BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Savage

Baz

ok then ill give you another bad tackle...... Neill on Carragher.

Neill on Carragher was a bad tackle. What's your point?

Neill's 'bad' tackle was hugely overplayed by the big club sucking media. In fact it was an excellent tackle. Neill took the ball first and just as with the penalty Tugay gave away against spurs, the contact by Neill on Carragher was only made by the trailing foot and not the leading one* like last night. Therefore any damage to an opponent could ONLY have been accidental.

*as opposed to the tackle by Ball on Dunn (during the Burnley slap-down game at'turf) when contact was made by both feet at the same time.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The topic on talksport’s radio phone in at the moment is (and to quote Adrian Durham):

“So Robbie Savage has broken his leg – Who else could football do without?” Actually applauding the fact he’s broken his leg and encouraging listeners to phone in.

Another example of this excuse of a radio station cashing in on other people's misfortune. I'm not bitter!

Why does that not surprise me. The ginger ball bag.

The topic on talksport’s radio phone in at the moment is (and to quote Adrian Durham):

“So Robbie Savage has broken his leg – Who else could football do without?” Actually applauding the fact he’s broken his leg and encouraging listeners to phone in.

Another example of this excuse of a radio station cashing in on other people's misfortune. I'm not bitter!

1. He shouldn't do that.

2. He definitely shouldn't do that until he knows how serious a break it is.

Massive blow for the mighty Rovers, but Robbie will back for the next season. Didn't see last night and by the comments on the Axe its not looking good. What can we say other than get someone in as cover or look elsewhere.

Does anyone know who we have in the reserves who can play in midfield and have some presence like Robbie?

It's a great testament to Savage the way he handled himself too. Not only did he sit down quietly without antics, he went into the tackle to get the ball.

Why is it a great testament?

If anything it begs the question why does he usually create such a girly scene when he goes down and he's not seriously injured!

If anything it begs the question why does he usually create such a girly scene when he goes down and he's not seriously injured!

I wondered that, isn't it meant to hurt when you break your leg. Instead he just looked slightly confused, but obviously knew something wasn't right.

It's a great testament because he had every opportunity to squirm like a lot of players do, and by doing that possibly securing a yellow card for the player who tackled him. I'm not at all saying he's been setting a good example earlier this season, but this time he did. Not only with his reaction, but also with the tackle he made - going one hundre percent for the ball. Unlike the Watford player..

As for the leg break, I don't know. There's times where a leg break can shock players enough to make them forget the pain, I don't remember the name of the player I was thinking of at the moment.. might've been Larsson. Savage did look in pain though, but it wasn't until he tried to stand on it he really reacted. Maybe he just thought it was a knock he could run off..

He may have done that when he first arrived.

Now, more often than not he jumps straight back up.

If Rovers had any concerns about the tackle presumably they would have made a complaint to the FA by now.

The fact is that whatever blue and white tinted hand wringing is going on in this topic, Rovers under Mark Hughes play a no nonsense physical game. Often wrongly picked on by a biased media, and probably also by match officials who take in the hype. But players are expected to go in hard, press the ball, and win 50 - 50 challenges. Savage's own game is built around that manner of play.

The incident which injured Savage (having watched it about 30 times now) was a 50 - 50 for a loose ball caused by his bad first touch.

Roles reversed, in that situation, we would expect every single player in blue and white to challenge for that loose ball as Bangura did. If that had been Nonda and he'd bottled out of the challenge he would be crucified and rightly so.

Some of the stuff on this thread is unreal. Wild Irish Rover thinks Savage should be taking legal advice!! Bangura got there fractionally late but to suggest there was intent is ridiculous. They are battling for their Premiership status, as we were when Mark Hughes took over.

We were all outraged back then when we were labelled a dirty team, but now almost everyone on this thread is sticking that label on Watford because of one incident!! When in fact they are top of the fair play league!!!

It's gut wrenching to lose Savage for the season - he is so important for Rovers. But people need to dissociate that fact from the clear evidence that Bangura did absolutely nothing wrong.

I suspect the "non-girly" activity was because he know he was actually badly injured. That old saw that commentators come out with about the badly injured not rolling about is generally correct. It is generally a rule that anyone who gets strechered-off and doesn't make a Lazarus-like recovery on the touchline is truely knackered.

The corollory being the likes of Drogba who drops like a rock clutching his face at every opportunity. If he really had that many injuries to his head he'd have a face like a butcher's chopping board.

Oh.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9DW_Z4s8JM

Great work from Benltey for the goal.

It was, but did you hear the commentator saying about Bentley bowling over the defener. Something I did not notice before, the chance that Derbyshire had, looks to me like he was fouled, lost his marker and the Watford player fell into Matty taking his legs out, used his arms too just to make sure too.

A fracture is a clean break, when part of the bone breaks away. Depending on the severity of the break and age of the person the leg might need to be pinned in order to rejoin the bone. The fibres then re-attach and grow back together.

You also hear hairline fracture being banded about. This (I'm led to believe) is just a crack in the bone. i think Andy Cole sustained 2 in 1 game and limped off. Think he was back playing within 6 weeks.

Then you have compound fracture... which is what happened to David Buust (sp?) Touch and go whether you come back from those but more and more these days players do (Laarson for eg)

Unless it's only a hairline fracture, Sav will be out for the remainder. Gutted....

well i fractured my arm 8 weeks ago and according to xrays its mended but ive done lots of wrist lig damage as well,developed a lump on it(which wasnt there before but all the docs say it was haahaha)and still cant twist it move it without it hurting like hell....mind you sav will have proper treatment and wont be given 6 differing nhs opinions at the new hossy.

Savage had to have his leg pinned.

thats bad eh?

my mate broke his leg in our 2nd game of the season and he had pins, screws, bands i think he said, the full works and he still isn't walking properly yet.

the worst thing about it was is that a team mate thought he just had cramp and lifted his leg up and pushed down on it causing the leg to bend like a you turn sign which wasn't a pretty picture!!

thats bad eh?

my mate broke his leg in our 2nd game of the season and he had pins, screws, bands i think he said, the full works and he still isn't walking properly yet.

the worst thing about it was is that a team mate thought he just had cramp and lifted his leg up and pushed down on it causing the leg to bend like a you turn sign which wasn't a pretty picture!!

Hmm, the rovers physio did the same to Savage.

According to the official text, Sav's had a successful operation on his leg. They also said they hope to have him back before the end of the season. Can't have been that bad a break in that case, but doubt if he does come back in time though.

According to the official text, Sav's had a successful operation on his leg. They also said they hope to have him back before the end of the season. Can't have been that bad a break in that case, but doubt if he does come back in time though.

The problem with Savage is that his game is based on very high stamina and work rate. There is no way he'll come back and be of much use this season I would have thought.

The fact is that whatever blue and white tinted hand wringing is going on in this topic, Rovers under Mark Hughes play a no nonsense physical game. Often wrongly picked on by a biased media, and probably also by match officials who take in the hype. But players are expected to go in hard, press the ball, and win 50 - 50 challenges. Savage's own game is built around that manner of play.

The incident which injured Savage (having watched it about 30 times now) was a 50 - 50 for a loose ball caused by his bad first touch.

Roles reversed, in that situation, we would expect every single player in blue and white to challenge for that loose ball as Bangura did. If that had been Nonda and he'd bottled out of the challenge he would be crucified and rightly so.

Some of the stuff on this thread is unreal. Wild Irish Rover thinks Savage should be taking legal advice!! Bangura got there fractionally late but to suggest there was intent is ridiculous. They are battling for their Premiership status, as we were when Mark Hughes took over.

We were all outraged back then when we were labelled a dirty team, but now almost everyone on this thread is sticking that label on Watford because of one incident!! When in fact they are top of the fair play league!!!

It's gut wrenching to lose Savage for the season - he is so important for Rovers. But people need to dissociate that fact from the clear evidence that Bangura did absolutely nothing wrong.

It was still a bad challenge though Tris. I'm sure he didn't mean injury but he turned his back and went over the ball with his studs up. Carless and almost cowardly challenge that these days warrants a red card.

Nothing we can do about it now though.

I have been suprised at people i knows responce to the injury. Most people have said they wish he hadn't been injured. Apart from the guy at the fish & chip shop, who said he was glad he broke his leg and i am now going to blank (& refuse to be served by) until savage returns from injury.

Archived