BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Savage

Baz

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having watched Sav in the sky studio I'd be surprised if he doesn't leave in January. He seemed quite down to me, whether that's me looking too hard for something I do not know.

I think even the most ardent Savage fan would admit his role in our team is now minimal at best. At 33 he can no longer do what he does best - run around like a madman. He did what we bought him to do and now we must move on. His broken leg last season has probably shaved 6-12 months off his Rovers career.

If we can get 1.5m we'd be stupid not to take it - Hughes isn't stupid and neither is JW, so expect his exit.

The thing that I find hilarious is that Roy Keane would like to sign Robbie Savage :D

I've not been a massive fan of Savage but he has been a decent player for us. Nowhere near Tugay, Batty, Sherwood but decent. I'd bite Sunderlands hand off at 2million though. He's past it now and we need freshness in midfield.

I think Ramos is getting Huddlestone in shape and will keep him. I'd be looking at Darren Fletcher, Steve Sidwell, Emre, Ben Watson and Lee Cattermole (keeps getting linked from Boro and is a good young player with lots of bite and potential).

I think and hope this is gonna be a busy window, the squad needs changing and we need some younger players and pace...

I agree Bish - Lee Cattermole is a perfect replacement for Sauvage (apart from the flailing arms and flowing locks!)

Dont think the Geordies will get rid of Emre.

One Love - BRFC

I agree Bish - Lee Cattermole is a perfect replacement for Sauvage (apart from the flailing arms and flowing locks!)

Dont think the Geordies will get rid of Emre.

One Love - BRFC

I like Cattermole and am really suprised to see him linked away from Boro to Watford. He's a good one and would be popular with our fans.

Wonder if Adam Johnson is available from Boro, Downing is ahead of him and he'd be a great replacement for MGP.

We still need someone experienced and Fletcher or Sidwell would be my number 1 target. Stilian Petrov may be quite cheap and useful now too.

Having watched Sav in the sky studio I'd be surprised if he doesn't leave in January. He seemed quite down to me, whether that's me looking too hard for something I do not know.

I think even the most ardent Savage fan would admit his role in our team is now minimal at best. At 33 he can no longer do what he does best - run around like a madman. He did what we bought him to do and now we must move on. His broken leg last season has probably shaved 6-12 months off his Rovers career.

If we can get 1.5m we'd be stupid not to take it - Hughes isn't stupid and neither is JW, so expect his exit.

The thing that I find hilarious is that Roy Keane would like to sign Robbie Savage :D

I am a huge Sav fan and would not want him to leave but after reading that I actually agree with you, in the games he has played this season he just doesn't seem to do what he does best which is narrowing the pitch, its a shame as players like him are rare but agree a 2 mil fee would be to good to turn down.

It sounds like the Sunderland deal may be done. However, we are in a strong position because it appears a number of clubs would like to sign Savage (Derby & Wigan also been linked).

This means we can bargain a decent fee.

I honestly think his departure would not be that big a loss (on the pitch), as it means we can strengthen in other areas. Sav is 33 now and his energy levels have dropped with the injuries he has picked up.

It looks like Lance Davids (midfielder) would be brought in for £500k, so good business all round.

Midfielders: Lance Davids (Djurgardens), Kagisho Dikgacoi (Lamontville Golden Arrows), Teko Modise (Orlando Pirates), Surprise Moriri (Mamelodi Sundowns), Steven Pienaar (Everton), Siphiwe Tshabalala (Kaizer Chiefs), Elrio van Heerden (Club Brugge)

He's also one of the highest earners at the club, so it wouldn't be a bad thing for the wage bill. Only sell if we have a very good replacement lined up though.

Indeed, the wage consideration is an important one. I have no idea what he's on, on FM07 (Yes I know! Ridicule me all you like) he was on £48k p/w, and while that may not be completely accurate he surely has to be on at least £30k. If we can sign a replacement who's on £15k then that'd mean £1m saved in wages assuming Robbie has 18 months left on his contract, and as such another £1m potentially to be used towards signing that replacement, or another player.

The £30k is just a pure guess, but shaving £15k (Or more) off the wage bill results in more money freed up than one might initially think. Hell, if the £48k is accurate we stand to save a lot of money. The problem, of course, being who we can replace him with?

Of the names mentioned in this thread I quite like Darren Fletcher, and several Man U fans whose opinions I trust rate him very highly too. No idea if he'd be available however, but Scholes, Carrick, Hargreaves and Anderson are all ahead of him in the pecking order, and Park can play there as well I think, so it's certainly possible.

Someone in another thread mentioned Albelda in the wake of a Valencia clearout, and that would be my dream signing (Well, Andrea Pirlo would, but if we're talking targets vaguely within the realm of possibility it'd be Albelda), but rather unlikely. Basically what I want is a holding defensive midfielder who won't give the ball away once he wins it. If Tobias Linderoth had still been at Copenhagen he'd have been a good option, but moved to Galatasaray in the summer so not going to happen.

The £30k is just a pure guess, but shaving £15k (Or more) off the wage bill results in more money freed up than one might initially think. Hell, if the £48k is accurate we stand to save a lot of money. The problem, of course, being who we can replace him with?

From what ive read Sav is on between 40-50 k , as the brum fans moaned that he was only going to rovers for the money and he has already signed a deal with them reportetly worth 35k per week

I think one of our Swedish friends has been championing Lance Davids on either Nicko or the Transfers thread.

The line-up for Rovers v Sunderland on Jan 2 will be a bit of a give away as to whether this story has any legs.

Well it's not me ;)

I saw DIF play just 2-3 times last season, and wasn't paying attention to Davids at all in any of the games. Opinion among the people I tend to discuss Swedish football with is that he's nothing special, but wouldn't embarrass himself either. He's versatile though, having played CM, RM and RB for DIF, which is perhaps what appeals to Hughes. As a player to make up the numbers (i.e replacing Mokoena) I suppose it could be a good signing, but unless he does a Samba (And let's face it, how common is that?) noone should expect him to improve our first eleven.

If Robbie is sold, and he doesn't ask for a transfer, don't forget he is almost certainly on a contract that will see him being entitled to most if not all of his outstanding wages unless he decides not to claim them.

As Derby, Wigan & Sunderland are not likely to matching his Rovers salary, getting him off the wage bill isn't quite that straight forward. Remember Leeds were paying for some of their players after two successive transfers!

Matching Rovers' salary is unlikely to be an issue if three year contracts are being bandied about. Rovers players are still not earning what Leeds were paying three years after Ridsdale has gone- Leeds were paying Matteo's differential whilst he was at Rovers simply to reduce the size of their contracted outgoings.

The Mail are reporting Steve Bruce as wanting Savage at Wigan! Therein lies some fun.

To be honest, I don't think we have ever seen the best of Robbie - and with his game being about high energy closing down of players - I doubt will ever will now.

I would hope that we would hold out for more than £1.5m - given that most of the clubs rumoured to be after him have more than enough money to pay a silly transfer fee and also match his Rovers wages.

If he goes - it will be with my best wishes - but I believe that Reid is far more effective in the "headless chicken" role in midfield - the Axe is far better in a defensive midfield role - and obviously Tugay and Dunn are more skillful. My worry would be - who to replace him with (as already mentioned Fletcher is a good option, though maybe a little pricey unless we get top price for Robbie)

Archived