BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reading 1 Rovers 2

philipl

Just got back from the Majestic Stadium and while the celebrtion chicken is in the oven, I'll give my thoughts.

Firstly it wasn't us who were booing Neill. It was the Reading fans after an early foul (or perhaps they know about Neill's situation and were told to boo him!)

Secondly to all those lovely Reading fans who mocked our celebrations three times after the linesman's antics, wipe that pie off your faces! The most beautiful and poetic sight I had seen that day was the very same Reading fans legging it to the exit with their tails well and truly between their legs.

The first half was awful awful. Rovers didn't have a clue howw to pass forward and Reading gave them a lesson in getting into space and passing the ball. Ooijer had a good block but I can't remember who was to blame for their goal. The nearest defender should have been alert to that.

The second half for me felt like Birmingham away in 2003. A substitution at half time and the whole game changes. The midfield shape changed and Rovers actually did manage to keep possession when they were put under pressure. Well done in particular to Gamst. Benni who became quite disheartened before his goal looked like he was sulking and wasn't bothered about Rovers anymore. Good goal and I guess wee can forgive him getting booked for his frustrations.

Bentley - what a beauty.

:brfc:

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey handbag............... Thanks for your honesty.

I was not looking forward to todays game - you seem so strong at home, and we seem so weak away from home.

But, at last Rovers have shown some fighting spirit, and God, ho we needed it.

You have made a great start in the PL and deserve to be where you are..............good luck

COME ON YOU BLUES!

We are usually ridiculously strong outfit at home. Before today, the only teams to beat us at the Madejski since the opening day of 05/06 (Aug 05) were Chelsea and Arsenal. Coppell's comments ring true. Our players let themselves down for the first time this season.

Onto the 3 disallowed goals and the mocking gestures we make, yeah it needs a majorly large slice of humble pie. Although it was quite funny to see you 3 times off your seats celebrating when it was clear all 3 times the linesman had put his flag up well before the ball was placed in the net!!

yeah but its as close to getting a goal as we've been recently

I havent seen the game yet, but what Ive heard so far this season I think Reading will do really well this season. Its next year you'll have to worry about

No wonder you were getting excited then ;)

Next year is my worry. We'll be ok this season, but next season the 2nd season syndrome will kick in probably. That's when we'll have to start showing our character and spirit (2 things which were lacking today). Not only that, I fear if we start badly and progressively slump then the supposed "new fans" will go back to supporting Chelsea.

No wonder you were getting excited then ;)

Next year is my worry. We'll be ok this season, but next season the 2nd season syndrome will kick in probably. That's when we'll have to start showing our character and spirit (2 things which were lacking today). Not only that, I fear if we start badly and progressively slump then the supposed "new fans" will go back to supporting Chelsea.

And we certainly know how that feels Handbags! Anyway not to worry; your lot will survive and find their own level in the Prem same as we have done and Wigan as well. Good luck. :tu:

What roller coaster ride emotionally. Whatching the first half I was really regretting my stance of saying we'll be alright, we're not going down because finally I was becoming conviced we were doomed. Very lethargic, no fight, no hustle the heads looked to be dropping and in all honesty I thought we were beaten by half time. Even more ###### off a McCarthy for not moving to the ball, defenders constantly nip round him and take the ball while he waits for it to get to him. Same in the air doesn't bother.

Second half was much better, I was just lamenting the fact that yet again the official, Poll had a good game I thought so linesman, had cost us two points when Bentley smacked in the winner.

Two of Benni's offsides were but the second he was on side. What ever happened to attacker getting the benefit of doubt and daylight between the defender and attacker.

As I mentioned I thought Poll was about the best ref I've seen for us, others would have for sure yellowed McCarthy's dive in the box and perhaps Pedersens high foot

Happy boy today.

Poor dingles, lost a 2 goal lead to a supposedly very ordinary Sunderland side. Shame

Edited by USABlue

Having predicted a loss for this game I am Roverjoyed at the result :P

Thats 3 points closer to the 40 point barrier and its anothr win in the bag.

Hats off to Rovers for the comeback, now its off to the newest stadium in the Premiership, I wonder what odds for a Rovers win ?

Hats off to Rovers for the comeback, now its off to the newest stadium in the Premiership, I wonder what odds for a Rovers win ?

Very very long!

I honestly think once Reid, Emerton and Nelsen are fit, Roberts is available, we have Dunn (if he comes)as an option on the bench and a left back, and perhaps another striker once Nonda is packed off (has to almost be a certainty now?) we will not only be a decent side but a really good one.

In the meantime we are treading water though. We shouldn't be dispirited if lose at the Emirates providing we put the effort in.

Just watched the highlights on MOTD. 1st goal offside, 2nd goal onside, 3rd goal offside. As for the dive, surprised McCarthy wasn't booked :blink: Most unlike Poll to get something wrong :) Bentley's goal was wonderful. Must be a contender for goal of the season. Brilliant. Onwards and upwards

Having predicted a loss for this game I am Roverjoyed at the result :P

Thats 3 points closer to the 40 point barrier and its anothr win in the bag.

just seen the game on motd, what a screamer from bentley :rover:

benni is now susspended for arsenal after picking up 5 bookings? or will he miss the scousers on boxing day?

I was impressed by Benni. He's a bit of a sulk, but he put in some effort and even though he has 5 goals ruled out for offside in the past two games I still think it is impressive that he has taken 6 out of 6. At times he is being a bit lazy, at times it is because he is gambling and it hasn't quite worked out, but I'm not worried about it. Once again I have to ask why we couldn't play the stuff we did in the second in the first, would have been a stroll in the park. At least this time we can put it down to the formation, please don't go back to 4-5-1 Hughes, even with Benni out for the next game.

Please can somebody link me to Bentley's goal???

you should have been there mate, that goal have been on replay in my head since I left Madjeski! :) and I got it refreshed about 20 mins ago when it was on match of the day!!!

gotta love it :rover:

I'm still unbeaten on away travels this season, and now I'm going back to Norway for a peaceful christmas....

Nice win. Defending for first goal was poor and McCarthy's petulance was embarrassing. Bentley's goal, cracking.

People still wanting dogs of war 4-5-1 away from home?

I think Hughes failed completely with his tactics in the 1st half tbh!! we were absolutely aweful, players out of position, players shouting at each other for doing mistakes....

In the 2nd half we put on a decent team in a well known formation (Hughes might have had some words with the players as well, Bentley certainly didn't wanna tell what he said on telly :)) and we were all over them for the whole half, especially the first 25-30 mins!

McCarthy have now scored 6 'goals' in the last to games with only one of them counting :P

EDIT: preston blue: no Gabriella to be seen :(

Edited by pks1984

I think Hughes failed completely with his tactics in the 1st half tbh!! we were absolutely aweful, players out of position, players shouting at each other for doing mistakes....

In the 2nd half we put on a decent team in a well known formation (Hughes might have had some words with the players as well, Bentley certainly didn't wanna tell what he said on telly :)) and we were all over them for the whole half, especially the first 25-30 mins!

McCarthy have now scored 6 'goals' in the last to games with only one of them counting :P

EDIT: preston blue: no Gabriella to be seen :(

That hurts to read that, but it's so bloody true.

I know its tough to lose a game like that handbags, but you guys are a good side and I'm sure that you won't have any problems staying up this year, thank you for your contribution to the board. Don't feel too bad about losing to us, we are a better side then our league position indicates and hopefully we will be up around your lot in a not too distant future.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.