SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reading 1 Rovers 2

philipl

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a minute, isn't the trip on Benni then in the same category as Tugay's trip he conceded a penalty and got sent off for?

i.e. accidental

And add me to the list. Well done Mr Poll (now there are words that aren't heard too often). So to the key - consistency between refs.

Andy Gray also said he'd phoned Graham Poll to ask about this particular incident, Poll saw the contact and judged it to be accidental so not a penalty, but not a dive either. So he allowed play to go on and no yellow for Benni.

Why would Andy Gray do that?? Does he phone the Ref every time twinkle toes Ronaldo doesn't get booked for a perceived dive?

Wait a minute, isn't the trip on Benni then in the same category as Tugay's trip he conceded a penalty and got sent off for?

i.e. accidental

Very good point there.

I am soooo glad you all enjoyed your trip south. As you can imagine I am disappointed we didn't get anything from the game.

In the first half we were very good, and should have led by more than 1 going into the break (and would have been if Doyle had passed to Sidwell instead of trying to beat Freidal from an impossible angle :angry: )

Second half all change, you realised that you needed to play narrow, which is exactly what you did, putting four across the very middle of the park, overwhelming our two and ran the show. Fully deserved the equaliser.

After that though it looked to me as though you were beginning to settle for a point as we were really starting to get back into it before Oster decided to pick out Bentley with a pearl of a pass :angry::angry: .

Top shot from Bentley though, deserving of winning any game.

Good luck for the rest of the Season, although if you play like you did second half you will be fine, and I hope that we don't need anything from the game in May (other than maybe a chance of a UEFA place (he says hopefully))

It's good to finally see some sensible and pleasant supporters of other clubs on this board. Good luck with the rest of the season, and more importantly - the next season. Establish yourselves as a 10-12th placed team and you should be happy, you will then get your chance to climb up towards Europe.

As for us.. I am fully confident we've got good enough players to end up where we ended last season, we just have to get that run going. And if possible, give McCarthy the strike partner he deserves..

To add to that - I've now fully understood what a great signing David Bentley was. Yes he can be erratic at times, but he's still very young, and the crossing, shooting and overall techniqual abilities are top top stuff. Keep it up, David, and you'll be an England international in a few years.

It's good to finally see some sensible and pleasant supporters of other clubs on this board. Good luck with the rest of the season,

Indeed, the guests on here and the Nob Knob members seem the most even and open minded fans I've come across on the net. And I've come across quite a few I can tell you.

i.e. accidental

Why would Andy Gray do that?? Does he phone the Ref every time twinkle toes Ronaldo doesn't get booked for a perceived dive?

Very good point there.

But we all know that the ref got the Tugay one wrong, and IMO the video review panel wrongly upheld the decision on instructions from the FA because of what Mark Hughes had said - ie to protect the reputation of the referee.

Graham Poll - it seems - got this one correct, and two wrongs don't make a right.

Saturday's incident and the subsequent TV pundit verdicts doesn't help the argument in favour of instant video refs. The BBC lot had 5 hours in nice warm studios with lots of equipment to decide it was a blatant dive. Andy Gray took 25 hours to decide the opposite - aided by probably better technology.

What chance has some poor freezing bloke in the stands with a 12" monitor and 10 seconds to call it??!

But we all know that the ref got the Tugay one wrong, and IMO the video review panel wrongly upheld the decision on instructions from the FA because of what Mark Hughes had said - ie to protect the reputation of the referee.

No he didn't , Tugay made contact and according to the letter of the law he had to go. The ref was right, it's the law that's wrong. There was no instruction given by the FA and there is no conspiracy against Rovers.

You're right about video evidence not being the complete answer though. Other than "ball over the line" type decisions nearly everything else is subjective even when viewed over and over. i.e. many commentators still think Ronaldo didn't dive against Boro because they think Schwarzer had intent and Ronaldo was forced to take evasive action which denied him a goalscoring opportunity.

Ridiculous imo but there you go.

No he didn't , Tugay made contact and according to the letter of the law he had to go. The ref was right, it's the law that's wrong. There was no instruction given by the FA and there is no conspiracy against Rovers.

Say what you like Rev but imo that idiocy is as much affecting the falling crowd situation as anything else.

I've said many times that sendings off must be avoided at all costs. Cheating the punters of a fair contest leaves a sour taste in the mouth whether home or away and needs to be avoided as much as possible. (I still haven't gone away as much since Jason Wilcox got sent off at Forest! :rolleyes: ).

Imo we also see the big club v small issue come into play here too as it's cast iron certain that players playing for the big 4 would not have been sent off for the same misdemeanouirs that our lot walked for this season. I'm afraid that I still cannot get my head around the fact that a player can be sent of for an unintentional action or collision just because he is the last man.

Sendings off for serious violent conduct fine, but all minor stuff as we have seen from our lot this season would be better punished by a 'blue?' card for compulsory substitution. A player 'sent off' should get castigated from the manager, his teamates, the fans, press media the lot for letting them all down but so often nowadays we now see players receiving widespread sympathy with the anger reserved for the ref / FA / UEFA ...... and that cannot be a satisfactory or healthy situation.

Say what you like Rev but imo that idiocy is as much affecting the falling crowd situation as anything else.

I've said many times that sendings off must be avoided at all costs. Cheating the punters of a fair contest leaves a sour taste in the mouth whether home or away and needs to be avoided as much as possible. (I still haven't gone away as much since Jason Wilcox got sent off at Forest! :rolleyes: ).

Imo we also see the big club v small issue come into play here too as it's cast iron certain that players playing for the big 4 would not have been sent off for the same misdemeanouirs that our lot walked for this season. I'm afraid that I still cannot get my head around the fact that a player can be sent of for an unintentional action or collision just because he is the last man.

Sendings off for serious violent conduct fine, but all minor stuff as we have seen from our lot this season would be better punished by a 'blue?' card for compulsory substitution. A player 'sent off' should get castigated from the manager, his teamates, the fans, press media the lot for letting them all down but so often nowadays we now see players receiving widespread sympathy with the anger reserved for the ref / FA / UEFA ...... and that cannot be a satisfactory or healthy situation.

Sorry Rev but for the first time ( I think :P ) have to agree with Theno again!! (omg :o ) on this but I do agree on video evidence not being the complete answer though.

No he didn't , Tugay made contact and according to the letter of the law he had to go. The ref was right, it's the law that's wrong.

OK Rev, so I'll go with you on that. Tugay made (accidental) contact, therefore foul, therefore penalty. Denied an obvious goalscoring opp therefore red card. Reading defender (Sonko?) on Sat made contact, therefore foul, therefore penalty? If not, what's the difference (apart from a sensible ref)?

I know is Heresy to you lot, but Google didn't help. Is there a similar board for Burnley fan(s). I have to do a preview for that game as well.

And we all hope you give them a right good seeing to (as they say in Lancs). In other words give 'em a good stuffing, and when you've done that just go on and score another one and tell them that's from us. They will really appreciate that! :lol:

OT.

Does SAS have SAS on the back of his shirt? Seen that shirt at B'Burn train station a couple of times and at Reading on Sat.

Does Jordan have Orvil on the back of his shirt? Saw that on Sat'day too.

Your right about both of them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.