BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Savage

Baz

I'd love to see him back before the end of the season and it gives him something to aim at and to keep him going. Realistically it would be better to give him the rest of the season and post season to recover and then get him back in to pre-season.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, that is heartening news indeed! I would hope that Rovers' medical staff will be on top of the situation. Savage shouldn't be stressing his leg too greatly - it's been what ? 7 weeks? Tugay he's not, but we've certainly could have done witha healthy Robbie Savage.

Anyone have any update on the Reidy front? Defo done until August, right?

Guest shoppybrfc

Will Savage even get back in the first team, with The Axe playing out of his skin? Hughes seems to like Aaron, and it would be unfair to the Axe to be suddenly dropped just because Savage is fit. We're also much better defensively when The axe is playing. Letting in 1 goal in our last 5 games. If it Aint broke dont fit fix it.

Don't get me wrong, I like Sav, I wish him well, and I'd rather have too many options in the middle of the park than not enough. Having someone of his workrate and "heart" is always a good option.

If you want to point to a match where we missed him, point to Everton! Dunny off with a dead leg in what the 16th min, and we've got a midfield of Emo, Bentley Toogs and Gallagher for the rest of the match.

Sav. is easily a better player than Mokoena. The recent clean sheets are down to Nelsen, Samba, Freidel and Warnock not the Axe. Sav's big problems are Reid, Tugay and Dunn. However over the course of a season there is room for all of them to have fairly regular places in the first team. Different combinations for different situations even during the same match.

I can't beleive people are saying that Savage would not get in as soon as he is fit. After Freidel and Nelsen he has to be the next name on the teamsheet, not only because he is one of the outstanding midfield hustlers in the league but also because when ever he plays the rest of players feed off his energy.

Mokoena has been playing very well recently but he will lose his place to Sav when he is back, it is absolutely inevitable. Same goes for Reid who will walk back into the team.

If everyone was fit and up to speed I would imagine we would line up something like:

----------McCarthy---Roberts

--MGP-----Savage-----Reid----Bentley

Warnock--Nelsen----Samba--Ooijer/Emerton

------------------Freidal

Subs: Brown, Zurab, Tugay, Dunn, Derbyshire

Mokoena would struggle to even get in the XVI. Incidentally what a team that would be! Especially with the option of bringing on Dunn, Tugay and Derbs for the last half hour. Hurry back you three!

It is one thing to have his leg back together again, but a totally different proposition to get fully match fit and back into form.

Remember, he got so depressed that he lost a stone in weight. Last time he came back from injury, I seem to recall he struggled for form for a while, too.

Just because The Axe is not a darling of the crowd doesn't give Robbie a free pass back into the team, no matter how well he was playing before he got injured.

It is one thing to have his leg back together again, but a totally different proposition to get fully match fit and back into form.

Remember, he got so depressed that he lost a stone in weight. Last time he came back from injury, I seem to recall he struggled for form for a while, too.

The psychological effect needed to stick a foot in where it hurts frequently takes longer to repair than the fracture.

Sav has been a massive buy for us but I have to say that if all of Pedersen, Bentley, Dunn, Reid (my first choice midfield), Tugay, Savage and Mokoena are playing to their full potential next season, Sav will be at best starting on the bench.

No doubt Sparky will be looking to bring at least one midfielder in during the close season as well.

Anyway, it would be great to see Sav back before the season end. Hopefully we stay in the Cup long enough for Sav to have a nice target in May to aim to be ready for....

its not that i dont think he is part of our strongest team...rather whats the point in rushing him back and risking next season when The Axe is doing a fine job in his absence. I'd rather have a fully fit Savage at the beginning of next season.

The Axe is doing ok, but he's not doing so well to keep Robbie (when fully fit) out of the team.

Reid coming back to fitness will seem like a £5m+ signing for us this summer, remember how good he was last year. (that's assuming he regains the same kind of form)

The Axe is doing ok, but he's not doing so well to keep Robbie (when fully fit) out of the team.

Reid coming back to fitness will seem like a £5m+ signing for us this summer, remember how good he was last year. (that's assuming he regains the same kind of form)

Too many players soon. Come the close season merry go round we will prob be saying goodbye to some of the poorer ones and worryingly a couple of the more saleable ones. Under threat imo for one reason or another Gray (finished), Jeffers (spewed it), Tugay (age unfortunately), Nonda (we should be able to find better), Todd (too much water under the bridge with Hughes), Pederson (bigger / richer club target), Bentley (ditto), Macarthy (ditto), Nelsen (ditto).

Too many players soon. Come the close season merry go round we will prob be saying goodbye to some of the poorer ones and worryingly a couple of the more saleable ones. Under threat imo for one reason or another Gray (finished), Jeffers (spewed it), Tugay (age unfortunately), Nonda (we should be able to find better), Todd (too much water under the bridge with Hughes), Pederson (bigger / richer club target), Bentley (ditto), Macarthy (ditto), Nelsen (ditto).

The only one i'm worried about leaving is Pedersen, he's a media darling as well a good player...not a good mix for a "small" club like ourselves. Bentley is similar but I can't see him leaving just 6 months after signing a new contract. If he does it'll be for absolutely silly money.

I can't beleive people are saying that Savage would not get in as soon as he is fit. After Freidel and Nelsen he has to be the next name on the teamsheet, not only because he is one of the outstanding midfield hustlers in the league but also because when ever he plays the rest of players feed off his energy.

Mokoena has been playing very well recently but he will lose his place to Sav when he is back, it is absolutely inevitable. Same goes for Reid who will walk back into the team.

If everyone was fit and up to speed I would imagine we would line up something like:

----------McCarthy---Roberts

--MGP-----Savage-----Reid----Bentley

Warnock--Nelsen----Samba--Ooijer/Emerton

------------------Freidal

Subs: Brown, Zurab, Tugay, Dunn, Derbyshire

Mokoena would struggle to even get in the XVI. Incidentally what a team that would be! Especially with the option of bringing on Dunn, Tugay and Derbs for the last half hour. Hurry back you three!

Dunn's a much more talented player than Reid. Likewise, Zura is a better right back than Ooijer. Otherwise, few complaints.

Archived