BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Savage

Baz

I cannot see any of those names, bar Pedersen, leaving. Obviously I know just as much, or as little, as anybody else, but I just can't see it.

Pedersen on the other hand has always spelled out his ambitions loud and clear. I reckon we'll have to fight to keep him, but I still think he will be here next season.

With a top new forward and some luck with injuries we could have a really good team next season.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I understand it, David Bentley has no intention of going to a big club. His time at Arsenal left a bitter taste and he is enjoying being a first team regular too much at Blackburn.

Gamst would probably only leave for Champions League football.

Nonda will probably not be signed unless he really impresses for the remainder of the season. As it stands there isn't much between him and Roberts.

I wouldn't want to see Savage rushed back, but I would like him to get a lot of hours of reserve and friendly games under his belt.

I've said it before - Robbies game is totally reliant on being extremely fit and able to run around like a maniac for 90 mins. There is not a chance that we'll see a fully-fit and on form Savage before the end of the season IMO. When he is fully fit - I'd certainly have him in the starting XI away from home at least. Savage without the boundless energy would be the same as Dickov without the running. Both have limited ability - but make up for it with their work rate.

As I understand it, David Bentley has no intention of going to a big club. His time at Arsenal left a bitter taste and he is enjoying being a first team regular too much at Blackburn.

Um, wouldn't get your hopes up there mate. If anay of the big four came in with a serious offer and told hime he would get in or around the first XI I am sure he would be off. Can't really begrudge him that.

What we do have is a good bargaining position as he has just signed a new deal, and also the fact that he, along with Pedersen, are in that sort of gray area where they are clearly of the better players outside the top four, but not outstanding (unlike say, Duff was for us, or Saha at Fulham etc) and thus represent an expensive gamble (10 mill plus each I would imagine) for the big clubs.

I expect us to hold onto both of them through the summer, unless either of them move up another gear and move them into that outstanding player bracket.

McCarthy is the most vulnerable asset imo (dreaded clause!), but his own laziness might put off the big guns. Nelsen will stay.

Er ... McCarthy has said only recently that a "big" club wouldn't have been interested in him (because of his age) when he left Porto, so he joined Rovers. Can't see anything changing there.

Out of the others mentioned, only bENTLEY, nELSEN AND pEDERSEN WOULD CONCERN ME. Bentley's just signed a new deal so I don't think he's moving this summer. Nelsen - only Pompey were interested last time round, can't see him going either. Pedersen - think he wants to win something with us before he goes.

We are clearly a club on teh up, so I don't think we need despair about losing our best players.

There is not a chance that we'll see a fully-fit and on form Savage before the end of the season IMO.

Sav will play again this season, i have little doubt about that. Football defines him as a person and he will do everything he can to get back as soon as possible. His recovery so far has been amazingly quick and to have him back in training is just another gold star against his name to show what a professional he is.

I don't think hughes will rush him but as soon as robbie says he's ready to go you know he'll be on that team sheet and better than ever. :rover:

Sav will play again this season, i have little doubt about that.....

I don't think hughes will rush him but as soon as robbie says he's ready to go you know he'll be on that team sheet and better than ever. :rover:

I agree - Sav will definitely play this season - but I think we'll only be seeing him at 70-80% of his top game.

Most managers seem to have an unwritten rule, when a player is forced out of the team through injury, they get straight back in when fully fit.

Unlike when their place is lost through lack of form, when they must wait for another chance.

Therefore I expect Sav to be back in the side as soon as he is fit, irrespective of Moko's form.

Most managers seem to have an unwritten rule, when a player is forced out of the team through injury, they get straight back in when fully fit.

Unlike when their place is lost through lack of form, when they must wait for another chance.

Not always true, but still you play your best players unless they fail to perform. Savage hasn't failed to perform this season and there is no reason to leave him out, should he be fit. The axe however has been amazingly crap and suddenly played ok in a couple of games and is in amazing form :blink:

Who'd be a football manager? :tu:

If anay of the big four came in with a serious offer

He would not return to Arsenal.

Honestly. He wants first team football which he will not get at Man U or Chelsea. Only Liverpool at an outside chance, but I doubt they would be interested until he attracts attention from England.

I do, however, believe that he once he takes his game to the next level, if Rovers haven't moved up a level with him, he will probably look to make a move then.

I just can't see him moving this summer.

I still think Sav needs to be 100% before coming back, after all, since he wa injured (if I discount the Watford Game, since he played most of it), we are 4-0-2 in the Prem without him, and the losses were to Chelski and the Dunn dead-leg game w/ Everton.

That's not a bad record for us. Ain't broken, don't fix it, lets continue this run of form with this team to a European place! :)

However, if we backslide and are out of the FA cup, and lose a chance at Euorpe by the time he comes back, I'd still lean towards NOT having him play... again, let him get fully healthy before resuming. If his leg is still slightly weak, and it breaks again heading intot he offseason, we'll lose him for the start of the next campaign as well.

I concur w/ my fellow east coaster :wstu:

I'd love to have RS back--but at what cost? What if he should pick up another knock in the same spot or elsewhere if he 's subconciously compensating his stride just to be in the squad?

Difficult decision which I'm certain Sparky 's staff will get right. I suppose it's easy to take that tack as long as Aaron turns out steadily improving performances. Which presents this scenario:

What happens next fall when a fit (hopefully) Reidy, Savage & a more confident Mokoena are available for selection ?

Good problem to have, but still a bit of a quandry.

cheers.

I concur w/ my fellow east coaster :wstu:

I'd love to have RS back--but at what cost? What if he should pick up another knock in the same spot or elsewhere if he 's subconciously compensating his stride just to be in the squad?

Difficult decision which I'm certain Sparky 's staff will get right. I suppose it's easy to take that tack as long as Aaron turns out steadily improving performances. Which presents this scenario:

What happens next fall when a fit (hopefully) Reidy, Savage & a more confident Mokoena are available for selection ?

Good problem to have, but still a bit of a quandry.

cheers.

Certainly fills my head with dreams of a fantastic season. Reid, Savage, Mokoena (if his form doesn't slip), Tugs and Dunn. Let's hope Sir RedNose keeps at it - even though I loath him, he keeps Manure off Sparky for the time being.

I can't see how Robbie is going to get match-fit before the end of the season. We should be fielding the strongest side for every game that means anything until the end of the season (which is all of them), and that means everyone being as near to 100% as possible. There won't be time to ease him in gently like there has been with Dunny. In all honesty there is no way Dunny would have played as much as he has had Sav not got injured. So, barring further injuries, I reckon Robbie's going to have to wait until next season to play any kind of starring role. Hopefully he will get a full pre-season and be raring to go with the rest of them.

Leg breaks generally seem easier to 'rush' people back from. It's muscle injuries that are more dangerous to rush players back in terms of the re-curring threat. I can't think of a single instance when a player has come back from a broken bone and then broken that bone again by coming back too quickly. The key thing will be just getting him up to match fitness, the chances of doing him damage by coming back soon are almost none existent.

Leg breaks generally seem easier to 'rush' people back from. It's muscle injuries that are more dangerous to rush players back in terms of the re-curring threat. I can't think of a single instance when a player has come back from a broken bone and then broken that bone again by coming back too quickly. The key thing will be just getting him up to match fitness, the chances of doing him damage by coming back soon are almost none existent.

Didn't that very thing happen to Kevin Gallacher?

You're wrong there , I broke my leg in the August of one season and broke the same leg in the same place the following April of the same season ! My advice to Savage- forget this season , get ready for the next one.

Archived