazy at times but there is no denying that he adds quality in the final third and is the best goalscorer that we have.

Benni is frustrated and angry because he feels that he is better than what we have out there at the moment. Come January there will be a host of clubs wanting to sign him up, I just hope that Rovers do not sell him to the likes of Pompey, Hull or Bolton because that decision could come back and haunt us.

its like ian rush he never used to get around the pitch but was worth his weight in goals to the scousers.

Are you sure Abbs? Rush worked very hard up front on his own in Lpool's 4-4-1-1 (btw does that sound familiar?) by running down opposing defenders when they were endeavouring to build from the back. I rem he was frequently referred to as Liverpools best defender. I must admit though that he was not the same player when he came back from Juventus.

Edited by thenodrog

Too right gord but i still cant beleieve he doesnt start week in week out.Quality players should play especially as our finance ditactate we wont be able to replace a player of his talent.

I don't dispute that. Many managers with limited finances would build a team around talents like Benny, Dunny and Tugay. Unfortunately I think it's possible that Benny and Tugay have been their own worst enemies in terms of attitude and application. Like it or lump it there can only be one manager at a club. Without knowing any inside info I do know that Allardyce is no fool and would not let talent like theirs go without a lot of thought. Rem he is the manager who built strong Bolton sides around the extravagent and precocious talents of Djorkaef, Okocha and Campo.

Are you sure Abbs? Rush worked very hard up front on his own in Lpool's 4-4-1-1 (btw does that sound familiar?) by running down opposing defenders when they were endeavouring to build from the back. I rem he was frequently referred to as Liverpools best defender. I must admit though that he was not the same player when he came back from Juventus.

memory must be guinessed or back then boddied but alls i remember his him on the 6 yd line.

• Backroom

Yep he played well, looked knackered at the end, he has to learn though he can't do all his tricks when playing in midfield it's too risky.

Did anyone doubt for a second when he got it at the end he'd score? shame the flag went up as Benni doesn't miss those.

With a bit of luck we might have a Tugay-Savage situation growing here. Tugay seemed to be over the hill before Savage came to the club, but with Sav on the other central midfield spot Tugay could concentrate on his passing and skill while leaving all his running to a deranged Welshman. The seasons he played with a fit Savage were probably the best Tugs ever had for Rovers.

Benni has looked overweight and slow (albeit still dangerous in front of goal) for the last two seasons, but today he played in an attacking midfield role not demanding that much running since Emerton, N´Zonzi and Pedersen all have good engines that can make up for Benni's lack of it. Just what we need to give him an indian summer like Tugay had.

Edited by Commondore

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.