BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Savage

Baz

I think every team needs someone who represents the fighting heart of the team...who never gives up, whose motor never stops, who won't let the opponent have their way.

I think that is what Robbie brings to Rovers.

A team without that player is a team without heart.

My 'other team', DC United has such a player, a midfielder of course, Ben Olsen.

Other teams and their fans absolutely hate him. When he is on the field he brings that energy and in-your-face attitude that gets the rest going.

Sound familiar? When I see Robbie, I'm seeing Ben. And the reverse.

Love them both.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anybody can think back to the season that Leicester got relegated, I seem to recall that they beat us at home and away. 0-1 at Ewood if memory serves and Savage beat us on his own. He chased every ball, made every tackle, harried every opponent. He was and is magnificent in that role.

He can't spray the ball 40 yards to flying wingers, but that's not his job. He is the engine room in the middle of the park that gives the team its pulse. I can't believe that there are people out there that think there is no place in the team for him. His is one of the first names on the teamsheet for me as he allows the likes of Pedersen, Bentley, Tugay and Dunn to push on. He gives great protection to the back four as well, thus allowing Warnock and Emerton to push on.

We missd him when he was injured last season. I wouldn't be surprised if we missed out directly on Europe because of his absence.

I myself really values Savage in the team, but with the style of his play, he will be less effective as he ages. Few 35-37 year olds can maintain his level of enegry.

We don't want to end up with the predicament we have with the Tugay situation with Savage. Tugay may well be entering his last season as a Rovers player, even as a player, and we still have no clear cut replacement for him. His playing style does however mean that he can sit back and spray those passes around even at 38(?).

Savage will most likely not be able to maintain his game at that age. Rovers need to look for his replacement while he still is at a top level. Thus allowing to bring "the new guy" into that role carefully, and make it possible for him to learn from Sav.

If anybody can think back to the season that Leicester got relegated, I seem to recall that they beat us at home and away. 0-1 at Ewood if memory serves and Savage beat us on his own. He chased every ball, made every tackle, harried every opponent. He was and is magnificent in that role.

Must say I was mighty disappointed to see him sign for Brum. I would have thought that Souness would have seen that he was just what we wanted. Maybe he did but more like Sav carried no errr 'dowry' with him. <_<

Anyway more praise........

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport...t_to_savage.php

He can't spray the ball 40 yards to flying wingers, but that's not his job. He is the engine room in the middle of the park that gives the team its pulse. I can't believe that there are people out there that think there is no place in the team for him. His is one of the first names on the teamsheet for me as he allows the likes of Pedersen, Bentley, Tugay and Dunn to push on. He gives great protection to the back four as well, thus allowing Warnock and Emerton to push on.

I'd agree with that 100%. As some sage once said "He carries the piano." Work it out.

• 2 months later...

I really think we'd benefit from playing MGP on the left again now, he's looked good the last couple of times he has come on. This may be a blessing in disguise as we might have to play him for the next couple of weeks. I'm not sure a midfield of Dunn, Mokoena, Tugay and Bentley would be able to trouble United and Liverpool. We'll need real game winners for the big games and MGP is one of the few we have.

Actually, not that I ever want a player to get injured, but if it was going to happen to Sav, this might be a decent time for it...

After all, in the past few eyars, haven't we seen a healthy dose of the Axe vs. teh likes of the top 4, and guess who our next 2 opponents are....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm not one of Savages admirers at Rovers, couldn't understand why Hughes bought him and two seasons on I'm no wiser, he's never won us a game on his own in all that time. If we can get £1.5 million for him now SELL.

Yeah right.... good idea Tyrone. But you really need to finish that by suggesting a replacement for the same money. Remember the golden rule that we must replace with equal or better before we get rid.

Savage has on many occasions been brilliant for Rovers and has certainly been worth the expenditure. However, he is not the same player now having critically lost that pace which meant the headed chicken got there to disrupt the opposition previously.

If Sparky is selling, he has either already seen enough of Sav on the training ground to know he has to cut his losses whilst people are offering or a deal is already struck in the incoming direction. No doubt we will have played Sunderland at Ewood before finding out- if then.

The Telegraph have upped the Mail's offer to £2m. Who needs Roy Keane with a cheque book when the papers are set on getting our initial money back through a bidding war between themselves? Anyway, Sav gets a three year contract and a move closer to his parents in Wrexham.....

I don't agree with you at all, Tyrone, but let's be realistic. If we can get 1,5 to 2 million pounds by selling Savage at this point, it's worth considering. He's 33 now after all, and even though I think he will be missed, that money can hopefully fund a replacement or a strengthening in another area.

I've not been a massive fan of Savage but he has been a decent player for us. Nowhere near Tugay, Batty, Sherwood but decent. I'd bite Sunderlands hand off at 2million though. He's past it now and we need freshness in midfield.

I think Ramos is getting Huddlestone in shape and will keep him. I'd be looking at Darren Fletcher, Steve Sidwell, Emre, Ben Watson and Lee Cattermole (keeps getting linked from Boro and is a good young player with lots of bite and potential).

I think and hope this is gonna be a busy window, the squad needs changing and we need some younger players and pace...

I think Ramos is getting Huddlestone in shape and will keep him.

Only time I've been aware of Huddlestone was in Spurs Boxing Day game. From what I saw on MOTD they'd be foolish to sell him.

Archived